PDA

View Full Version : Spybot Christmas Presents, Part 1: Bootable CD

PepiMK
2007-12-12, 18:32
Please note: This tool will be part of Spybot-S&D 2.0 Professional Edition and of commercial variants of Spybot-S&D 2.0. It is no longer available as a separate download.

Disclaimer: this is a beta - work in progress (means feedback is quite welcome)! The tool creates a bootable and usable CD, but the CD is quite bare currently, no runtime optimization etc.. Also, a 1 GB (yepp, that's right, 992 MB to be exact) requires a broadband connection. That said, let's get some description...

Some malware can best be removed if the infected system, including the malware itself, is not active during the cleaning. To use another system, one needs either a second full installation, or a operating system bootable from CD.

There are existing solutions to create bootable Windows CDs that include Spybot-S&D, including the well-known BartPE environment (this is not intended as competition to it). The BartPE solution has the disadvantage that the user needs to own a full Windows XP CD though (no recovery CD or partition only, and Win9x/ME CDs are not sufficient either), and some understanding of the process to create the CD.

The goal of this tool is to create a bootable CD with a minimum of interaction by the user required; our method skips or automates the difficult parts and tries to be as simple as possible using these steps nearly every user should be capable of (*):
Download a DVD image from Microsoft (Windows Automated Installation Kit).
Burn that DVD image to a real DVD
Install the software from that DVD
Run our tool to create an ISO file of a bootable CD
Burn that ISO file to a real CD
Boot from that CD and use Spybot-S&D(*) The only downside to this solution is that the user needs to download a Microsoft file of 1 GB, which needs broadband access.

So your requirements would be:
DVD burner (or CD burner if you extract the DVD image and install from the extracted files)
Empty DVD (if you don't have one, you can install from an extracted version of the image)
Empty CD (unless you only want to test the created image in VMWare)
Broadband connection (or any other way to get the Windows Automated Installation Kit DVD)And to create the CD, Microsoft specifies the following OS as a requirement:

Windows Server 2003 SP1; Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista
Windows XP SP2 with KB926044
Windows Server 2003 SP1 with KB926044
Windows Server 2003 SP2
Windows Vista family Download: No longer available.

And of course some screenshots:

Wizard page 1, prerequisites:

http://www.safer-networking.org/images/spybotsd/spybotbootcdcreator-1.png

Wizard page 2, application selection:

http://www.safer-networking.org/images/spybotsd/spybotbootcdcreator-2.png

Wizard page 3: ready to start:

http://www.safer-networking.org/images/spybotsd/spybotbootcdcreator-3.png

Wizard page 3, again: CD image was created:

http://www.safer-networking.org/images/spybotsd/spybotbootcdcreator-4.png

PepiMK
2007-12-13, 22:22
Quick update: current version detects applications only on 64 bit systems, updated one will be available tomorrow or the day after :)

PepiMK
2007-12-16, 08:24
Ok, the download link above now has an updated version (1.0.3), which should work on 32 and 64 bit systems.

Also comes with a basic plugin system that would allow easy extension, while keeping it the same simple three-steps-only way.

beltman713
2007-12-16, 23:32
Couldn't get it to work, got this message...

Press the Finish button to start creating the CD.
Started creating CD...
Copying regalyzer...
Copying runalyzer...
Copying spybotsd...
Application menu created.
Copying operating system files...
Mounting image file system...
Executing C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\imagex.exe...
ImageX Tool for Windows
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1981-2005. All rights reserved.
Mounting (RW): [C:\SpybotBootCD\winpe.wim, 1] ->
[C:\SpybotBootCD\Mount]
Error mounting image (RW):
Access is denied.
Something went wrong, system hive file does not exist!
CD was not prepared sucessfully!

Check the above for error messages, we could not create a valid ISO file.

PepiMK
2007-12-17, 11:12
Hmmm.... I just tried with a fresh installation of it, works fine.
Which OS are you using to do create the CD? Vista maybe (in that case I would have to take a closer look at the Microsoft tools used here, e.g. the image mounting tool, on how to run it with sufficient rights)?

beltman713
2007-12-17, 11:39
Using XP Pro.

