PDA

View Full Version : Av System Care?????

beuford23
2007-12-13, 22:44
I don't know if I've posted in the right location, but I thought I would share this with those interested and those who may want to add to it.

A co-worker of mine had some pop ups on her desk top stating that her compter was "transfering unsecure information over the internet". Frightened by what she read she immediately installed the offered AV SYSTEM CARE for $89.90. I understand her worries as she is our office manager and has access to a lot of important information.
So, the troubles began. She asked me if I could help her because her email was acting weird and her Ineternet explorer wouldn't work. Lots of pop-ups from AVSC blocking material etc.
Anyways, I went into her office, uninstalled the program and set her up with AVG and Spybot S&D. It seems the problem is solved on her computer.
Now the problem begins with trying to get a refund. I called AV System Care countless times only to be routed thru a call waiting system. When my 'Q' finally reached being the next caller I was prompted to leave a voice message as no-one could answer the call. the voicxe mail box - full, EVERY TIME!!!
Today I finally reached a voice at the other end and wound up in an argument with the woman when I told her that as I had read,
"AVSystemCare is classified as a rogue anti-Spyware infection. AVSystemCare uses highly aggressive marketing tactics such as system tray security alerts, pop-ups and bogus system scans containing false results. All of these tactics are designed to entice the user to purchase the full version of the AVSystemCare"

I'm I wrong or nuts? Isn't this the very same thing that has a class action suit against it now?

tashi
2007-12-14, 01:17
Hello.

A co-worker of mine had some pop ups on her desk top stating that her compter was "transfering unsecure information over the internet". Frightened by what she read she immediately installed the offered AV SYSTEM CARE for $89.90.
The first sign of a rogue infection. A popup telling the user their machine is infected which is the scare tactic. Then asks you to purchase their program in order to remove the (fake) infection.

The real infection is the scam.

Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites (http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm)

Sorry to hear of the problem, but I doubt very much that you will receive a refund from that company. :sad:

A search on Google will bring up many topics of people asking for help to remove AV System Care.

You can make your voice heard here: Malware Complaints (http://www.malwarecomplaints.info)

beuford23
2007-12-14, 01:39
Unfortunate indeed and sadly that is how some become more educated.

Funny enough, it was around noon time that I had my "colorful conversation with Judy". At 12:31 our bookkeeper received a confirmation email that another 49.95 was being charged to our company's credit card for the "Upgrades"

Looks like the boss will be cancelling our Mastercard today.

Oh if I was only asked first what the pop-ups were about!!!

tashi
2007-12-14, 02:02
At 12:31 our bookkeeper received a confirmation email that another 49.95 was being charged to our company's credit card for the "Upgrades"

Looks like the boss will be cancelling our Mastercard today.
Ouch, you might advise the boss to query the charges and request they be removed.

beuford23
2007-12-14, 02:13
Yes, we already have Mastercharge taking on the initial charge of 89.90 (bill states 94.96)
The boss is cancelling the card as it appears that they can continue charging it citing "upgrades"

The very first customer service rep (excuse while I laugh) gave us an extension number. It happens that the mailbox is lawys full.

I can picture the small boiler-room operation nowe. some 10 to 20 people just sitting there and giggling while the bucks role in as unknowing consumers get scammed.

It really is too bad that little can be done to rid ourselves of people of this nature.

I will update the progress of our battle