PDA

View Full Version : 1.5.2 Release Candidate 1 (aka 1.5.1.19) here

PepiMK
2008-01-06, 17:29
As you might have noticed in the project tracker (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?projectid=1) (where you can also find a list of changes), we'll just name the next version 1.5.2. Version 1.5.1.19 is thus the release candidate for the final 1.5.2 release.

Download available here (http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/spybotsd152rc1.exe)

sims39
2008-01-06, 18:33
hey, im testing it now but i noticed straight away in the immunize section undo takes a longg time.
I thought immunize would not be that much quicker than undo, could you test undo, everyone else please.
You have a look Pepimk thanks

sims39
2008-01-06, 19:07
-i find it strange i can open spybot as many times as a want at the same time and run many scans at the same time, and when spybot is already open if i double click the teatimer icon in the tasktray it open another instance of spybot, is that normal for programs?

-In Tools - Resident,
next to archive there is no icon, its just a grey box, im on vista home premium, also wondering does this resident think not work on vista? Because it says Windows 9x, ME,, or NT/2000/XP, i was just curious because i thought it worked on vista, if it does can it says and Vista, i got confused.
Plus there is no button or anything i can do to list or display the protocols or whatever i am meant to display

-in ie tweaks how do we know what the custom titles are?

-in View Report when you actually click View Report i really think you need a back button to get back to the previous screen, it would fit

-System Internals has nothing listed yet i can press Fix selected problems, it makes me think it should be faded and unclickable, there might be a few more sections like that somewhere

-System Startup, each time upon going to this page the first time after launching spybot the 'Toggle, edit, and Delete' buttons arent clickable, not until i select something which makes sense but if i than go to system internals and than back to system startup the buttons are cliackable and i havent selected anything, also i am not going to try this but when you click delete it should ask you a confirmation "are you sure?", i assume you have that, im not testing it :P

-Uninstall info, i dont understand what this does, does it just delete the uninstaller entry from a program? because i have xfire installed and i clicked delete and nothing happened to the program so i assume the uninstaller or something not hindering xfire from working is just deleted

-Opt Out, in this bit it's kind of hard to assume you click the entry, there should be a button called 'Open Link'

-in the installer i untiked teatimer and so when i go to security center it says spybot is snoozing but when i turn it on the resident/teatimer thing comes on in my tasktray, just wondering what is it? i dont want that registry monitoring thing on but i want everything else on, the registry thing is annoying, so is it on or not? i dont understand

nOInfectIOn
2008-01-06, 19:22
Hello :)
not bad I think.
XP, SP 2 - Dec. 2007, 896 MB RAM, 1,60 GHz
Mozilla 2.0.11, Opera 9.25, IE 7
clean install: Only program and "includes" ->
installation normal; program-start fast; immunisation normal and completely (;)); tracks all erased - MSDirectInput too; scan-time in total: 21 min

THX and LG!

Asus L3500TP
2008-01-06, 20:39
Hello,

Good installation over version 1.5.1.18

No problem

It seems to work correctly (I do not use tea timer)

Just one thing I have seen : now I have 57236 items secured ... and before it was more than 85 000 items with 1.5.1.18 !!!

(I have win xp sp2 home with Firefox 2.0.0.11, Opera 9.25 and Ie7)

For Sims39 : vaccination takes less than 1 min !

And undo vaccination takes more than 3 min but less than 4 min !

Asus L3500TP
2008-01-06, 21:14
To be complete :

Scan complète : 109 911 items/109 911 items in 25 min !

siljaline
2008-01-06, 21:17
This build although not an RTM, fixes the slow start-up issue.

Thanks to the developers who recognized this problem and fixed it. :)

Silj Former five-year MS MVP.

Rosenfeld
2008-01-07, 03:20
The problem reported in

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=20352

(excluded items show in recovery as fixed after fixing others)

no longer occurs.

Many thanks.

hash420
2008-01-07, 09:45
How can I disable the Spybot-S&D tab that now appears in the properties of all files?

PepiMK
2008-01-07, 12:14
Thanks for the feedback so far :)

@hash420: you would have to unregister SDFiles.dll; on a command line, switch to the Spybot-S&D folder and type:

regsvr32 /u sdfiles.dll
What reason do you have to remove it though? It does not slow down the loading of the properties tab; Windows manages property sheets in an on-demand matter: they only execute code when you show them, not just on opening the dialog.

@Asus L3500TP: that is probably due to this one:
http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=132

@sims39: Firefox de-immunization is still kind of slow, that's right. Still faster than before the fix though ;)

The "multiple instances" thing, with programs having many windows open or not, is a long story in software development ;) Imho, the operating system should offer a dedicated way to set this behaviour, but it doesn't. I've blogged (http://ccrdude.net/2006/07/making-sure-application-runs-only-in.html) (very technical though) about it once; there are at least four different "standard" methods to prevent multiple instances of an application, each with its own advantages and disadvantages (window classes and message pings might be bad when run under different privileges on Vista, mutexes are bad when an application crashes, the process list has disadvantages regarding 32 vs. 64 bit systems...).
Still, it works as intended here. I will have to test on Vista, might be the thing mentioned above.

