PDA

View Full Version : Spyware removal

Dstar
2007-12-18, 19:42
After running Spybot, one of the results was the following:

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntivirusOverride and the specifics are:

(SBI $3604910C) Settings
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntivirusOverride.
Registry Change

Is it safe to remove this and any other changes that Spybot finds or will it
damage the registry?

md usa spybot fan
2007-12-18, 20:00
Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusOverride: [SBI $3604910C] Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusOverride
I suggest that you go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > look at the right hand side of the window and check the settings under "Virus Protection" (expanding if necessary). I believe that you have overridden the protections and that you will find a button labeled "Recommendations". If you click on the "Recommendations" button I believe that you will get a window that indicates something like:
I have an antivirus program that I'll monitor myself.
Note: With that setting Windows won't monitor your virus protection status and won't send you alerts if it is off or out of date.

What AntiVirus are you running? Both Norton and McAfee override this Windows Security Center setting if you elect them as your default Security Center when installing.

Normally you should "fix" that problem.

Dstar
2007-12-18, 20:16
Thanks.

I am running Norton Corporate Edition as this is at work. I do, however have the same issue at home where I am running Norton 2006.

If I change the settings in the Security Center, will it complicate things & give me conflicting messages all the time and will anything happen if I do "fix" the problem through Spybot. or should I just set it to ignore these issues in future scans?