PDA

View Full Version : Vista conflicts?

College Park
2008-01-05, 13:38
Hello every one,

This is my first post at the forums though have been using Spybot for a few years now.
On one of my machines running Win XP has no issues with Spybot 1.4.
But on my Dell XPS running Vista Home Premium I have issues with Spybot 1.4, as the download of updates is slow…….is it coz Windows Defender has some conflicts with it or clashes /blocks it??

I would like to know if Spybot is compatible with Vista OS & what version etc.

Hoping to hear from you smart people,

Regards!!

College Park
2008-01-05, 14:33
Just to add, on both the machines I have Spybot 1.4, with SD helper for IE 7.0

Do not have the Tea Timer running on any of them.

Plus have AVG 7.5 on both as well.

Hope it helps!

Regards!

md usa spybot fan
2008-01-05, 15:34
Try Spybot 1.5.

College Park
2008-01-06, 05:28
You have suggested trying Spybot 1.5.

I use Spybot 1.4 on my other machine which I mentioned earlier running Win XP MCE with no issues.

My query is has any one used Spybot with Vista without any conflicts??......if yes than questions like which version & what features to be turned on & does Spybot & Windows Defender have some conflicts?

Regards!

ndmmxiaomayi
2008-01-06, 05:44
Spybot 1.4 doesn't really work well with Vista. Get 1.5. I'm using it with Vista without problems.

College Park
2008-01-06, 05:48
I noticed Windows Security Center while viewing screen shots of Spybot 1.5......http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd15/index.html.

Where did Windows Defender disappear (which usually is there in malware protection) after installing Spybot 1.5.

Does one have to remove Windows Defender before installing Spybot 1.5??

Regards!

College Park
2008-01-06, 05:57
Did you remove Windows Defender or Spybot 1.5 took its place automatically, in the Vista Security Center?

What features of Spybot 1.5 do you have on like SD helper for IE etc?

Regards!

ndmmxiaomayi
2008-01-06, 06:29
Not sure, because I disabled Windows Defender.

Anyway, you could re-enable it manually.

Open Security Centre (Start > Settings > Control Panel and double click on Security Center).

Click on this link - Show me the antispyware programs on this computer.

Another window will open. Select Windows Defender and click on the Turn On button.

I like all the features of Spybot. :D:

College Park
2008-01-06, 08:50
I did as you suggested but still face some issues, despite that I disabled Windows Defender from Services & unchecked on startup.

1. In the Security Center it keeps saying Snoozing till I click on Turn On, only than does the SD resident appears on the bottom right??

2. When I click on the desk top icon it takes about atleast 5 secs to start??

What could be the reasons....?

SD helper appears as tea timer protection as in the 1.4 version?

Regards!

College Park
2008-01-06, 09:06
When the SD helper does appear after turning on from snooze mode, it disappears again on a reboot & in the Security Center Spybot again goes into snooze mode?

Regards!

ndmmxiaomayi
2008-01-06, 10:25
http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=85

The slow issue of Spybot launching.

Topic - http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=22265

As for the rest of your problems... I don't get you. Snooze mode?

College Park
2008-01-06, 20:09
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/eDOC/Snoozing.jpg

ndmmxiaomayi
2008-01-07, 16:23
Ermm... the picture is too small.

Zenobia
2008-01-09, 02:01
If I squint,I think it's a screenshot of Spybot snoozing. :)

Spybot will show as snoozed or snoozing in Windows Security Center (Vista) when Teatimer isn't on.
You could try turning on Teatimer from within Spybot,if you would like to have Teatimer enabled.
Rightclick Spybot,select Run As Administrator,then go to mode,then select Advanced mode,then click Tools,then Resident.Put a check beside Resident "Teatimer",if it's not already checked.That should get Teatimer to come on at startup,and prevent having to turn it on in the Windows security center every time.

SD helper appears as tea timer protection as in the 1.4 version?
This post explains a little bit about what sdhelper is,and what teatimer is,etc.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281

College Park
2008-01-12, 15:48
Hi there,

That was the only screen shot I had, as I formatted my drive before I could read your reply.

I have a few questions regarding Spybot 1.5 installation for Vista….as you are already using it with Vista.

Before installation did you do the following?

1. In Control Panel> Comp Manag > Services did you Disable Windows Defender Service?

2. In msconfig did you uncheck windows defender on startup?

3. In Control Panel> Win Defender, did you turn off / uncheck real time protection?

Hoping to hear your views?

