PDA

View Full Version : AOL problems w/spybot

lunagal
2008-01-02, 14:37
I downloaded spybot and ran it. It found about 114 things which I "fixed". Now I can't sign on to AOL. It says there are problems with the McAfee firewall now. I never had problems with that before. I checked in McAfee and all the AOL files still have access which goes against what AOL is telling me.

What did Spybot do? If I uninstall Spybott will AOL start to work?

Help?:sad:

md usa spybot fan
2008-01-02, 16:35
lunagal:

What is the actual message you are getting from AOL when you attempt to "sign on to AOL"?

Did the problem actually start after you fixed the 114 problems or is it possible that some other feature of Spybot is causing the problem? For example did you Immunize using Spybot? During the installation did you activate Spybot's Resident SDHelper or TeaTimer?

If you activated Spybot's Resident SDHelper during the installation, check the log to make sure that nothing is being blocked while attempting to access AOL. To access the "SDHelper.log", go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Select the "SDHelper.log" file and open it.

If you activated TeaTimer during the installation of Spybot, have you denied any registry changes that could affect your access to AOL? There are several ways to access the TeaTimer's Resident.log file to check:
Right click on the TeaTimer (Spybot-SD Resident) system tray icon and select Show Log.
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Select the Resident.log file and open it.
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the Resident.log file located in one of the following directories:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows Vista:
C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Double click on Resident.log file and it should open with Notepad.
Right click on TeaTimer's system tray icon (labeled "Spybot-SD Resident") and select "Show Log".
If you like to post the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log from the running of Spybot when you encountered the problem, we could take a look at the 114 items that Spybot fixed.

Note: By default here are two Checks.yymmdd-hhmm logs produced during a scan. The second Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log has the details of what the scan found. A Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log is produced if you fix or attempt to fix something.

There are two methods to copy and post the information fron the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Look for the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file that was produced when you found and fixed the detections you are questioning. Open it. To copy it to the Clipboard, right click on the listing and select Select All > Right click again and select Copy. Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.
The Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log files are stored in the following folders:
Windows 95 or 98:
Windows ME:
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows Vista:
C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the correct Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log. Double click on it and it should open with Notepad. To copy it to the Clipboard, right click on the listing and select Select All > Right click again and select Copy. Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.

lunagal
2008-01-10, 02:02
Oh dear. I don't know. I got this message when I tried to sign on to AOL.

The computer was unable to connect to AOL.

Error: 46-NPQE

We were unable to connect you to the AOL Service. 0x90000000

To fix the problem, try one or all of the following (scroll down for more information):

1. Restart computer.
2. Check physical connections.
3. Try connecting to the AOL service again.

Note:
This message could be the result of an active firewall on your computer restricting the AOLŪ software from making a connection. If you have firewall software installed, please configure it to allow the AOLŪ software (AOLacsd.exe and waol.exe) access to the Internet. (If you need assistance, please contact your firewall software vendor.)

I don't know when exactly the problems started. Just that afterwards, I couldn't sign on to AOL.

I did immunize.

I may have activated the SDHelper and Tea Timber, I'm not sure.

When I got to look for the SDHelper, the advanced mode says it may harm my computer. I'm already lost without my AOL. What will this do if I say yes? :sad:

If I just uninstall Spybot, will that restore my AOL sign on abilities?

Thank you for your help and I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you.

Margie

spybotsandra
2008-01-10, 13:45
Hello,

It will nothing do to you system if you say yes.
This is only a notification.
So please click yes.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

md usa spybot fan
2008-01-10, 20:53
lunagal:

When I got to look for the SDHelper, the advanced mode says it may harm my computer. I'm already lost without my AOL. What will this do if I say yes? :sad:
It will allow us to see if anything in Spybot's Resident SDHelper is blocking your access to AOL.

There is an alternative to accessing the SDHelper.log through "Advanced mode" which is similar to one of the alternatives I provided for the other information I requested:
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the SDHelper.log file located in one of the following directories:
Windows 95 or 98:
Windows ME:
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
Windows Vista:
C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Double click on SDHelper.log file and it should open with Notepad.