PepiMK
2007-12-17, 15:25
It works fine on XP Pro 64, but I could reproduce a problem, not exactly the same, but also with imagex.exe (Microsofts tool to handle the disk image), on XP Pro 32. The whole procedure is also described in an example from Microsoft, which fails as well, so I start to think there's a big in imagex.exe ...

beltman713
2007-12-18, 00:23
Yeah, I'm running 32 bit.

chewdz
2007-12-18, 14:07
does this works on any Microsoft operating systems?

PepiMK
2007-12-19, 00:03
Any? Well, the CD, once created, can be used to repair any OS.

Creating the CD is a bit different I'm afraid. On XP Pro 64 bit it works for sure :D
Microsoft designed it for the newest OS onl though... Here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C7D4BC6D-15F3-4284-9123-679830D629F2&displaylang=en) you can see a list of what they say these tools support:
Windows Server 2003 SP2
Windows Vista familyXP SP2 is surely named there; and I think while the first one probably means the 64 bit version (since that is more 2003 than XP), the second mentioning should really mean 32 bit XP.

Test supported Operating Systems (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=153) is the task I wrote for us where you'll probably find more information soon.

If this is all too bad, we might have to think about using a third-party extracting for those .wim files I guess, if one exists.

2007-12-19, 19:32
i like the idea!

Coronamaker
2007-12-20, 01:56
Just curious, when using this would the user need to burn a new Boot CD to have current updates, or is there another way to use a bootable CD with current detections? For instance I use the AVG Rescue CD for viruses, and the Boot CD Image gets updated every 4 months or so, but it allows you to update the definitions from a removable drive or the internet if your NIC has the drivers in the Boot CD image.

chewdz
2007-12-20, 12:52
Creating the CD is a bit different I'm afraid. On XP Pro 64 bit it works for sure :D
Microsoft designed it for the newest OS onl though... Here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C7D4BC6D-15F3-4284-9123-679830D629F2&displaylang=en) you can see a list of what they say these tools support:
Windows Server 2003 SP2
Windows Vista familyXP SP2 is surely named there; and I think while the first one probably means the 64 bit version (since that is more 2003 than XP), the second mentioning should really mean 32 bit XP.

If this is all too bad, we might have to think about using a third-party extracting for those .wim files I guess, if one exists.

well... It does not support Windows 2000 SP4...... but never mind. Can u let us know if there is any third-party extracting softwares/applications which can do similar functions?

PepiMK
2007-12-20, 12:53
Yes, I think it should allow dynamic live CD updates. That's a feature we added for the BartPE version some time ago already - updates would get downloaded to the RAM disk and used from there, regardless of the burnt ones.
I guess the problem here would be to add NIC drivers, I didn't deal with that yet, but it should be possible (BartPE can do that as well ^^).

Coronamaker
2007-12-29, 21:12
Ran from Windows Server 2003, no problems at all. Would it be possible to add a Browse button for the AIK Installation Location or to have it read the location from the registry? Not a problem really, but it may be easier for some people who don't use the standard install of the AIK. Other than that working fine and a nice tool to have.:bigthumb:

PepiMK
2007-12-29, 23:11
Thanks for the report, added 2003 Server to the list of working OS's, and added your feature request here (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=158) :) (indeed a good idea, I admit I spent most of the time on the functionality only, and not a lot on the GUI so far, having a browse button is really standard ;-) )

Soultrain
2008-03-07, 13:30
Basically it is a Windows PE 2.0 with Spybot in it. Wouldn't it be rather simpler to make a portable version of spybot and put it on windows pe 2.0 tools folder while building it?

Just one more question as I didn't test this yet. Does it have a graphical user interface or just runs on command line just as the windows pe 2.0?

Anyway, it is great to see new tools coming out... :)

PepiMK
2008-03-07, 15:01
Yes, it's the full graphical version; the command line version is only used in the distributed testing thing currently.

What is "rather simpler" usually depends ;) You could use Spybot-S&D for example with a BartPE CD for years. But you would need to copy the files into a special folder &c.; this one is aiming to get as much a one-click solution that would allow unexperienced users to create a CD to scan their system.

Soultrain
2008-03-07, 18:01
Yes, it's the full graphical version; the command line version is only used in the distributed testing thing currently.

