PDA

View Full Version : No Control Panel!!!

Hylian
2007-12-22, 10:55
Heya

I used Spybot S&D for a long time, however recently something started to go wrong on my computer. After these events, my computer started to act weird: many programs used a big percentage of my CPU (Up to 100), I started having bad lag into games, etc. I'm actually trying to clean up the problem, so I started Spybot S&D to do a check up and... nothing. Spybot S&D was in the process list, using up 50% of my CPU by itself, however I had no control panel from where I can choose options or whatever. The program seem to be active in the background but I can do nothing with it. Ran 2-3 online antivirus and avast but I found nothing suspect.

Sound like a virus however there's no way for me to find it. If it can be something else and someone have an idea of the problem, I'd really appreciate to know it ;-)

Thank you very much

chewdz
2007-12-22, 12:53
is it probably ur computer hav too much 'unwanted' files?
try using Disk Cleanup and check drive C: maybe it will be back to normal again. but sometimes it will only improve the performance by jus a little bit

tashi
2007-12-22, 16:51
Hylian

There could be any one of several reasons for not having a control panel.

If you suspect malware, which is certainly a consideration, please follow the procedure in this link:
"BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Then start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) and a helper will advise you when available.

Cheers.

Hylian
2007-12-22, 20:41
Forgot an important detail that may help you to tell me the problem if it isn't a malware

Now (It wasn't like this before it stopped working), when I try to start SpybotS&D, the computer try to load informations from the 3.14" Disk Drive and fail, then the program is in the background and unusable

[EDIT: Tried the Disk Cleanup and for a somewhat reason, spybot s&d control panel appeared to ask if I wanted to do a backup of the registry so I can now use it to do a scan. Once it's done I'll try to relaunch it to see if the attempt to read the 3.14 disk is still present. Gonna give you news once it's done]

tashi
2007-12-22, 22:51
spybot s&d control panel appeared to ask if I wanted to do a backup of the registry so I can now use it to do a scan.

Ok, sorry I thought you were speaking of Windows control panel. ;)