If I just uninstall Spybot, will that restore my AOL sign on abilities?
Most likely not if it was something that was done when you did "Select selected problems". That is why it is important to at least provide Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log from when you did the "Select selected problems".

Since the message from ALO indicates that it may be a firewall problem, what firewall do you use?

Truchaos
2008-02-08, 04:28
I've now seen three computers which after running SpyBot, AOL will no longer access the internet via broadband. The program seems to function fine but it will not connect to the internet. Even after AOL is uninstalled and reinstalled, the problem still remains. It's as if AOL will no longer work on that computer. In all three cases, AOL was working fine until SpyBot was used to "fix" problems and immunize.

In each case, the computer was a Dell laptop running Win XP with AOL 9.1.

I have tried, reviewing firewall settings (no problems found), even turning off the firewall completely but this did not help.

Deleting SpyBot doesn't seem to help as well.

I'm lost, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Truchaos
2008-02-08, 04:50
Additional Comment:

I'm not sure of the dates of the "fix" or "immunizations" and there are a lot of log folders. The problem started once I began using the "immunize" feature.

trigrhpyx
2008-02-09, 18:38
I am having very close to the same problems. I have a Dell desktop though not a laptop.

I downloaded and ran spybot then I was no longer able to sign on to aol. It goes to step 3 "checking password" but stops there after a bit with an error. Error AC-0000. I went through my firewall and and finally disabled it totally as well as uninstalling/reinstalling aol 3 times and still no dice. Same problem. System restore to before I ever ran spybot and still could not log on. Removal of spybot did not fix the problem either.

Any ideas on what to do next? Ive tried all I can think of.

DonCRica
2008-02-09, 19:25
Howdy Y'all !

I'm still struggling thru this and have not checked out the possible solutions mentioned earlier (ie post #2), but I have found that my connection problems with AOL started only after I ran the Immunize app (step 6? of 7 during installation). My AOL connects fine again after I clicked the UNDO Immunize button (which also takes awhile). I also noted that I never had a problem connecting via Internet Explorer.

I found that UNinstalling Spybot did NOT restore AOL connection function, I had to do a Windows System Restore (Start> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore). But as I said above, this is not necessary, as my AOL problem was solved just by UNDOing the Immunize process.

I'll post again when I figure anything more out.

Don:wav:

trigrhpyx
2008-02-09, 19:59
Ok I got mine fixed I THINK! Not 100% sure what did it but looks like a conflict between McAfee and AOL after running spybot. I disabled all of McAfee AGAIN and now can sign back on to AOL. I have turned back on McAfee and it looks like it is in systemguard as that is all I have disabled now.

Not sure I can be anymore help than that though as Im not totally sure that is the problem yet since I did a bunch of disableing/deleteing/restoring also. What can I say I was to the point of total meltdown (me not computer :D: ) :laugh:

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-09, 20:09
Truchaos:

Before uninstalling Spybot did you "Undo" the immunization?

If not try reinstalling Spybot without SDHelper and TeaTimer. To do that:
When you get to the "Select Additional Tasks" screen during the installation, uncheck the following two items:
Use Internet Explorer protection (SDHelper)
Use system settings protection (TeaTimer)
After Spybot is installed:
Go into Spybot > Immunize.
Make sure that all immunization catagories in the right hand pane are checked.
Click the "Undo" button at the top of the right hand pane. See if you can access the internet using AOL broadband.

Note: If you are unable to connect to the internet to install and update Spybot, you will need to download two files and transfer them to the non-internet connected system.
spybotsd152.exe
Located here:
Mirror selection - The home of Spybot-S&D!
http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html
spybotsd_includes.exe
Located here:
Downloads - The home of Spybot-S&D!
http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html
the item is:
Detection updates 2008-02-06 - product description
md5: 133D3F3CDA0C76726F1F75306D367F13

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.
To install Spybot and update:
Execute the installation program spybotsd152.exe
When you get to the "Select Components" screen during the installation, uncheck "Download updates immediately" (see attachment).
After the installation completes execute spybotsd_includes.exe to update Spybot.

ithildin
2008-02-15, 09:13
Howdy Y'all !