The text just has not been updated to say "Vista", it should work fineon Vista as well. The text basically just means 9x based (single-user OS) vs. NT based (multi-user OS with access rights) :)

Custom titles are, well, custom titles ;) For Internet Explorer windows, to be exact. Some malware actually changed that; and some custom IE versions (usually provided by Internet access providers) do add their name there so that you see it on top of every IE window. Or you could enter your own.
Not sure if it even still works in IE7.

Tools - System Startup indeed has a confirmation, unless you've disabled confirmation dialogs on the settings page. The button stati are set whenever you click the list, press a key while the list is focused. Updated that to also update the button status when entering the page, thanks :)

SysInternals - button enabled state fixed.

Yes, the uninstall list is just that - a list to be able to get rid of uninstall entries that don't go away the usual way, and to see what's installed (while you're already browsing the other tools, that might be helpful).

Opt Out will be removed in the future as well. People expect it in a 1.x version, but it's really just a simple list which is better off as a list on the website or forum.

TeaTimer is not just for the registry monitor, but also for monitoring running applications etc.. The way the Windows Security Center stuff is declared, "snooze" is the proper state for TeaTimer not running, since Spybot-s&D is not "complete".

Hope I didn't miss anything :)

sims39
2008-01-07, 14:32
thanks mate, i am not sure but i think you said you fixed that icon not showing, anyway will test next release, also i am bringing up the ability to right click on folders and choose the spybot tab, folders, files and both together.
also vista is strange, i had spybot running a scan and i could launch spybot again and scan at the same time and when i double click teatimer to bring up the minimized spybot it opens a knew instance, read your blog, i just hope someone at microsoft reads it.

keep up the good work.

jeeprad
2008-01-10, 06:38
as asked by Asus L3500TP in post #5:

"Just one thing I have seen : now I have 57236 items secured ... and before it was more than 85 000 items with 1.5.1.18 !!!"

My upgrade to v1.5.1.19 worked as it was supposed to (on a Win2K), but I recommended it to a someone else with XP SP2, and he has the same problem as Asus L3500TP. :sad:

If anyone answered Asus' question, I can't find it.:scratch:

md usa spybot fan
2008-01-10, 07:08
as asked by Asus L3500TP in post #5:

If anyone answered Asus' question, I can't find it.:scratch:

Answered in post #10 (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=151668&postcount=10):

@Asus L3500TP: that is probably due to this one:

jeeprad
2008-01-10, 09:46
Didn't understand a word of it. :red:

jeeprad
2008-01-10, 10:29
... and then took too long editing it :banghead:

I did read that explanation initially. I didn't even realize it addressed the question I asked. :blink:

So is that saying that certain "system account profiles" (?) won't be immunized any more because it is unlikely that they will be accessed?
Can the user be assured that he has the same amount of protection, even though the number of immunized items appears to be less than before?

Please try to simplify the explanation for me if you would be so kind.

Thanks.

k_kolev1985
2008-01-10, 10:44
Hello Spybot Team,

Hope this is the right place to post this. If not, sorry!
Since I've upgraded to Spybot SD 1.5.2, there's a strange thing going on in TeaTimer. Every Time I start Windows, TeaTimer warns me about some registry changes. And there are the registry changes from last windows startup (they are the same on every Windows startup, if I'm not wrong):

10.01.2008 г. 09:38:46 Allowed (based on user decision) value "Local Page" (new data: "%SystemRoot%\system32\blank.htm") changed in Browser page!
10.01.2008 г. 09:38:53 Allowed (based on user decision) value "BootExecute" (new data: "autocheck autochk *
") changed in Session manager!
10.01.2008 г. 09:38:53 Allowed (based on user decision) value "BootExecute" (new data: "autocheck autochk *
") changed in Session manager!
10.01.2008 г. 09:38:54 Allowed (based on user decision) value "ExcludeFromKnownDlls" (new data: "") changed in Session manager!
What's going on? What are those registry changes? As you can probably see, I've allowed all of those changes. Did I do good? Or maybe I should have denied them? Please HELP!

Thank you for the help in advance!
Best wishes!

PepiMK
2008-01-10, 11:22
See this thread (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=22328) just a few below this one :)

Allowing them was indeed the right thing; their value wasn't restored quite properly from the snapshot files, that's why they're shown.

k_kolev1985
2008-01-10, 12:03
See this thread (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=22328) just a few below this one :)

Allowing them was indeed the right thing; their value wasn't restored quite properly from the snapshot files, that's why they're shown.

