PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up - Can't Run Programs From Windows Explorer

NewForester
2007-12-22, 20:01
Hi,

Merry Christmas and all. :wav:

I have just had a wee problem that I solved by uninstalling Spybot (1.5.1.18). I am a Spybot fan and want to install 1.5.1.19 (when it arrives) so if you know of a way round this problem that doesn't not involve removing Spybot, please let me know.

If you are not a Spybot fan or think that 1.5 is a step too far in the wrong direction, look away now.

In Windows Explorer, under Windows 2000 SP4 ..., when one right clicks on a .exe file, one might expect the first two entries of the pop-up context menu to be:

Open
Erase using Spybot - Search & Destroy

On one of our system this morning we had:

Erase using Spybot - Search & Destroy
Open

I guess with this arrangement, when the user tries to run a program, Windows thinks the user want to shred the program securely. While I can think of a deserving program or two this is not what is wanted in the general case. :sick:

Fortunately, this did not work. Instead Windows :clown: popped up something like (I paraphrase) "Stupid user error: how do you expect me to open .exe files when you have not told me which program to use".

Even more fortunately, we use a Windows Explorer replacement (from the nice Dr Down Under) and its right click context menu is unknown to Spybot. We could still run programs just so long as we didn't use the Start Menu and the Quick Launch Bar so we knew it wasn't format the HD and reinstall before Christmas time. :santa:

I have no idea how the first two entries on the Windows Explorer context menu came to be reversed or who changed Windows "mind" as to what the default, double-click action for .exe is. I couldn't find it the registry.

It could be that the infinite improbability drive inside my PC disguised as a Pentium III was tickled by some passing cosmic ray. It could be that some new breed a nasty wear was trying to throw a lot of egg on to Spybot's face.

How is a poor user to know ? :banghead:

spy1
2007-12-22, 21:38
Verified. Pete

hpwamr
2007-12-22, 23:27
Hello NewForester,

This problem as been discuted en solved in this forum
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=20388

The solution is to make and run a .reg file with one of this two codes (Many thanks to the author: PepiMK) :crowned:

For 64 bit systems its probably:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\sddelfile]@="Erase using Spybot - Search && Destroy"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\sddelfile\command]@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Spybot - Search & Destroy\\SDDelFile.exe\" \"%1\" /ask"

For 32 bit systems, it is:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\sddelfile]@="Erase using Spybot - Search && Destroy"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\sddelfile\command]@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Spybot - Search & Destroy\\SDDelFile.exe\" \"%1\" /ask"