PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000 slowdown after installing and immunizing with Spybot S&D 1.5

grundigboy
2008-01-02, 16:38
Hello,

I am using a 2nd PC with Windows 2000 SP4. I have installed Spybot S&D 1.5 and used the immuniziation feature. After this I wanted to restart the PC but now windows 2000 is booting very slow and starting programs is a pain with a noticeable duration. I thought of a trojan or a rootkit after googleing and I did some scans with Spybot, Antivir and more, but no error warnings or trojan finds. After further investigation two weeks ago somebody mentioned, that S&D makes a lot of registry changes and entries which slows down windows 2000 (but not XP or Vista) at startup. Unfortunately I can't find this post again. And I haven't made a backup of the registry before...:sick: Does somebody know how I can restore the original registry or remove the changes or whatelse? Any other solution?

Thanks in advance!

grundigboy

Reggie Stry
2008-01-03, 19:21
Hello,

I am using a 2nd PC with Windows 2000 SP4. I have installed Spybot S&D 1.5 and used the immuniziation feature. After this I wanted to restart the PC but now windows 2000 is booting very slow and starting programs is a pain with a noticeable duration.
Thanks in advance!

grundigboy

I have a similar problem but not with slow bootups. My Firefox and IE 6 browsers seem to hang since I've installed the beta2 version of Spybot S&D (spybotsd15he-beta2.exe).

I'm going to have another look at the settings before I uninstall. I also have Antivir and Zone Alarm installed, with a HOSTS file from MVPS.org, so perhaps Spybot doesn't agree with this configuration.
I'm not sure if the Spybot immunize strings are added to the same registry domain key as the HOSTS file, but that might be the problem.

As for your situation, do you have your DNS service disabled? Run "services.msc" and see if it's starting at bootup. If you have a HOSTS file or are using the
Spybot HOSTS file, it's possible that's the reason for the slow bootup.

Search around the web for info on DSN services and make sure that if you disable yours, you can still connect. You can always enable it again.

You can read about HOSTS files and DNS services here:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Reggie Stry
2008-01-03, 19:45
Take a look at this similar post:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=21306