Thank you for pointing that thread! Sorry that I was too lazy to look around the forum. And even the thread was a few below this one. Shame of me! But ... thanks again anyway. And sorry if my english is not so good :).

nOInfectIOn
2008-01-10, 13:04
same computer, XP SP2 - jan. 08:
"includes" - 09/01/2008: scan-runtime: exact. 26 min.
LG :)

Hitchhiker427
2008-01-11, 01:14
@hash420: you would have to unregister SDFiles.dll; on a command line, switch to the Spybot-S&D folder and type:

regsvr32 /u sdfiles.dll
What reason do you have to remove it though? It does not slow down the loading of the properties tab; Windows manages property sheets in an on-demand matter: they only execute code when you show them, not just on opening the dialog.

Thanks a lot for this. I've been looking for a solution to this since I've upgraded.

The reason I want to remove it is that it's useless to me. I hate software that feels the need to take over your system by installing extra components everywhere. I like my computer to be clean and uncluttered. The reason I installed Spybot was to remove this kind of software in the first place!

Please add an option to easily disable this "feature" in future releases. Thanks.

jeeprad
2008-01-11, 01:41
In reference to my posts #12, 14 and 15, which in turn referenced Asus L3500TP in post #5:
"Just one thing I have seen : now I have 57236 items secured ... and before it was more than 85 000 items with 1.5.1.18 !!!"

Is no one going to even try to simplify the explanation of why there are (seemingly) less items immunized now than before?

Perhaps I'm wrong and maybe I really am stupid, but I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one who doesn't understand the explanation as given here:

Rosenfeld
2008-01-11, 04:05
On your PC, in addition to user accounts you have created, there are other accounts (which are part of Windows), such as system, local service, network service, allusers, default.

Before the latest update, Spybot added the same inmmunization registry entries to most of those accounts as well as to user accounts you have created, which made the total number of immunization items much larger, because each registry entry is counted separately. For example, immunization against one threat registered for 5 accounts counts as 5 items in the total. Since the link you give states that they are no longer added to system, local service and network service accounts accounts, the total now is a lot less, but the number of distinct threats against which your system is immunized is not less.

I have only one user account and on my system, there are now a total of 33003 immunization items.

jeeprad
2008-01-11, 07:52
Good explanation and all I needed to know. :bigthumb:

bhamer
2008-01-14, 22:18
is this the latest beta build out? i clicked on the blue linke that says click here to download and that is the name of the file that is gave me. the one i have in before i install this one is v1.15.1.17 if someone could let me know if this is the thread that i need to look in to keep the most up todate program in my pc thanks im running xp pro 3.4ghurst prosesser 1gig of DRR Ram 533 mhurst front side bus

spybotsandra
2008-01-14, 22:22
Hello,

That is the latest version. :)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Gaming4JC
2008-01-15, 01:03
Glad to see the slowwwww startup bug is finally getting fixed. I was just getting ready to start a new topic till I found this, lol. :bigthumb:

sbc770
2008-01-15, 16:53
Hello,

on a PC with Windows 98SE, the new feature in 1.5.2 RC1:
new tab "Spybot-S&D" displayed in the properties of every file,
make that Explorer crashes each time you try to open this tab.

(At least, it would be useful to be able to easily uninstall or disable it.)

Thanks.
Charles.

PS : I had to downgrade to "spybotsd15he-beta2" (aka 1.5.1.18),
which is working fine ;)

flakzeus
2008-01-16, 16:03
Is there an MSI installer for this version?

powder21
2008-01-18, 10:49
Hi, I think this is an issue with 1.5 in general, but I thought I would post here as well since I'm using 1.5.2 RC1:

I notice there's some changes to how immunization operates and I'm wondering what those red "unprotected" numbers mean.

Also...Why on earth does teatimer use 34MB of RAM?

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

-Ryan

Fred51
2008-01-18, 15:17
Hello-

I've been running the 1.5.1.15 version for a few weeks on XP Pro, and the program has proven (to me) to work very well. I had a very recent issue within XP Pro that said "a certain program will not allow would not you to disconnect from the wireless router." As well, I was not able to "click" on the WINDOWS download updates button and have the WINDOWS page fully load and check my system for needed updates. Bottom line, I ran the scan as well as the registry scan and both problems were resolved.....thank you.

Using V. 1.5.1.15, startup is ~30 sec.

I'm planning on installing the program on a new VISTA system, and I want to make sure there are no issues that will hamper the new system.

I've read some of the forum threads and found the 1.5.1.19 (1.5.2) upgrade and downloaded that upgrade file. When I highlight the file, it is displayed as v 1.5.1.18. Is this correct???

Thanks........

PepiMK
2008-01-21, 14:54
@flakzeus: MSI installer should be available with the final release :)

@powder21: unprotected means that the immunization couldn't applied for some reason. Usually, it's another security product, e.g. ZoneAlarm, blocking the immunization.

@Fred51: When you highlight which file exactly?
I just checked, both the installer (spybotsd152rc1.exe) and the installed main executable (SpybotSD.exe) have version 1.5.1.19 available. That it is not 1.5.2 yet is just because it's still the release candidate, the final will have a 1.5.2.20 (or .21 ...) version number.