PDA

View Full Version : User feedback - 3 sugestions, and THANK YOU!

dcs002
2008-01-05, 04:03
Today is the second time in as many years that Spybot S & D has saved my system and invaluable data! Thank you all for what you've done! Y'all simply rule the universe, and I owe ya a case of beer each! (Or maybe a do0nation...)

For context, I'm just a private user with no expertise at all in software design, but I'm a pretty knowledgeable user of the most common stuff (MS Office & IE, of course).

3 quick feedback items:

1. It would be nice to be able to PAUSE a system check in addition to the option to STOP the check in progress. A full check of my system takes ~15 - 20 min.

2. Some of my probs couldn't be fixed b/c the files were currently open and being used by the system. I get that. But when I allowed Spybot to handle my next boot, the files in question were apparantly loaded b/4 Spybot took over, so the problems persisted. After 2 or 3 tries, I fixed the probs by rebooting in safe mode, and then running Spybot. (I have WinXP on this computer.) Running the software in safe mode fixed everything. Make what you will of it, but my suggestion is that you give that as an option when such problems are detected -- letting Spybot handle the next boot-up, but giving the option to do it from safe mode.

Does the typical user know what safe mode is? I dunno -- I'm a scientist (meaning I know an awful lot about very little). :red:

3. About one in ten of us men has color vision problems, including me. This is most often a problem with reds & greens. When I registered for this account (to use this forum), I had to reresh the image certification image three times before I got an image that didn't just look like Chinese shorthand to me. PLEASE! Spread the word that we're out here, and consider us whenever you design color schemes or palates for any software. Pease don't rely too heavily on reds & greens anyway. (Gray is always safe. ;o) )

#3 is like a personal cause...

PepiMK
2008-01-05, 11:54
For topic 1, just switch Spybot-S&D to advanced mode. You'll find a settings page (Settings -> Settings in the menu bar at the left). Scroll down, there is an option to show more options on the scan page. Voila, there's your pause button :)

That not all users know safe mode could indeed be kind of a problem: "help, Spybot destroyed my screen resolution" or shouts like that ;)
Would probably need some explanatory texts.
I've added a feature request to the prject tracker:
Offer to reboot into safe mode on difficult files (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=165)

3. Spybot-S&D itself has a skin that changes the green color to blue to make it easier in the results list :)
The forum "captcha" image is created by the forum software. Gray would be safer, sure, but much easier to guess by spambots that are automatically registering. Wouldn't make sense for us making changes to this, since the next update of the forum software would probably bring along yet another captcha method and we had to do it again and again.
I found this discussion (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218085&highlight=captcha+color) on the forum of the forum software creators, not very likely that they would change a lot.
The first recommendation there was to replace images with custom images - which wouldn't make a lot of sense imho, since there, the same problems could exist, all depending on what kind of images where chosen and which letter colours the forum would generate. Their second recommendation - to just click to get another captcha, isn't really a solution, just a workaround.