PDA

View Full Version : Quick question...

Lynch
2007-12-28, 23:52
How often should I run S & D and does it need to be done for both sides/administrators ?

After scan and clicking on "fix" and the green checkmarks are up, do you do anything else or just close it ?

Thanks !

Lynch
2007-12-29, 00:01
OK, another...

Just updated Adobe install and S & D window popped up saying it detected an important registry entry, system start up global entry, value added, Adobe speed launcher, allow change, deny change ??

I installed on my wife's side also, she is registrant, is that what that is ?? What do I answer ??

Lynch
2007-12-29, 00:41
I clicked allow change, thinking it means that its ok to be installed from my side ??? Another one popped up...Browser Helper Object, Key Added, Entry (with a bunch of numbers)

I've been cleaning this comp up for a week now andf have changed, installed, uninstalled programs settings etc with LOTS of help in malware forum but I dont want to bother Shaba anymore!

Just trying to understand what these registry pop ups are...in Layman's terms please- what do they MEAN to a NON- computer person ??!!

spybotsandra
2007-12-29, 01:03
Hello,

On our homepage you will find a tutorial that should guide you in using Spybot - Search & Destroy.
It shows you the first steps you have to do to remove spyware and other kinds of malware from your computer, using Spybot-Search&Destroy.
This is the link:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/tutorial/index.html

You can run your Spybot after every internet session - or once a week, after the weekly updates - depends on you.

You just have to run Spybot-S&D on one user account in order to destroy all the bad threats.

The green items that were found after the scan are usage tracks.
Usage tracks are your fingerprints in your system. Whenever you visit a page with your browser, or just open any file, that information is stored deep inside Windows. In most cases that is very useful – if you want to open that file again, you can select it from a list instead of typing the whole filename or browsing the whole directory structure again.

But in some cases you may want to hide your activity, because spyware and internet attackers may use that information. Spybot-Search&Destroy can remove some of the most important and common tracks on your system.
You may still decide to keep a threat, or just a usage track. Maybe you don't want your list of most recently used Word documents removed?
At this point you have three options.

About the TeaTimer:
Please read this information about TeaTimer:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html
and http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/34.html
If you surf the web and without any user interaction the teatimer pops up and warns about a registry change it is better to "deny", but if you install something by yourself it is OK to "allow" the change.

Hope that helps. :)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Fiat1300
2007-12-29, 01:16
Hej Lynch,

How often should you run SpyBot?

In my opinion it depends on what kind of webpages you surf. If you surf ordinary webpages simply check for updates a couples of times per week. When updates occur run an immunization and a scan.

I do not know whether it is sufficient to scan as administrator only?

After clicking "Fix problems" and the green checkmarks are up you can close the program.

Concerning your second post:

Since you have activated the TeaTimer, it informs you every time there is a modification in you windows registry database when installing different programs.

I was surprised how often a change happened but i got tired of approving changes - which you have to approve if you want to install ordinary programs - why i switched the TeaTimer off.

Hope these answers can help a NON-computer person =) i would recommend you read the tutorial within SpyBot, there are many good explanations there.

Lynch
2007-12-29, 01:18
ok thanks, but after the scan and the checks are up as "cleaned" do I just close S & D- is it all done, there's no "exit" ? I read the tutorials, but to someone who doesnt understand computer lingo, they are VERY confusing- they pretty much speak Russian!

You said: "If you surf the web and without any user interaction the teatimer pops up and warns about a registry change it is better to "deny", but if you install something by yourself it is OK to "allow" the change."

OK, thank you, in the case of Adobe I can allow it because I installed it, but then this one came up and I have NO IDEA what this is...

Category: browser helper object
Change: key added
Entry: 06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3

WHAT does that pop up mean ??

Thanks spybotsandra!

Lynch
2007-12-29, 02:03
saw Fiat1300 post after my last one to just close spybot after checks- thanks.
And it turns out that last registry entry was also part of adobe so i allowed it.

As you said fiat1300, I might just disable tea timer so it doesnt keep happening as only my wife and i are on this computer.

Thanks !