What is "rather simpler" usually depends ;) You could use Spybot-S&D for example with a BartPE CD for years. But you would need to copy the files into a special folder &c.; this one is aiming to get as much a one-click solution that would allow unexperienced users to create a CD to scan their system.

Well, I am glad it has a GUI. Command line make us waste a lot of time, which is needed to fix whatever needs to be fixed.

The only reason why I wondered if wouldn't be easier to develop a portable version of Spybot is that I am aiming to build my own winpe 2.0 and add a few tools that I consider essential, and that also includes, of course, security software such as Spybot. But for what I can understand from your words this project is aiming to be a one-click solution, which would also mean it would be possible to add it to winpe 2.0, or where ever people want to add it. Or am I just being silly? :angel:

So... anyway... as I mentioned before it is great to see a new tool coming out and I wish the best of lucks for it!!!!

kbz1960
2008-03-09, 14:49
I would love this. I have worked on some computers that were nothing short of a pain in the a__ to get rid of some nasties! :bigthumb:

NerdsOfTech
2008-03-10, 13:29
I heard of a few live CDs that have been successful tools to bypass the entire windows OS and do its thing.

Alann1
2008-05-24, 14:52
This looks like a great idea! I highly support any effort to make this easier!

I'm a very literal user, so when I read instructions, and it says, go to Microsoft and download the Windows Automated Installation Kit, I try to do that. As I read through your instructions, I had the feeling that the first part of the instruction was a sort of preview of what would be required to make this disk. If this is the case, it would be helpful to start the instrutions with "This is what all you will be asked to do and this is what all you'll be able to do when you haven completed the instructions." For me the literal user, this means - hold on .. these are not yet the actual instructions. I know a lot of time has passed since the last posts, but I hope to see the new set of instructions in this thread and have a chance to try out your great idea!

Alenz

Coronamaker
2008-07-17, 22:59
Well there hasn't been much said on this thread for a bit so I figured I would share this as a "Just in case." I have been using the Vista AIK for my SpyBot CD build files, everything had been fine. I recently updated my AIK to the Vista SP1 AIK from MS, and had errors trying to build afterwards.

After I updated Vista AIK, Spybot CD Creator could not find three files

oscdimg.exe
peimg.exe
imagex.exe

I copied the files from the default location to the following locations and the CD creator worked.

...\Windows AIK\Tools\peimage.exe
...\Windows AIK\Tools\imagex.exe
...\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\oscdimg.exe

May or may not help anyone but I love the boot cd and use it frequently.

TwistedMike
2008-10-10, 01:31
i was just wondering if it would be possible for you guys to put up a already made SB cd to download so that all we have to do is download and burn instead of having to install more apps to do it.

PepiMK
2008-10-10, 01:57
Well, Windows is copyrighted by Microsoft, so that would need Michosofts permission. While Windows PE is not the regular expensive standard Windows license, it's not free either. See the WAIK_LICENSE.rtf file:
3. Scope of license. [...]
You may not
[...]
* publish the software [Win PE] for others to copy;
[...]
* transfer the software or this agreement to any third party; or

So the license would not allow us to offer a ready CD. Feel free to ask Microsoft to make an exception for us ;)

(we thought about making a Linux CD using Wine, but Wine doesn't support existing standard registry hives imho, and just scanning the files and not the registry might cause more trouble then help)

TwistedMike
2008-10-10, 22:57
yes well i wouldn't want you guys to get into trouble so i guess that idea is a no go :nono: but i will try and see if there is a way that microsoft might let you do it its a long run but anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

chardish
2008-10-22, 15:33
What are the minimum system requirements for this boot CD? I just tried it on a machine that's about 3 years old and I get a blue screen during the standard Vista loading screen (the one with just the green bar and the words "(C) Microsoft Corporation").

The message on the blue screen is SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED. Any clues? The same disc works fine on other machines.

