PDA

View Full Version : Help removing McAfee

topher1254
2006-02-01, 15:55
I have tried several suggestions to remove a McAfee program I installed, and I'm now stuck:mad:. I now only seem to have two .dll files left: mcvsshl.dll and shlres.dll; both of which are in the path: C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO.

When I try to manually delete them, it gives me an error, basically saying the file/program is in use. I have looked thru my running processes and these two are not shown. I cannot use the "add/delete" program tool because i have already done this, so the McAfee program is not listed. Ugh!

I'd appreciate anyone's help to finish getting this inept program deleted. This will be the last time I ever use McAfee.

noel-pr7
2006-02-06, 20:32
I have tried several suggestions to remove a McAfee program I installed, and I'm now stuck:mad:. I now only seem to have two .dll files left: mcvsshl.dll and shlres.dll; both of which are in the path: C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO.

When I try to manually delete them, it gives me an error, basically saying the file/program is in use. I have looked thru my running processes and these two are not shown. I cannot use the "add/delete" program tool because i have already done this, so the McAfee program is not listed. Ugh!

I'd appreciate anyone's help to finish getting this inept program deleted. This will be the last time I ever use McAfee.

This tip is recommended ONLY for advanced/experienced Windows users but
open Registry Editor [regedit.exe] and use the Find feature to search for all references of the mcvsshl.dll and shlres.dll files. Delete those registry entries that point to either one or both of those files and reboot. then try deleting the McAfee.com\VSO folder which should wipe out those two .DLL files.

I actually like the McAfee antivirus program, even though I'm using an older version [v4.51 SP1] but runs good on my brother's WinXP computer. latest virus updates & scan engine worked for v4.51 sp1. hasnt crashed at all, not even once. whopee! :D

noel-pr7
2006-02-17, 22:53
I have looked at the Mcafee forums and the versions of Mcafee VirusScan (7.x, 8.x, 9.x and 10) with scan engine 4400 have caused numerous problems with several Windows users. VirusScan 4.51 (now obsolete) w/ engine 4400 does not seem to have the problem.

a release candidate of mcafee scan engine 5000 is available at this site:
http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/beta/engine/5000eng.htm
This new scan engine should resolve most of the problems mcafee v-scan users have experienced with their software.

hosea@iowa
2006-03-04, 19:43
mcvsshl.dll and shlres.dll (remnants of McAfee uninstall) can be removed by renaming the McAfee file at Program Files, reboot, and then delete (or remove by using Eraser, which I did). I contacted a McAfee tech and was given this advice.