PDA

View Full Version : What Files/Folders to Scan

jbecker1958
2006-02-04, 17:17
When runnng spybot does it scan the entire hard drive or just certain folders? I recently read a post encouraging people to download all downloads to a sprecific folder, a practice I haven't been doing. So, is there something I should do now to veriy my entire system is clean? I've created a flolder named alldownloads that I intend to use in the future. How do I insure that spybot will check that folder. Thanks.

PS I did check FAQ, but only saw 1 FAQ under spybot, which I assume isn't the case. Thanks.

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-04, 18:05
When runnng spybot does it scan the entire hard drive or just certain folders?
Spybot does not scan the entire file system. There is a brief explanation of how it scans here:
Why is Spybot-S&D so fast?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/1.html

I recently read a post encouraging people to download all downloads to a sprecific folder, a practice I haven't been doing. So, is there something I should do now to veriy my entire system is clean? I've created a flolder named alldownloads that I intend to use in the future. How do I insure that spybot will check that folder.
The feature that you are looking for is the "Advanced mode" feature "Directories". This feature does a "special installer scan". To implement it, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Directories and add a directory.

It sounds like you understand that the feature is just for downloads, but before considering adding items to the "Directories" feature make sure that you understand what the feature is used for. Read the notes on the "Directories" facility screen, the help facility comments about the feature as well as the following so that you understand the purpose and the pitfalls:
Why does Spybot-S&D find so many Spyware installers / how is that Download directories setting used?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/15.html

jbecker1958
2006-02-04, 20:54
Thanks! I appreicate your assistance.