PDA

View Full Version : No Option in Vista for Admin Run

jvladiko
2007-12-16, 03:20
Hi there, in order to get full use of SpyBot SD on Vista, the advice was to go to programs, right-click on SpyBot, and choose "run as admin." Well, clear and easy. Yet, when I did it, there was NO option "run as admin." So, what do I do now? I uninstalled it because it is useless to me anyway - can't immunize, can't run advanced stuff, nothing. Loved it on XP, now have to say "bye, bye." Unless there is a fix! Ideas? Vista is EVIL, and I can't uninstall it because I lose HP warranty - what a scam!!! :spider:

J. V.

Zenobia
2007-12-16, 04:54
Is there any chance you may have rightclicked on Spybot-Search & Destroy in the start menu,without opening it up first?If you see Spybot -Search & Destroy in All Programs with a folder icon beside it,you must left click on it to open it up,then rightclick the Spybot -Search & Destroy or Spybot-Search and Destroy(advanced) below that with the Spybot icon beside it and select Run As Administrator.Kind of hard to explain,but it shows it in the picture:
http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/42.html

If you have the Spybot icon on your desktop or in Quick launch,you can also rightclick those and select Run As Administrator.

jvladiko
2007-12-16, 05:40
Hi, thanks for your reply, but I DID exactly as instructed - besides, I am not a noobie and I have also used Spybot SD for a long time on my other machines ... I do know well the difference between a folder and a file ... that's why I was baffled that there was no "run as admin" option. Believe me, I went in several times just to make sure I'm not messing up ... so, it's off my machine and I'll try installing it again and seeing if anything different happens. The install file might have been corrupted because it went through the first run really weird, jumping over steps and the like ... will keep you posted if anything changes.

Thanks!
Jelena :angel:

Zenobia
2007-12-16, 05:56
Okay,good luck. :)
Do you have a Run As Administrator option when rightclicking other applications besides Spybot?

jvladiko
2007-12-16, 05:59
Hi, haven't checked about other programs. I just finished wiping out everything and reinstalling - had HUGE problems on a brand new Pavilion, and all were Vista related! Have just downloaded Spybot again and am about to install. Will post again soon. Thanks for your help!

Jelena

bear4990
2007-12-18, 15:42
I also had problems getting admin rights. Have a new gateway core2 duo w/VISTA HOME PREM. and can not get ADMIN RIGHTS. Have dumped the SPYBOT program 3x's now AS IT ALWAYS SEEMS TO SKIP THINGS IN THE INSTALLATION. Have tried everything I can think of and still no luck. Only half of system is protected! Old 1.4 worked great, but this 1.5 is a real pain!!!! :sad:

dmhuff1994
2008-01-04, 07:28
Under programs in the start menu right click spybot-search & destroy in the pop up folder under spybot-search & destroy. Click properties, click advanced on shortcut tab, then select run as administrator.