PDA

View Full Version : Immunization of firefox broken?

molitar
2007-12-14, 04:36
Ok I will NEVER ever use immunization with firefox again. The undo seems to be broken and doesn't seem to work. And now I can't visit my favorite sites like www.baka-updates.com at all :(

What a stupid broken feature and how can I disable it completely from spybot? I want to see a selection to totally uncheck immunize firefox because right now when you run it it tells you immunization needs to be done every single time , because I will NEVER EVER immunize firefox after this broken fiasco but I am sick of seeing the message every single time like a broken record.

PepiMK
2007-12-14, 09:03
So where exactly is your problem? I have no clear idea what message you are talking about. A few things:

Unimmunization of Firefox is slow and appears to hang, unless you use the HE beta 2 version - otherwise you have to be patient. How long did you wait when it appeared to hang?
Immunization and Unimmunization is used on those entries that have the checkbox in front of them checked. So unselect all (from the context menu), then select Firefox, unimmunize, reverse the selection and from there on use immunize (with Firefox unchecked) as usual. So the selection you seem to wish for is actually there ;)
You can manually edit the hostperm.1 file in your Firefox profile folder if you have no patience and do not want to use a beta, just remember the selection method described above for the future.

molitar
2007-12-14, 17:28
So where exactly is your problem? I have no clear idea what message you are talking about. A few things:

Unimmunization of Firefox is slow and appears to hang, unless you use the HE beta 2 version - otherwise you have to be patient. How long did you wait when it appeared to hang?
Immunization and Unimmunization is used on those entries that have the checkbox in front of them checked. So unselect all (from the context menu), then select Firefox, unimmunize, reverse the selection and from there on use immunize (with Firefox unchecked) as usual. So the selection you seem to wish for is actually there ;)
You can manually edit the hostperm.1 file in your Firefox profile folder if you have no patience and do not want to use a beta, just remember the selection method described above for the future.

I found it was taking over half an hour until I manually deleted the host file and replaced it with the original bak1 file. After that it still took a good 15-20 minutes just to remove immunization from firefox. Why is that process so slow and that is after I installed 1.5.1.18 version from the forums here.

Also until I did I could not browse the website www.baka-updates.com at all it just refused to open the page saying no such page found or something to that effect. After finally getting the immunization removed I was able to browse to that site perfectly fine again. So I have no idea why it blocked it but I got it removed and back to browsing normally again.

What is funny tho is while firefox could not browse the site IE could browse it just fine. That is why I expect something in the immunization process messed up firefox in some method since IE would open it but Firefox would not until I removed immunization. Currently I just using immunization for IE and hosts file now and I don't dare touch firefox with that feature again. I also notice firefox has everything listed twice maybe part of the problem? Two default cookies, installations, images, and popups listed but IE doesn't. IE properly lists one for each profile created by windows but no duplicates.