PDA

View Full Version : Really Messed Up with install 1.5!!

TreeHead
2007-12-25, 23:40
I was using Spybot 1.4 and wanted to upgrade to 1.5; So I uninstalled 1.4 and wanting a fresh start, thought it would be a good idea to also delete the Spybot Folder in Windows Explorer. That was probably the first wrong step. After installing 1.5, I noticed problems opening Spybot; but persisted and finally got it to open. The first thing I did was to use the tool, "System Internals" and deleted about 6 or 7 items. That action must have sealed my fate because now I've really got problems. **NOTE: In 1.4 I used this tool regularly (last time approx. 2 weeks earlier) and never got a single item to delete. I have since been unable to open 1.5. Every time I try to open Windows Explorer or Control Panel, a full blank screen appears-over/covers the application. I tried to go into c:\config.sys using the RUN command; but now I get asked what program to open it with. I also get the same question with a few other items. I've uninstalled 1.5 for now but the problems haven't gone away. ANY IDEAS - PLEASE!!!!

honda12
2007-12-26, 18:03
Hmm, I think spybot makes a system restore point before you fix any entries. I would restore your system to that point.

Hope that helps! :crowned:

honda12
2007-12-26, 18:15
First, try to restore your system back to a point before you deleted some entries with the system internals tools.

Then install the new spybot beta (1.5.1.18) The slow starting bug has been fixed. That should get rid of all your slow start up problems.

-------------------------------------------------------

As for deleting the spybot folder before you installed, I don't think that makes any difference. (I do that all the time, after ive uninstalled programs!)

Tom.K
2007-12-26, 19:54
Which items are removed with "System Internals" tool ?

TreeHead
2007-12-26, 23:34
Since the un-install of 1.4, the new installation of 1.5, and the deletion of several files via the "system Internals" tool, I find that it is impossible to access new installs of 1.5. I have installed and un-installed several times; but cannot open Spybot program. AS TO THE SEVERAL FILES which were removed by "system internals", I do not know what those files were??? They must have been important because I've got trouble now. I wish I could install and get Spybot to actually open, so that I could UNDO the deletion or look for a "restore point"; but so far no luck after installation. Anything else I can do to get out of this mess?