PDA

View Full Version : version + features

nowellp
2008-01-03, 19:12
Hello
I used Spybot S+D for years. About 4 months ago, I installed the beta version. I don't now know what forum to use so I'll try here - I think when you download the latest it is the beta but unsure.
I removed it after installing it b/c there were problems that the older nicer version did not have.
Can you siill use the older version and have as much protection?
What is immunization and how does it affect other programs?
I do not use tea timer as I think it is the equivalent of 'real protection' and only one should be run on a pc.
Thank you for helping sort out my difficulties as I would like to use your - right - program again.

spybotsandra
2008-01-03, 22:31
Hello,

So which version do you use now?
It is recommended to run the latest version 1.5 as it has different scan routines than the older versions. It can deal with more complex infections.

Spybot-S&D allows you to immunize your computer against some spyware. It currently offers three different immunities:

Permanent Browser immunity: Similar to JavaCools SpywareBlaster, this allows you to tweak some internal Browser settings to block the installation of known spyware (and similar threats) installers via ActiveX. Spybot-S&D is able to set all entries for those that are in its database to be blocked. If you want to distinguish, you should install SpywareBlaster.

Permanently running bad download blocker for your Browser: This is a second layer of protection. While the Permanent Immunity blocks installers by their ActiveX ID, this one blocks anything that should come through by different aspects.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

nowellp
2008-01-05, 19:54
Thank you for the breakdown-it made it clearer.
I do not have Spybot installed b/c when I did I got confused. I still want to use it so I need to get all my facts straight.
For example, there is 'real time' or 'permanent protection' offered by many programs which act like Spyware blaster in that they repel rather than locate and deal with infection. All my forums and Win newsgroups agree that only one program should have that enabled to avoid conflicts. My Mcafee Security Suite has its enabled.
If I am not mistaken, your tea timer is this 'real time' protection.' If my information is correct, I should avoid this feature.
Now re: immunization, are you advising me to immunize all, or is this too a feature that could cause conflict with other programs? I amn not fussy about tweaking at my level; I just want the easiest but effective protection. I will wait for your kind clarification of this message and then hope to reinstall your latest Spybot. Btw, Many of my friends are waiting for information as they too liked the old Spybot but are leery at this time.
Thank you for your patience,
Grampy Pete