I'm still struggling thru this and have not checked out the possible solutions mentioned earlier (ie post #2), but I have found that my connection problems with AOL started only after I ran the Immunize app (step 6? of 7 during installation). My AOL connects fine again after I clicked the UNDO Immunize button (which also takes awhile). I also noted that I never had a problem connecting via Internet Explorer.

I found that UNinstalling Spybot did NOT restore AOL connection function, I had to do a Windows System Restore (Start> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore). But as I said above, this is not necessary, as my AOL problem was solved just by UNDOing the Immunize process.

I'll post again when I figure anything more out.

Don:wav:

Thank you Don! This worked perfectly for me. I too have a Dell laptop running Win XP with AOL 9.1 and ran into the problem above. Very glad to find your solution when searching for help. Thanks! :2thumb:

Glenn20
2008-02-24, 00:50
I too, have found my way to this thread, because I am having the exact same problems. My broadband connection is fine, but the final password step of accessing AOL fails. This happened immediately after updating to the new 5.? version of Spybot. I have had Spybot all along, but it is just this new upgrade that caused the issue. I also have a Dell desktop, although I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I hope that with enough of us speaking up, the Spybot people will analyze this a little closer and put in a fix.

Glenn20
2008-02-24, 03:31
Ok I got mine fixed I THINK! Not 100% sure what did it but looks like a conflict between McAfee and AOL after running spybot. I disabled all of McAfee AGAIN and now can sign back on to AOL. I have turned back on McAfee and it looks like it is in systemguard as that is all I have disabled now.

Not sure I can be anymore help than that though as Im not totally sure that is the problem yet since I did a bunch of disableing/deleteing/restoring also. What can I say I was to the point of total meltdown (me not computer :D: ) :laugh:

I think that Trigrhpyx is definitely on to something. Before trying any other steps I followed Trig's advice and disabled SystemGuards within McAfee Security Center. I can now log on to AOL. While this would make it appear to be a McAfee problem, the fact remains that it is Spybot which created the problem. If you open your McAfee Security Center and go to "View Recent Events", you'll see that during the time you were installing Spybot there are a bunch of entries stating "SystemGuards have allowed a one-time change to your computer". Click on the "View Log" button, and under "Computers & Files" click on "SystemGuards Log". You'll see that each one of those one-time changes was for "Internet Explorer Security Zones - Allowed". Next, highlight any one of those by clicking on it and read the "Details" at the bottom of that screen. Notice that each one is a registry change made by Spybot - Search & Destroy.

BUT -- I don't think I should keep McAfee SystemGuards disabled. So the question remains -- what is the best way to fix this?
1. Is there a way to correct it within McAfee?
2. Can it be corrected within Internet Explorer? Is there something that has to be done in Security Zones to allow AOL?
3. Or, does the change have to be reversed within Spybot? I really don't want to undo Immunize. If 99% of the process was worthwhile, it's a shame to have to undo the whole thing :sad:.

Glenn

basic15
2008-03-25, 04:59
I have only received the actual error once or twice, but the logon to AOL is very slow. It hangs on checking password for 30 to 50 seconds. It also hangs that long when switching users on AOL. I also have 1.52 installed and have done the update to immunization. At the bottom of the error message from AOL is System Information ACS 4.8.8.4,TCP/IP Connection err. 0x9000000,WinXP-SP2,Mcafee Personal Firewall (from AOL, installed 3/16/08).

I am posting this to add to the information. I will try undoing the immunization.

I use Spybot extensively on my customer home computers and we need to find a fix. The problem is occuring on one of my machines.

bitman
2008-03-25, 05:31
This is a classic three way issue. It's also clearly covered by McAfee in the following document, who I'm guessing supplies the free security product to AOL users?

ERROR: AOL ERROR (AC-0000) error 0x90000000 (when logging in to AOL 9) (http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=307211&lc=1033&partner=McAfee&type=TS&ia=1)
Summary: Intermittent errors when attempting to log in to AOL 9 with a third-party application used to secure Internet Explorer.

For those that still don't get it, McAfee's protection becomes inefficient when the large number of registry entries are added by Spybot S&D's Immunize, resulting in timeout delays that cause the AOL authentication to fail.

