PDA

View Full Version : Spybot Problems, New Install

TreeHead
2007-12-31, 23:12
I previously posted that I was unable to open Spybot after several rounds of installation, un-install and re-install. See Thread at http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=148179#post148179 Unfortunately the advice offered did not resolve the problems. Nevertheless I've persisted and somehow gotten the program to open; but not without problems. Can anybody help please?

PROBLEM #1- When I click on "Check for Problems" I am notified "You need to install the detection updates first, etc...."; however I've already updated and when I click on "Search for Updates" I am advised that "No new updates available". PROBLEM #2- "When I click on "Recovery" I am advised "Failed to load DelZip179.dll". PROBLEM #3- When I click on "Immunize" I am notified by Error Message "List index out of bounds (4)". The aforementioned are the most important problems; but there are others in the "Settings" such as a non-population of "Ignore Products" and "Ignore File Extensions" and some of the "Tools" that I like to use no longer exist.

I should mention that at one point when I first installed Spybot, I clicked on "System Internals" in the "Tools" section and deleted several entries. I think this deletion played a big role in my Spybot problems. Is there a possibility of straightening this out even though I am unable to access "Recovery" (see above). TIA

spybotsandra
2008-01-01, 13:04
Hello,

Which version of Spybot do you have installed exactly?
1.5.1.15?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

TreeHead
2008-01-01, 19:16
Thanks for responding.

Which version = interesting question. First I un-installed 1.4, including the folder located in Windows Explorer, then installed 1.5 (several installs, un-installs, re-installs, etc.). Finally, because of the problems, I gave up completely on 1.5 but then remembered I still had 1.4 (the installation file) in my old download folder. I installed the 1.4 BUT, much to my surprise, although it looked very much like 1.4 when I opened the program it identified itself as 1.5. I don't know why that happened???? Anyway, as of this writing, I'm back to square one - can't open Spybot because it gets covered by a dark, blank screen and whenever I try to open Windows Explorer or control panel that same screen covers it up. I can't run config.sys because it no longer knows what program to use to open it up with. I cannot help thinking that most (or at least some of the) problems are related to the deletion of those entries using "System Internals" (1st install).

spybotsandra
2008-01-01, 19:39
Hello,

Please install the new beta over your old version.
This is the download file for the new Spybot beta (http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/beta/spybotsd15he-beta2.exe).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

md usa spybot fan
2008-01-01, 19:44
TreeHead:

If you are running a Windows OS that has a System Restore capability (Windows ME, XP or Vista), I suggest you do a System Restore to a Restore Point to a point in time before you used the "System Internals" feature of Spybot.

TreeHead
2008-01-02, 00:26
1- I downloaded the beta version; but could not finish install because when I click on the "finish" button, the dark blank screen covers the screen and I am forced to use Control-Alt-Delete to restart my computer.

2- Because I once got a virus which could not be removed because it also affected System Restore, long ago I disabled System Restore on my Windows ME.

I'm going to repeat attempts to install the beta version. I won't give up unless it becomes obviously futile. Thanks.

TreeHead
2008-01-03, 03:43
OK - Got the program installed but now having trouble opening and still have related, previously listed problems. I will keep working to resolve these issues and will Update tomorrow night. THANKS AGAIN.

TreeHead
2008-01-05, 19:54
As soon as I was able to open Spybot, I immediately ran "System Internals". Problems showed up; but this time, for the indicated files, instead of deleting them I searched for and provided corrected path information.

Although my PC still doesn't know what files to use to Open/Run certain system programs, baring anything as yet undiscovered, all other PC problems appear to have resolved. To my great delight, Spybot is now working fine!

Slowly (over the course of a few days) problems began to clear up. I think, because my PC is so old (year 2000 still using ME), it needed (alot of) additional time to fully absorb the installation - taking advantage of idle time and making a bit of progress with each start-up of Windows.

Previously "Fixed" items are now showing up in the "Recovery" section. I note however, in the Settings portion of Spybot- "Ignore File Extensions", that there are far fewer file listings than had previously been displaying in prior version 1.4.

At any rate my PC is 95% (or better) recovered and I have every faith that I'll ultimately acheive 100%. I Thank you, sincerely, for taking time to respond to my problems. Had it not been suggested, I NEVER WOULD HAVE installed the beta or any other version of Spybot, NEVER WOULD HAVE corrected path information, DEFINITELY WOULD HAVE BEEN deprived of an excellent PC tool and SURELY WOULD HAVE struggled a great deal more to resolve PC problems. So-Thanks again, very much.