PepiMK
2008-10-22, 21:02
The latest AIK is Vista based, so it might be similar to absolute minimum Vista requrements :sad:

3 years old shouldn't be a problem there though, I used older Vista testing machines already.

chardish
2008-10-24, 21:21
This issue is resolved for me, but as you're the developer I figured I'd tell you what I did:

I did some googling on that BSOD message and it seemed like it might be an I/O issue with the DVD drive. So I tried booting from an external USB DVD drive and got the issue SESSION1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED.

At this point I didn't know what the issue was but it certainly seemed to be specific to that individual machine - the same disc booted fine on the 4 other machines I tried it on, including a laptop of similar vintage.

Ultimately my solution was to remove the hard disk from the machine I wanted to clean off, put it in another machine, and boot. The S&D boot disk worked, and that machine (I'm happy to admit, it wasn't my machine) is now spyware-free. Cheers! Thanks for your hard work on this.

TwistedMike
2008-12-29, 21:21
i downloaded the boot CD creator and make it to step 3 and then i got this message

Started creating CD...
Copying spybotsd...
ImageX Tool for Windows
Error mounting image (RW):
Mount Error: GLE = -2145452012
Something went wrong, system hive file does not exist!
CD was not prepared sucessfully!

i dont know what to do i tried it several time and it was just the same thing

PepiMK
2008-12-30, 00:05
Hmmm... here is what it should look like:

Started creating CD...
Copying regalyzer...
Copying runalyzer...
Copying spybotsd...
ImageX Tool for Windows
Successfully mounted image (RW).
Loading registry hives...
Writing registry setttings...
Unloading registry hives...
Preparing CD image file system...
Executing C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\peimg.exe...
Preinstallation Environment Image Setup Tool for Windows
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
[==========================100,0%==========================]
PEIMG completed the operation successfully.
Unmounting image file system...
ImageX Tool for Windows
Unmounting: [C:\SpybotBootCD\Mount]...
Successfully unmounted image.
Creating ISO image file...
Executing C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\oscdimg.exe...
OSCDIMG 2.45 CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Premastering Utility
Copyright (C) Microsoft, 1993-2000. All rights reserved.
For Microsoft internal use only.
Scanning source tree
Scanning source tree complete (32 files in 14 directories)
Computing directory information
Computing directory information complete
Image file is 244113408 bytes
Writing 32 files in 14 directories to C:\SpybotBootCD\SpybotBootCD.iso
99% complete
Final image file is 244113408 bytes
Done.
100% complete

Creating your Spybot-S&D boot CD has finished.
Please use your favourite CD burning software to write the following file to a CD:
C:\SpybotBootCD\SpybotBootCD.isoGlrey is where it starts to differ.

The conditin at the "Something went wrong" line is a missing file Mount\windows\system32\config\system in the temporary folder where the CD is created. The message before that happens when running

imagex.exe /mountrw winpe.wim 1 (temporary path here) Mount

Which Windows version are you using, and is it 32 or 64 bit? It is something failing inside that imagex.exe (with the MS error code not being any help I'ld say). GLE stands for GetLastError, which just returns the last operating system error code... here (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms681381%28VS.85%29.aspx) is a list of codes that does not help ;)
I've tried to convert the displayed numer to something useful, without real success. Two ideas:
1. Do you have enough disk space? Maybe monitor while it is processing?
2. Could you match memory consumption in task manager while i tries to mount?
3. Cleaning the Updates folder inside the Spybot folder (except for downloaded.ini) first might help reducing the amount/size of files it needs to merge into the image and possibly avoid a problem due to 1 or 2.

TwistedMike
2009-01-02, 00:28
i think that i might know what the problem is. i have Spybot installed on my USB flash drive could that be the problem

PepiMK
2009-01-02, 12:57
As you can see at the beginning of the log, the Spybot files will be copied first (from the folder where it was detected as installed), so it should not matter where it was installed.
Also, the error happens when mounting an image that is "pure" yet (copy of original winpe.wim), so before the whole CD creation really gets to the point where Spybot comes into it.

ale5000
2009-03-07, 20:41
Can please add the possibility to add "standalone" tools that should appears on desktop when you use the live cd?

ale5000
2009-03-07, 21:07
I have installed this Windows AIK: 6001.18000.080118-1840-kb3aik_it.iso (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=94BB6E34-D890-4932-81A5-5B50C657DE08&displaylang=it)
on Windowx XP x64 SP2

I had to copy
C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\oscdimg.exe
to
C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools
to make it working with Boot CD Creator, please fix it.

