PDA

View Full Version : Blacklisted items in my startup...

tharless62
2007-12-27, 23:35
Hi! "Newbie" here! Dumped McAfee finally and added Spybot among others. I noticed this in my log and am wondering if i did the wrong thing. Actually i really don't remember doing anything! But here's what it says:
12/26/2007 6:09:08 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "updateMgr" (new data: "" deleted in System Startup user entry!
12/26/2007 6:09:21 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "Verizon Custom Uninstall Tracking" (new data: "" deleted in System Startup global entry!
Should i have done this?
I think the biggest problems i personally have is in trying to figure which settings to apply to which program. There are so many options and technicalities that it becomes overwhelming to me! So i guess i'll start with this one first!
thanks for all your help!

tharless62
2007-12-28, 20:35
doesn't look like anyone wants to help......

honda12
2007-12-28, 20:52
Hi tharless62!

Personally im not an expert on this subject, but you shouldn't feel no one wants to help! As it is the holiday season, many people are taking a break, so things around here are going at a slower pace.

Anyway, the log entries seem fine by me, but as long as you are not having any problems thats good.

log entries get written to that log all the time. (It doesn't mean something bad has happened! It just shows that spybot has detected some activity) - mostly when people install and uninstall programs.

Anyway, really if you get a pop up 'out of the blue'. eg. you were just surfing the internet and suddenly teatimer pops up with a message say 'blah' has been added to the startup list - and you don't know what this is, and you haven't been doing anything else. It is always best to deny the change.

hope this helps!

honda :)

tashi
2007-12-28, 20:53
Hello.

It is actually really busy around here this holiday week with many people asking questions in all our forums.

I think the biggest problems i personally have is in trying to figure which settings to apply to which program. There are so many options and technicalities that it becomes overwhelming to me!

Right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon and select Settings, this will bring up TeaTimer's "White & Black List".

There are four buttons across the top of the "White & Black List":

Allowed Processes.
Blocked Processes.
Allowed Registry Changes.
Blocked Registry Changes.

You can make any changes there.

In order to remove an entry, just click on the cross next to it. Click the "OK" button and TeaTimer will then "forget" this decision and you will be asked again the next time.

Hope that helps. :)

honda12
2007-12-28, 21:03
Actually Tashi, you are completely right - the forums are teeming with life. It must be just me and the holiday season! :laugh:

The malware removal forum sure is busy...