Remove any one of the three and the issue disappears.

Bitman

basic15
2008-03-26, 17:54
I have looked at BitMan's post and agree with him concerning the McAfee link. I had not been able to find this reference before i accidently came accross this issue on this forum.

I did proceed to undo the immunizations and this allowed a more prompt access to AOL. I do not like this kind of Fix? and plan to try to find a better workaround than the one that McAfee proposed. It looks as if they have slow code and just do not want to deal with the issue.

Glenn20
2008-03-31, 01:55
This is a classic three way issue. It's also clearly covered by McAfee in the following document, who I'm guessing supplies the free security product to AOL users?

...McAfee's protection becomes inefficient when the large number of registry entries are added by Spybot S&D's Immunize, resulting in timeout delays that cause the AOL authentication to fail.

Remove any one of the three and the issue disappears.

Bitman

Unfortunately, the one that had to go was Spybot. It's not worth all the hassle of manually editing my registry. So, after all these years, I am no longer a Spybot user. It's a shame.

As a side point, my McAfee product is provided by Comcast. They give a more complete version than AOL. This is probably true of most AOL members who access the AOL service via a Comcast broadband connection.

bitman
2008-03-31, 07:15
Glenn20: It wasn't necessary for you to completely stop using Spybot S&D, you only needed to remove the 'Restricted Sites' Immunizations to stop the problem, which are actually an optional component of protection anyway and have nothing to do with the core spyware scanning functions.

basic15: The issue is really with the functions of the Internet Explorer 'Restricted Sites', the Windows XP operating system itself and how McAfee has chosen to interact with these items to monitor for malicious behaviour.

This is really no one particular oraganizations fault, since it's only the combination of stuffing large numbers of entries into a registry key that was designed for manual entry and then monitoring it closely for any changes that causes the problem. So to some extent, Microsoft is at fault for underdesigning the function, but not really, since it was never intended to be used for thousands of entries. Spybot S&D (and others like JavaCool's SpywareBlaster) are at fault for stuffing it with thousands of entries, but not really, since it works fine if it's not monitored. Finally, McAfee is at fault for monitoring it so closely, but not really, because they are assuming it's being used as Microsoft originally intended and will only typically contain a few entries manually added by the user. Now you see how assumptions can create a problem, especially in a three way combination.

Individually there's nothing wrong with any of these design decisions, but in combination they create a problem. Thus, each organization believes they are correct because of their own assumptions and in some cases because "they got there first". In truth, they are simply different ideas of purpose or protection, so the real decision is who's idea you like better.

Many think that the stuffing of Restricted Sites and other registry keys were designed for malware protection because several programs have done this for several years, but Microsoft never intended this and was only providing a method for users to specify sites they personally chose not to trust. In fact, the only way provided by Microsoft to add these sites was within the Internet Options Security Tab in the Restricted Sites zone dialog box.

On the other hand, McAfee has designed some sort of monitoring program that actually watches these keys for changes and then flags or blocks these changes if they are deemed malicious. It seems that their design is inefficient and it may well be, but if only a few dozen entries exist it may not normally cause any issues. In fact, since these keys are known to be abused by malware to block access to security sites this monitoring makes sense.

This is one of many conflicting ideas of security that are occuring between security software programs lately. As each program attempts to protect more of the operating system, the minor or major conflicts between these various ideas begin to appear. Unless a vendor designs their product modularly as Spybot S&D has, you often have to choose between products to avoid the conflicts.

The issue of conflicts is nothing new, since it's been true of AV products all along, it's simply confusing to users of multiple anti-spyware applications, since in the past these could co-exist if only one "real-time" protection was enabled. Though the Spybot S&D Immunizations don't appear to be "real-time", to some extent they are since Internet Explorer accesses them dynamically during its operation, so the common belief that they are "passive" protection is actually false.

miamibucki
2008-04-09, 00:11
Thanks to all for the above discussion. The above listed fix, from McAfee worked like a charm, but I now have a few questions.