But when I use the burned cd it say: Ramdisk device creation failed due to insufficient memory

PepiMK
2009-03-09, 11:41
PETools was a previous path for that file. Hmmm. Is peimg.exe also in an architecture-named path now? In that cas I would have to create an alternative fallback location for that as well.

ale5000
2009-03-10, 12:04
No, it is here: C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\peimg.exe

PepiMK
2009-03-10, 13:16
Updated the download page with a newer version (http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=14) :)

Not sure about the RAM disk issue. The tool more or less follows the default MS recommendation to create such a malware repair CD, I do not remember visible parameters no tweak that behaviour. How much memoy has the system you try the CD on?

ale5000
2009-03-10, 19:26
When I try to download the 1.0.4 I get the 1.0.3 instead.

PepiMK
2009-03-10, 19:54
Oh. sorry.. fixed URL!

ale5000
2009-03-11, 16:59
Not sure about the RAM disk issue. The tool more or less follows the default MS recommendation to create such a malware repair CD, I do not remember visible parameters no tweak that behaviour. How much memoy has the system you try the CD on?224MB of RAM, some parts of RAM are taken from the integrated graphics card.

DakineAthon
2009-03-11, 17:34
I have used Barts PE with Spybot SE for years with great success but I started getting errors when SB updated to 1.6. SB 1.4 would report problems with the definitions.

I'm happy to have a second bootable CDROM for SB 1.6 and your other plugins.

Unfortunately I can't add any drivers for Network cards and that prevents downloading updates directly.

How about providing a way we can add current definitions for SB 1.6 on one PC and then burn another CDR with those definitions to take to the problem PC.

I have tried and spent altogether too much time to find a Barts PE plugin for SB 1.6 which in my case would be the ideal but as I said I can live with a 2nd bootable CDROM.

ale5000
2009-03-11, 19:07
It would be nice to have the possibility to add ahci controllers and network cards drivers and also choose if create a 32bit or a 64bit CD.

Tommy Bear
2009-03-11, 19:10
I have followed all the instructions and everything works great, right up to an including booting from the CD. However, once the CD boots, I have no way to select programs from the interface - my mouse and keyboard do nothing!

What do I need to do?

Thanks!

I just thought, maybe I have no USB driver. Will plugging in an old mouse/keyboard into the mouse/keyboard jacks work?

ale5000
2009-03-13, 17:54
There is a guide to make plug-ins?

for example to take a file from "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\My application\file.dat" can I use "<required>[$ALLUSERSPROFILE]\Application Data\My application\file.dat</required>"?

PepiMK
2009-03-13, 19:04
@Tommy Bear: I have to admit the CD itself is a bit "raw". It offers the basics, not everything custom PE CDs might offer. Non-USB devices are probably better supported, but I'm a bit astonished that yours aren't. Are they directly attached, or through an USB hub? Bare Vista has problems with the later.

We do plan a much improved version as soon as we have more clarity from MS about licensing (regarding: offering finished CDs for those who find the tools & download requirements to much hazzle).

@ale5000: I've started documenting it here (http://wiki.spybot.info/index.php/Boot_CD_Plugins), but will need to read up a few things in the source to make sure its all correct. Might take a few days.

ale5000
2009-03-14, 00:37
What happens if an application use files from two different folders?

ale5000
2009-03-15, 01:54
@PepiMK: Have you tried to put many applications on the cd? some are shown at the right, out from the screen and also the icon of applications added by me aren't the icon of executables.

Also would be nice the possibility to add a service since there are applications that need it.

DakineAthon
2009-03-17, 19:13
I have found that by downloading and installing the latest detection rules on my PC and then copying them to "C:\Program Files\Safer Networking\Spybot-S&D Boot CD creator\plugins\Includes" when I build the Spybot BootCD these rules are applied to the BootCD.

I have also found that when I build my BootCD the Update.exe and Uninstall.exe are shown on the taskbar. Would there be a way to prevent this? We can't use either of them and they occupy extremely rare taskbar space. Would it be possible to use the desktop to show available applications?

