PDA

View Full Version : Spybot S&D 1.4 is NOT compatible with Windows 95

noel-pr7
2006-02-02, 01:08
It has been several months since I made some posts about the Spybot S&D software and the Spybot forum site has changed since then.

I would like to inform PepiMK and the creators of Spybot that Spybot version 1.4 is completely incompatible with Windows 95 as I have tested on an old Win95 machine. This is the error message I get when trying to run Spybot 1.4 under Windows 95:

"The SPYBOTSD.EXE file is linked to missing export USER32.DLL:EndMenu."

and Spybot 1.4 will close & the Win95 system is using user32.dll version 4.00.950 [and have the Winsock 2, HTML Help and latest Common Controls updates installed]. I even installed the Microsoft Active Accessibility 1.3 update for Windows 95 which updates the user32.dll file to version 4.01.0.971 and I still get that error message.

So it looks like Spybot 1.3 is the last version that works correctly under Windows 95 and versions 1.4 & higher won't work at all under Windows 95.

PepiMK might also want to modify the FAQ page about Spybot 1.4 not working at all under Win95. So the Windows requirements for Spybot 1.4 should be Windows 98, 2000, ME, XP/2003 and maybe NT4 w/ SP6a. And the Spybot 1.4 Help file [english.chm] should also be revised to have this latest info about Spybot 1.4 not being compatible with Win95.

MacSurf
2006-02-02, 13:41
You are right. In the 1.4 there exists a command that is not known to Win95, so it does not work. This error shall be fixed in the upcoming 1.4.1.

noel-pr7
2006-02-03, 18:41
You are right. In the 1.4 there exists a command that is not known to Win95, so it does not work. This error shall be fixed in the upcoming 1.4.1.

I viewed the contents of the Win95 user32.dll file in notepad and the EndMenu
function wasnt there. The Spybot 1.4 EXE file was looking for the EndMenu function
and if it cant find it, the error message will occur. When I ran Spybot 1.4
under the other computer that has WinME, it will work. When I viewed the contents
of the user32.dll file of WinME, the EndMenu function was there.

now i just need a response from PepiMK about Spybot 1.4 not working under Win95.

since Spybot 1.3 is no longer available at the Spybot web site, Win95 users may want
to do a Google search on that and get the older version. At least the latest detection updates are compatible with both Spybot 1.3 and 1.4.

Spybot v1.3 is also bundled on the America Online 9.0 Security Edition CD I ordered a year ago. even the Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition app was on the AOL 9.0 SE cd.

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-03, 19:53
For anyone who still has issues with Spybot 1.4 running on Windows 95. Here are some download sites for Spybot 1.3:
ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/filepilot/windows/security/spybot/spybotsd13.exe
http://users.telenet.be/hestia/spybotsd13.exe
http://www.macssuck.biz/dl/spybotsd13.exe
If you get errors using Spybot 1.3 similar to this:
"Error during check!: ***Various *** (Datei C:\WINDOWS\win.ini kann nicht geöffnet werden. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process) ()"
The probable cause of the error you are getting is an old "advcheck.dll" program. Download and execute the installation program (spybotsd_advcheck.exe) to install the new advcheck.dll. The download link is:
http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_advcheck.exe