1. What do I need to do with the domains I exported to my desktop, can I delete them or do I need to save them.

2. Am I still immunized?

3. What happens if I update either Spybot or the immunizations? Do I need to rework the fix?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

md usa spybot fan
2008-04-09, 07:16
miamibucki (Doug):

It seems amazing to me that McAfee a company that provides "Antivirus Software and Intrusion Prevention Solutions" (their words, not mine) recommends the elimination of your Internet Explorer Restricted zone entries to get AOL to work.

1. What do I need to do with the domains I exported to my desktop, can I delete them or do I need to save them.
Entirely up to you. Personally I would restore the registry entries and then do a Spybot immunization "undo" on the "domain" entries (see below) so that I made sure that I was only removing the entries that Spybot placed there.

2. Am I still immunized?
Not entirely. You removed all the Internet Explorer Restricted zone entries.

3. What happens if I update either Spybot or the immunizations? Do I need to rework the fix?
Assuming you are running Spybot 1.5.2, under Internet Explorer (32 bit) and Internet Explorer (32/64 bit) do not immunize any profiles listed as (Domains). For example do not immunize:

Internet Explorer (32 bit)
□ \SOFTWARE (Domains)
Internet Explorer (32/64 bit)
□ .DEFAULT (Domains)
□ Username1 (Domains)
□ Username2 (Domains)

miamibucki
2008-04-10, 02:28
Thanks for the reply, but you completely lost me. How do you undo and how do you not immunize domains

md usa spybot fan
2008-04-10, 06:17
miamibucki:

Are you running Spybot 1.5.2? If so go into Spybot Immunize. The check in front of the various items in the right hand pane control if that item will or will not be either be immunized or unimmunized depending on which button you use, "Immunize" or "Undo"

dl278
2008-05-12, 05:06
I just wanted to add my experience to this thread as well. I experienced the same problem--I installed Spybot about a month ago, and recently I tried the Immunize feature. Afterwards, I could not log into AOL--it would hang at step 3, Checking Password. The problem is now corrected after I read these instructions and hit Undo.

The only difference is I have an HP, so this isn't an issue strictly with Dell's.

alq704
2008-05-21, 04:55
You have to DISABLE the SystemGuard in McAfee. Open your McAfee Security center - go to "Configure' over on the left- click on "Advanced" and then under Ignored Problems find the checkbox for "SystemGuard protection is disabled"- click the box to the left - you'll now see a checkmark- go to the bottom of page and hit APPLY and then OK. Go back and you should have no problems signing on to AOL.

Glenn20
2008-05-22, 00:21
You have to DISABLE the SystemGuard in McAfee. Open your McAfee Security center - go to "Configure' over on the left- click on "Advanced" and then under Ignored Problems find the checkbox for "SystemGuard protection is disabled"- click the box to the left - you'll now see a checkmark- go to the bottom of page and hit APPLY and then OK. Go back and you should have no problems signing on to AOL.

We are aware of that "fix" and have discussed it (read previous posts). Do you really want to shut off this McAfee protection? It's not an acceptable workaround.

GARRETTCLU
2008-06-06, 00:51
this post string came up when I ran a search for "AOL MCAFEE CONFLICTS" while trying to help an associate whose AOL browser suddenly stopped working. The "reinstall spybot; undo immunization; uninstall spybot" solved his problem immediately (this after 48 hours of uninstall & reinstall AOL, McAfee, Windows updates, etc.). good thing I found it before I reformatted his notebook.

the cherry on top? I did the same process on my own machine (I had uninstalled spybot months ago) and surprise! switching between AOL user names and logging on is suddenly instantaneous again.

keep up the great work:)

urrguru
2008-06-06, 03:31
I had AOL when I first started computing some years back and it immediately evidenced itself with problem upon problem, so unknowingly I switched to Netscape (owned by AOL) and no difference.

Once I got rid of everything AOL/Netscape related, got rid of NIS 2004, ended up with a simple IP like V------ and dumped buggy AV like NIS & KAV (going with B----), I've had exactly no problems except occaisionally needing to clean up the telephone connections.

