PDA

View Full Version : virus spreading through msn messanger

hack2600
2008-01-07, 18:05
hi,
i was wondering if anyone could help me or give me some advice?

i have seemed to have downloaded a virus from a mate through msn messanger, its was a rar file but the title of the file was something like "best new years crew pic ever" and there are also different names for the same file as well,

the bad thing about it is that it now sends the same file to all my contacts in my messanger list without me knowing so now most of my friends and family have the same problem as me

i have un-installed msn and re installed it and it doesnt seem to work i have also scanned my comp with avg and it found a trojhan horse virus but the problem is still occuring, i have also downloded spy bot and that is currerntly scanning as i type this but if the problem still persist i dont know what to do

anyone got any ideas?

would be most greatful for them

thanks!:bigthumb:

PS: i have also done a system restore back a week because some computer bloke said at work that might fix the problem?

tashi
2008-01-07, 18:16
Hello.

PS: i have also done a system restore back a week because some computer bloke said at work that might fix the problem?

Actually, doing such destroys your last known good restore point and we advise against it. Also, performing a system restore will not remove infections. ;)

Please follow the procedure in this link:
"BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Then start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) where a helper will advise you when available.

Cheers.

honda12
2008-01-07, 18:58
msn messenger (or now known as windows live messenger) is a great way to spread viruses, so to avoid being infected in future you need to secure messenger as much as possible:

First go to tools - options - file transfer - check "Automatically reject file transfers for known unsafe file types", un-check "automatically share backgrounds and accept shared backgrounds"

Save all downloaded files to a certain folder and if possible configure your anti-virus to scan that folder.

And if you are slightly paranoid you can also download something like 'sandboxie' to further isolate downloaded files.

But the main advice is to always ask 'where did you get that file from?' and simple questions like that. I rather ask a couple of questions than be infected with malware and have to spend loads of time trying to get rid of it! :police:

honda12
2008-01-07, 19:04
its was a rar file but the title of the file was something like "best new years crew pic ever"

Also a so called "picture" stored in a .rar file isn't exactly common aswell.:clown:

Common sense is one of best ways to stop viruses infecting your computer :bigthumb:

good luck, and as Tashi said, post your problem in the malware removal forum.