PDA

View Full Version : Problem with scanning

DJa-C
2008-01-11, 14:15
I've had a look through the forum and cannot see another problem like this one, and so am posting a new thread - apologies if it duplicates an old one.

I'm trying to tidy up a PC running Windows XP Pro SP-2, and am having serious problems with running Spy-Bot S&D... For background, I have had it on every computer I have owned in the past few years (that makes at least 7), have installed it to protect every computer I've even worked on, and have never had a significant problem.

The computer in question is only a couple of years old, and the only "unusual" thing that I have yet been able to identify is that it was set up by an "expert" with the hard-drive address F: instead of C:

So my first question is: Does this make a difference? (Aside from installation of course).

Now, I only have two symptoms to work with. The first is an error message that consistently appears (every 10 scanned items or so) when trying to scan the computer, which reads:

"Exception Processing Message c0000013 parameters 75b6f9c 75b6f9c 75b6f9c"

The second symptom is that immunisation stops after perhaps 4,000 threats and does not continue or respond...

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be, and rather more helpfully, how I can work round it? I'll happily provide more information if needed (& if I can, of course).

I hope to hear back! and sorry to have been so wordy!
Yours DJa-C

DJa-C
2008-01-11, 14:33
A small note to add that I am by no means a professional in computing terms! the computer in question is in a church and used by one or two clerical and non-clerical technophobes, and I'm trying to make the church's internet use a little more secure.

honda12
2008-01-11, 23:36
Hi DJa-C,

What version of spybot search and destroy are you running? :)

DJa-C
2008-01-11, 23:57
Hi DJa-C,

What version of spybot search and destroy are you running? :)

Oh yes! Knew I'd forget something... it is whichever is available directly from the downloads page right now! so 1.51.83 or something of that nature?

honda12
2008-01-12, 11:38
Oh yes! Knew I'd forget something... it is whichever is available directly from the downloads page right now! so 1.51.83 or something of that nature?

The version on the main download page the spybot version is 1.5.1.15

Your first question about an installation in drive F: instead of C:, I don't think there is any difference. (apart from the different letters :laugh:) But, im not expert on this subject, so I may be wrong. Did this expert say anything about why he installed to drive F: instead of the default C:?

--------------

As for the errors im no too sure either - the best way to go about this, would be:

try running spybot with administator rights

Then if you still have problems I would upgrade spybot to the new spybot beta 1.5.1.19 (also known as 1.5.2 RC)

Download page: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=22299

If you still have problems, then we know it is not just spybot 1.5.1.15

Hopefully something can help ;)

DJa-C
2008-01-12, 13:45
The version on the main download page the spybot version is 1.5.1.15

Your first question about an installation in drive F: instead of C:, I don't think there is any difference. (apart from the different letters :laugh:) But, im not expert on this subject, so I may be wrong. Did this expert say anything about why he installed to drive F: instead of the default C:?

--------------

As for the errors im no too sure either - the best way to go about this, would be:

try running spybot with administator rights

Then if you still have problems I would upgrade spybot to the new spybot beta 1.5.1.19 (also known as 1.5.2 RC)

Download page: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=22299

If you still have problems, then we know it is not just spybot 1.5.1.15

Hopefully something can help ;)

Thank you very much for this, Honda12, it's much appreciated.

In answer to your first question, the expert didn't even leave a Windows disk by the sounds of things... I don't know him, and it was done as a "charitable favour to the Church" they paid him a few hundred to build them a computer and set it up. The Windows copy is legit, and there's a sticker on the machine, but I can't find the disk anywhere.

And so no, no idea why it's all installed to F: I wonder if it was at a putative security method? It may just have been personal preference. Beyond these, I can only begin to imagine - certainly the machine has no active C: drive.

As far as I know, I've been running with the administrator account, and as there isn't even a password on the machine ("it'll be too hard for people to use it"... [just to create the back-drop]), I can't imagine that it's anything else. That said, I will double check!

I'll have a go at installing the new Beta tomorrow and see how I get on. Many thanks again, and I'll post the results!