Regards!

ndmmxiaomayi
2008-01-12, 15:57
To all your questions, yes.

Because I don't like Windows Defender.

But... when I first gotten my Vista and installed Spybot and if my memory doesn't fail me, Spybot will turn off Windows Defender after it is installed. However, Windows Defender still runs on startup. Just that the Windows Defender service isn't running.

Windows Defender still runs fine though...

benoit
2008-01-12, 18:13
Hello ,

i have S&D 1.5.1.19 on 2 pc with vista home premium

i have no touch to defender, i simply touch to nothing

i download S&D from the site from safer-networking him self and i add the correction for the slow start

it work perfect on vista

College Park
2008-01-12, 18:46
Ok thanx for all your input.

Why does Tea Timer protection turns on automatically when I havent checked it………..?

I only check SD helper & desktop icon & not Tea timer Protection.

Have the same settings on my other machine runnng WinXP MCE Spybot 1.4 & there Tea Timer protection doesn’t start, till checked.

Since Spybot 1.5 has a delayed start should it only be run to check problems in safe mode?

Regards!

ndmmxiaomayi
2008-01-12, 19:51
When you install Spybot, did you check the Teatimer component? If yes, it will be auto started for you.

You can still it off manually if you want to.

Right click the Spybot Icon in the system tray near the clock (looks like a blue/white calendar with a padlock symbol).
Click once on Resident Protection, then right click the Spybot icon again and make sure Resident Protection is now Unchecked. The Spybot icon in the System tray should now be now colorless.
Go to Start > All Programs > Spybot - Search & Destroy > Spybot Search & Destroy.
Click on Mode > Advanced Mode. When it prompts you, click Yes.
On the left hand side, click on Tools.
Check (tick) this box if it is not yet ticked: Resident.
You will notice that Resident is now added under Tools. Click on Resident.
Uncheck (untick) this box: Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.
Exit Spybot Search & Destroy.
Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

You can run Spybot in whatever mode to check for problems.

College Park
2008-01-12, 20:14
Thanks for your detailed reply.

While installing I did not check the Tea Timer.

Since I have formatted & reinstalled the OS, let me create an image of it first & than shall install Spybot.

Coz I dont want to go through the ordeal of reinstalling the OS again if some thing goes wrong.

Spybot 1.5 really takes a while to start thats why I asked to check in safe mode..........

Thanks again shall keep you informed about what happens.

Regards!

benoit
2008-01-12, 21:49
Hello,

you read what we say to you ?

"i download S&D from the site from safer-networking him self and i add the correction for the slow start"

and you say

"Spybot 1.5 really takes a while to start thats why I asked to check in safe mode.........."

if you read i little be in the forum you find
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=22638
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=22296
and other ...

College Park
2008-01-12, 22:15
What's the latest version 1.5.1 or 1.5.2 OR compatible e Vista?

Regards!

College Park
2008-01-12, 22:22
Is it really possible to completely uninstall Spybot as if it was never installed in the first place.......not just files but all the registry entries too?

Regards!

Zenobia
2008-01-13, 06:45
The latest version available in the beta forum is the release candidate:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=22299
It's compatible with Vista.

This page has instructions on how to uninstall and includes a very small fix that removes remains from the registry,if you'd like to have a look.
http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html

College Park
2008-01-13, 07:21
Hello,

Thanks for sending the links.

I ran the small fix exe. after uninstalling Spybot 1.5 & deleting all files & folders, but when ran regedit & searched for any Spybot entries they kept coming for quite a while & I was continuously pressing F3.........strange!

Anyhow thanks again let’s see how this 1.5.2 version behaves.

Regards!

Zenobia
2008-01-13, 07:59
You're welcome. :)

College Park
2008-01-13, 15:37
Hi there,

Wanted to thank you, installed Spybot 1.5.2.

This is what I have experienced:

1.Loads & starts as quick as 1.4, takes around 2-3 secs as I click on the desk top icon.

2.Although during installation displayed the option to integrate into the Security center but still see windows Defender there……do I need to turn it off for Spybot to appear or keep both running?

3.In task manager I see Spybot security center integration service running consuming about 3,392K.

Now I am satisfied with this version of Spybot.

On real time checking, consumes max of 95% Core1 (approx 80%) CPU. 25% Core 2 CPU (approx 18%).

Thanks again.

Hoping to hear your views.

Regards!

ndmmxiaomayi
2008-01-13, 15:39
Both are able to run without turning the other off. :)

College Park
2008-01-13, 15:41
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Regards!