Again, nobody likes to get rained on, but I know people who won't even look at resumes that are sent by users subscribing to AOL.

citacomp
2008-07-23, 19:39
We ran into this problem as well with a clients computer. We updated their version of spybot and ended up breaking their aol connection. This is the 2nd problem I have ever had with spybot and it happens to be in the same week.

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-23, 20:26
citacomp:

Were you able to resolve the thread titled "AOL problems w/spybot" from the information provided in this thread?

You indicated:

... This is the 2nd problem I have ever had with spybot and it happens to be in the same week.
At the current time your post count is one (1). Were you able to resolve that problem are is there an outstanding issue?

angelofvic
2008-09-09, 02:29
I too am on AOL (Dell, with McAfee) and Spybot Immunization blocks my AOL login. I do not want to change McAfee in any way.

I do not want to be without Immunization, either.

Please tell me exactly WHICH programs to ALLOW when I do the Spybot Immunization, in order to keep AOL access. It's not clear to me from this thread, plus I'm not a techie.

(I only have Spybot because someone who no longer lives in my area installed it for me a long while back. We had the same trouble with the Immunizatioon so he did a complete Undo .... but I'm now not wanting to be without Immunizatiopn because there is now a stubborn malware [AntiSpyCheck] on my computer that keeps returning even though I removed and deleted it via Spybot.)

Again, please tell me which item(s) in the Immunization menu to uncheck so that I can log into AOL. Thanks!

(Also, why is there no menu to make these changes before the Immunization even starts? You can't even go to the Immunization page without the lengthy Immunization process starting immediately.)

ervin
2008-09-09, 05:23
if you are using mcafee and if it hangs while checking password or give an error of ac-0000 or ac-3001, all you need to do is disable system guard.

disabling it would not disable mcafee's antivirus and firewall protection so you remain protected. system guard is there to block some programs from connecting out to the internet. usually, this feature is not so important and it only gives compatibility issues with some programs in some instances.

when full scanning with spybot, it may remove some of aol's 'ad' machine and may result to aol giving off script errors everytime you open it. all you need to do is to go internet explorer's internet options > advanced > then disable script debugging for both internet explorer and 'other'.

this will allow you to use spybot and mcafee to work together with aol. just rememer to *allow all program changes everytime you make an update for either *mcafee or *spybot

*important

angelofvic
2008-09-09, 07:34
Thanks ervin, but that did not answer my question, plus I am not talking about Spybot scan, I'm talking about Spybot Immunization.

To whoever knows the answer to my question, please reply.

Thanks in advance!

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-09, 09:42
angelofvic:

Actually I think that ervin (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=48050) came up with the best solution yet. It avoids having to eliminate restricted zone entries by disabling the McAfee feature that is actually causing the problem.

To answer your question, you want to "Undo" the immunization on the "Domain" entries. And then not immunize them in the future. See post #21 (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=180579&postcount=21).

angelofvic
2008-09-09, 09:54
I'm having no problem with McAfee and AOL. AOL runs fine with McAfee. I do not wish to modify McAfee, especially since that is not where the problem arises.

The problem arises with Spybot Immunization.

I'll try not immunizing the Domains. Thank you.

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-09, 11:15
angelofvic:

The problem is with the code in McAfee SystemGuard. From their article:
ERROR AOL ERROR (AC-0000) error 0x90000000 (when logging in to AOL 9)
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=307211&lc=1033&partner=McAfee&type=TS&ia=1

If you use a third-party application which adds restricted sites to Internet Explorer, you may have difficultly logging in to your AOL account when McAfee SystemGuard is running. If a large number of restricted sites are added to Internet Explorer, it can create a significant increase in processing overhead. This increase in overhead causes a timeout issue when the AOL login process runs and can prevent you from accessing your AOL account.
Besides Spybot, SpywareBlaster and IE-Spyad also use restricted site entries to prevent malware. The facility for placing sites in different zones and setting various security options based on those zones is built into Internet Explorer for your protection.

Internet Explorer can handle large numbers of entries in the restriced zone so there is no reason that McAfee SystemGuard couldn't be coded properly to handle them. Instead, McAfee instructs you to eliminate the entries from the restricted zone because they can't handle it.