PDA

View Full Version : Registry Entry Change

herbb
2008-01-09, 03:11
A notice appears each time I check my e-mails. It reads as:
Spybot has detected an important registry entry that has been changed.
Catagory: Winlogon
Change: Value Changed
Entry: Default user name
Old data: Herbb
New data: Rose
What is it telling me, and what steps do I need to perform to eliminate it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

spybotsandra
2008-01-09, 10:13
Hello,

The reason why TeaTimer asked you is because it would ask you about any similar changes in the registry without regarding if it is good or bad.
There are so many registry keys that it is impossible to classify them by default. So the user has to decide if he wants to allow it or not.
The TeaTimer is making snapshot files when you start it the first time and the tool is comparing the current registry with the snapshot files.
If you want to make new snapshot files please shutdown the TeaTimer with the Resident icon and then start it manually from the Spybot S&D program folder.
There is no possibility yet to hide the popups which remind you which keys are blocked. As a workaround, you can only make new snapshot files.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

herbb
2008-01-10, 03:50
Thanks SpyBot Sandra for your response, however I am "Computer Challanged". Would you please walk me thru how to locate & shut down the TeaTimer wit the resident icon and then start it manually from thje Spybot S&D program folder. Your help is greatly appreciated.

spybotsandra
2008-01-10, 12:29
Hello,

You can disable TeaTimer as follows: - Go into Spybot - Mode - Advanced Mode - Tools - Resident.
- Uncheck the following: Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Then you can go to your Spybot folder which depends on where you have stored it.
C:\Programms\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
or
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot