PDA

View Full Version : Spybot Christmas Presents, Part 2: Separate File Scanner

PepiMK
2007-12-16, 09:03
Here's another feature that has been requested (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=86) by users long ago, but never quite made it into Spybot-S&D: single/multiple file scanning, for a quick check of some files on the fly!

Download: -link removed - the version in Spybot 1.5.2 is newer -

No need to tell long stories, a screenshot of it in action shows exactly what it does:

http://www.safer-networking.org/images/spybotsd/fileproperties3.png

As you can see, we've opted for implementing it as an additional file properties page in the standard Windows Explorer. It'll only start to scan when you switch to the Spybot-S&D tab, so it won't slow standard file property dialog showing down.

Let us know if you want that integrated into the next main release, or available in a separate add-ons package :)

gunnut666
2007-12-16, 12:52
I vote for add on

Thanx

honda12
2007-12-16, 19:25
I think this is a great feature, but I don't think it is for everyone, so I think it would be better as an add on

BetaTester155
2007-12-17, 02:49
Great Tool

sims39
2007-12-17, 08:31
It should definatley come with spybot, as an addon is ok, but it should come default, the hardcore users can remove the addon for that extra space they want.
But i wonder if it supports thousands of files etc, like doing it to a whole hard drive.
anyway its a great feature, default for many security products, should come included.

PepiMK
2007-12-17, 11:00
The amount of files is relatively free; it's running in a thread separated from the UI, so you can just click cancel and don't have to wait for the whole list to be scanned.
Right now it's files only though (no support for full folders, though that will be very easy to add), so you won't be able to scan the whole harddisk ;)

sims39
2007-12-17, 14:00
can u add a feature request for full folders, and hanks mate, excellent coding, default package it

PepiMK
2007-12-17, 19:42
Sure :)
Implementation timeframe depends a bit on the other things I want to present before christmas ;)

dk2005
2007-12-19, 16:03
I installed the file scanner, but when I go to the Spybot tab on the properties of the file, it shows four entries of that single file:
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1310/81899096qd6.jpg

The scanner seems to scan the first 2, and then stop there. The last 2 entries would keep continuing to show up as "...waiting"

This happens on every file I tried. If I select multiple files, there would be many repeat entries.

Running on Windows XP SP2. Spybot version 1.5.1.17.

Edit: I also tried reinstalling, but to no avail.

PepiMK
2007-12-19, 18:21
I think I know the "problem" :)

Different looks on XP/Vista and earlier systems.

The first two are Spybot-S&D (Malware) and Spybot-S&D (Heuristics) as seen in the screenshot above. Third and fourth are some that should actually be invisible (and Windows 2000 might not be able to understand that hidden attribute), since they're currently officially unsupported :D:
I updated the code to show only 2, will have to think on how to display the detail (Malware vs. Heuristics) here... icon or additional list column?

2007-12-19, 19:22
i think it would be great to have it within the next release, or an addon. :) i like the new ideas guys and gals.

enoskype
2007-12-21, 15:40
I updated the code to show only 2, will have to think on how to display the detail (Malware vs. Heuristics) here... icon or additional list column?

I have downloaded and installed after you have changed the code to show two, but I still get four lines and the last two waiting...

XP Pro Sp2 with all patches.

Did I misunderstand?

Cheers.

PepiMK
2007-12-21, 15:46
Oh sorry, while I have updated it, I did not upload a new version yet :)
See that question, still haven't decided on how to display the correct ones properly in a new version, that should be updated as well before making it available again.

enoskype
2007-12-21, 16:32
Thanks for the reply PepiMK,

If you ask my preference, I would like to see the display like in your image.
BTW, Beta2 is working like a clock with SDUpdate.exe-1.0.8.6-2007-12-18.

Thanks for a great program all together.

xerces8
2007-12-22, 21:37
As you can see, we've opted for implementing it as an additional file properties page in the standard Windows Explorer. It'll only start to scan when you switch to the Spybot-S&D tab, so it won't slow standard file property dialog showing down.

Is it also triggered if the user "travels" by keyboard (ctrl-tab) from the first to the third tab ?

PepiMK
2008-01-06, 17:23
Will be part of RC 1 :)

It doesn't matter how the tab is activated - Windows deals with that, requesting the data the same way for all property tabs.

honda12
2008-01-09, 22:02
I would rather see and extra column (as people will probably find it easier to understand), unless the icons were quite clear.

You could also include a little green tick next to clean files - and maybe a different icon for a found infected file