Now I have to say this is turning out to be an excellent exercise.

Thanks for the work.

PepiMK
2009-03-18, 15:23
Update.exe and Uninstall.exe? Actually SDUpdate.exe and SDShred.exe should receive menu items. You could edit the plugins\spybotsd.xml file to remove the menuitem attributes from those you do not want to be listed. I'm still updating the wiki and working more an the code to improve that part currently :)

Stranded.one
2009-03-26, 13:48
I tried to use the creator program, but, after downloading the AIK, I can proceed no further. The AIK is saved as c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\vista_6000.16386.061101-2205-LRMAIK_EN.img but the setup window reports that "The AIK installation oes not seem to be complete. The required tool imagex.exe ... peimg.exe ... oscdimg.exe was not found". Reply #23 above talked about this 3 years ago, but where is the default location please? what am I doing wrong? What can I do if I have no DVD burner?

PepiMK
2009-03-26, 14:34
Have you tried the thing commented about above in #35?

I had to copy
C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\oscdimg.exe
to
C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools
to make it working with Boot CD Creator

The fixed version is not out you, so this step might be required. If its not a 64 bit machine, copy the one from C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\oscdimg.exe.

Anyway... after downloading the .img, you have to install its contents first, not sure if you did that? Without a burner, you would need some image mounting app. If you have Ahead Nero, it allows to mount images to drive letters. Otherwise, DaemonTools is an alternative. Both offer an additional virtual drive that can represent the contents of the archive. From there, you can install the AIK.

Stranded.one
2009-03-26, 20:00
Thanks. I have only the one file in C:\Program Files\Windows AIK, and no sub directories. How do I install the contents of the .img file, please?:sick:

DakineAthon
2009-03-27, 21:19
You must burn your .img file to cdrom as an image file, or as was mentioned previously mount the image to an emulated drive. After burning the .img to a cdrom you will then have a cdrom you can install the software from.

The files you need will be installed after running the the installation program.

Stranded.one
2009-03-28, 16:11
Sorry, I should have read the initial response more carefully. I have now used the Daemon Tools virtual DVD as described, and successfully installed the AIK. Again, many thanks - now to burn a cd and get my friend's computer free of malware once more! :alien:

Stranded.one
2009-04-01, 20:18
OK I have managed to produce the boot-up cd and I have proved that it works well (on my laptop, with 2GB RAM). But my friend's laptop displays the following screen when I try to use the boot-up cd:

"Windows Boot Manager
"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
"1. Insert your Windows istallation disc and restart your computer.
"2. Choose your language settings and thenclick "Next."
"3. Click "Repair your computer."
If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance."

The laptop in question is infected with Malware Defender 2009. It has "192M System RAM (Passed) and 1024k Cache SRAM (Passed)" according to the start-up screen message and 256MB RAM according to the system information program and huge amounts of space on the HDD (>5GB) No hardware has been changed from new. The only software changes have been the installation of Spybot, Avira, and Comodo Firewall. How much RAM is required to boot with the cd? Do I need to upgrade the RAM? Any suggestions, please?

BTW, I don't have a Windows XP disc to hand. If I use <ESC> another screen comes up, but hitting <Enter> on either available option returns me to the screen above.

ale5000
2009-04-02, 18:43
If I remeber correctly you need 512MB of RAM.

jmouse888
2009-04-30, 02:20
I tried to use the creator program, but, after downloading the AIK, I can proceed no further. The AIK is saved as c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\vista_6000.16386.061101-2205-LRMAIK_EN.img but the setup window reports that "The AIK installation oes not seem to be complete. The required tool imagex.exe ... peimg.exe ... oscdimg.exe was not found". Reply #23 above talked about this 3 years ago, but where is the default location please? what am I doing wrong? What can I do if I have no DVD burner?

never mind. didn't see the other responces. sorry.
--

You need to mount/burn the img file to a DVD drive, INSTALL Windows AIK onto your system to C:\Program Files\Windows AIK. Then it will work.

It's clearly stated on the screen in step 1 of the interface after you click on the bolded text which send you to the download site.

gprimr1
2009-05-07, 22:36
I love this tool.

