PDA

View Full Version : Parasite terminating Spybot, Hijackthis, etc.

smspiffy
2008-01-09, 20:36
WinXP SP2 machine infected with unknown parasite which cleverly terminates Spybot, Hijackthis, SAV, Kapersky, etc. By this I mean when executing the application it simply ceases to function with no error message. They just disappear. The same occurs when attempting to install Spybot 1.5; specifically, the language selection option appears and after selecting English it terminates.
Parasite also closes Firefox and IE browsers when any of the above application names are searched.

I had SAV installed and updated daily. It found nothing on a full system search. I then installed Norton 360 in its place (which required that SAV be uninstalled) and it was unable to complete a full system scan. It simply hung up at an unrelated location twice. Now SAV cannot be installed. The parasite simply terminates the install.

I have attempted to scan with Spybot using The Ultimate Boot CD for Windows, ver. 3.1. Spybot yielded some cookies and two registry changes “NoDispAppearancePage.” Repairing these issues did not resolve the issue. However, upon reboot the “NoDispAppearancePage” registry changes are again caught when running Spybot from The Ultimate Boot CD. Other program scans (Ad-Aware, McAfee Stinger) have yielded no clues.

I could reformat and reinstall but I am very interested in determining the root cause of this infection.

I am able to run Security Task Manager but I have been unable to terminate the correct process which is linked to the parasite.

Any help you experts can provide would be most welcomed.

smspiffy
2008-01-10, 09:26
I forgot to advise that I have also tried running and installing these utilities in safe mode with no success. I have also tried the Kapersky online scan but the parasite terminates the browser immediately. Other online scanners found nothing.