PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.3 and 1.4

Danny
2006-02-04, 13:00
Hello
One friend of mine have the S&D version 1.3......can he have the lastest detection rules with this 1.3 or he must upgrade to 1.4??
Bye :bigthumb:

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-04, 13:28
The current detection rules work with Spybot 1.3. However, unless your friend is using Spybot on a Windows 95 system, I recommend that they upgrade to Spybot 1.4.

Danny
2006-02-04, 13:33
Ok....thanks you!!what a fast reply!!!!!!!!
Bye

Lukie
2006-02-04, 19:14
Version 1.4?
Since when?
Can I download it now and use it?
Used 1.3 for so long and, it tells me that I'm using the latest available. Why is this happening?
:confused:

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-04, 19:40
Version 1.4?
Right!

Since when?
June 1, 2005 (2005-06-01).

Unless you are running Windows 95, you should consider upgrading to Spybot 1.4. There are four (4) download sites for Spybot-S&D 1.4 here:
Mirror Selection – The home of Spybot–S&D!
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Uninstall Spybot-S&D 1.3: FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
How to uninstall?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/27.htmlInstall Spybot-S&D 1.4:
Execute spybotsd14.exe download above.
Do not change the default installation path of:C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
Make sure that you update Sptbot-S&D 1.4 before running a scan.
Note: If you upgrade and use TeaTimer be aware of the following:
There is currently a bug in TeaTimer 1.4. Portions of TeaTimer's popup dialog overlay the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons. On my system the very top edges of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing and I am still able to select the options. I also can check "Remember this decision" since it is visible. If no portion of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing, you can answer TeaTimer's popup dialog (English language version) by pressing "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change". If you close the dialog without answering "Allow change" or "Deny change" the registry change is denied. Note that if you close the popup dialog without answering it the registry change will be denied.

If you can't deal with the problem that way until it is fixed, you can:
Apply one of the workarounds found in the following pinned (Sticky) thread that fixes the pop-up dialog so the buttons are visible:
Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122
Disable TeaTimer as follows:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
Uncheck the following:Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Used 1.3 for so long and, it tells me that I'm using the latest available. Why is this happening?
The program updates were not delivered through the integrated update facility with the detection updates, they have to be download separately.

noel-pr7
2006-02-06, 20:13
Version 1.4?
Since when?
:confused:

A few good reasons why PC users should upgrade to Spybot 1.4 is version 1.4 fixes several serious bugs from 1.3 such as the !#%$*^ "Error During Check" bug that used to drive me crazy.

my sanity was restored when I upgraded to spybot 1.4 back in june 2005 and it ran fine on my WinME computer. and still runs good even with the latest detection updates installed.

bitman
2006-02-06, 22:52
The major reason for upgrading to Spybot S&D 1.4 is that 1.3 can't use over half the detections included in the current updates. Since the core technology to support Services and WinLogon entries was added to 1.4, there is no way for 1.3 to take advantage of these.

Basically, there are so many existing issues with 1.3 and it's so out of date, the only reason NOT to update to 1.4 is if the PC is Windows 95. There's also the TeaTimer pop-up dialog display issue mentioned by md usa spybot fan above, but that only matters if you use TeaTimer Resident and can be fixed via the link he included.
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=10719&postcount=5

One note of interest: Since Windows 9x versions don't support Services there's really no reason for them to download the Services.sbi file that I can see. Since this file is currently almost half the size of the updates, it would greatly reduce the size of download required if it was skipped on Win 9x based systems. Since many still using 9x are also on dial-up, this would help both these users and to a small extent the download servers if this could be automated. Obviously those with Dial-up and W2K/XP or newer would still need the full update.