My only issue would be that I wish the update feature worked. Every time I try to use it I get an error retrieving updates.

I think it has to do with the network cards not installing or drivers missing. If there was a way to include specific NIC card drivers, that would perfect.

In the mean time, I just cook a new ISO once a week and boot with GRUB4DOS.

fritzCAD3
2009-06-22, 15:13
Hi,i like the idea,simple is sexy..
but-downloaded the boot-CD (spybotbootcd-1.0.4.exe)here: http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=14
but getting wrong checksums (Hash tab 2.0.8)-??
tried with four downloaders.(firefox-downthemall,too)
just tried with 1.0.3 -checksum was ok!
can /should I use this 1.0.3 for XP-pro 32bit (old P4m-machine)?
(sorry,couldnt find the right forum on first try..)
Thanx for help!
fritz

c@ravan
2009-08-25, 22:56
Is there a way to get NIC drivers on using the Spybot boot CD creator?

mhillewa
2009-09-26, 07:00
Spybot CD Creator could not find three files

oscdimg.exe
peimg.exe
imagex.exe

I am using Vista SP2 and trying to create a disk to use on my XP SP2 desktop. I am unab le to find the above files. Where shoud I be able to find them?

codenerd
2009-09-30, 08:07
Hi- I created an ISO disk successfully for Vista using the instructions in this thread and the SD CD boot creator. However when I try to boot up my Toshiba Satellite running Windows Vista Ultimate I get the error:

Intel Boot Agent - No boot filename received.

I reset my BIOS to check the DVD drive first, and I know it's trying, but after the above message it gives up on the DVD drive device, then moves on to boot from the hard drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

codenerd
2009-09-30, 20:33
Mea culpa, newbie ISO creation learning experience. I figured out that just copying over the ISO file to the CD doesn't do it... figured out you must use the ISO file to creat an ISO image using 3rd party s/w (not do-able with Vista's built in burning utility). All is good.
Thanks.

kentlowt
2009-10-29, 22:24
Just thought I would report on my success and falures on building this CD. First the good news.
On a Vista machine the build process was easy and painless. :D
On XP very painfull I kept getting BSOD during the point in the process it said it was copying system files close to the beginning of the process. If you are interested in more information on the XP failure I can at a later time post machine and OS information for you as well as dump files or whatever you need.

Bob5555
2009-11-16, 17:29
Hello, I'm trying to use the spybot boot disk. I have created it and booted successfully off of it. My display is black with a toolbar at the bottom with options to create a command prompt or to reboot. I can create the command prompt, but can't find a file that looks like spybot to run. How do I start spybot from here? Thanks.

bungiroger
2010-01-19, 01:51
winXP Pro SP3, successful boot from cd. regalizer didn't work, tried to send error log, but machine not online, so couldn't try update either. Will try again with machine online later. everything else worked fine, no worries, Thanx.

raelxx
2010-06-18, 01:43
How do I make Spybot scan the hard disk using this CD? I tried it and I only get error messages from Spybot.

spybotsandra
2010-06-18, 12:34
Hello,

Which error message do you get exactly?
How did you proceed?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

raelxx
2010-06-18, 23:13
Hello,

Which error message do you get exactly?
How did you proceed?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Thanks for the reply! I got this:
"Could not load library: X:\Apps\Spybot (...)\advcheck.dll"
Then after it starts checking I get this other error message for every "bot" check:
"Error during check![name of the bot + some hex number] Access violation"

And that's it.

spybotsandra
2010-09-23, 13:40
Hello,

This error appears if the computers RAM is too small. This can happen when due to the fact that our detection rules steadily increase in size. A solution is to enlarge the RAM of the computer, the current save minimum is 768MB.
We are currently also looking for other solutions so that users with 512MB do not encounter this issue anymore.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

frankb
2010-10-13, 16:43
I made the disk. with win XP pro sp3.
loaded on friends computer that has trojan bug that does not allow to load SB.
loaded the CD went to SB and did its thing. said Congratulations.

Only that he booted up this morning and right back where he left.
still with bug ?
He said that he tried to go to start and control panel only to be denied?
ideas?

He did load SpotMozilla and it said 127 files corrupted. wants monies to remove?