PDA

View Full Version : RegistryFix malware?

Mike...
2008-01-12, 10:34
I apologize for the restarting of a locked thread, but there's still much to discuss.

When we installed RegistryFix in this clean enviroment it showed us about 100 "heavy" threads. Most of them were important registry keys and not some crap that should be deleted.

Threats... are not labelled as heavy as far as I can tell. There are different sections such as file associations, invalid shortcuts, etc...

So, what were those important registry keys?

Both posts from Sandra where totally correct and from our database.

And the database can't but be correct?!

In fact we have a lot of screenshots showing that your software detected harmless entries.

Show them, here, for all of us to see.

Of course I will ignore Spybot on this one. There have been false positives in the past. I always came straight to these boards to find out what was going on. Usually, I would find a thread with interesting posts, helping me to decide which way to go.

But now that good faith has gotten a serious dent.

And just when it finally gets interesting and we get a hint at some real/alleged facts, you lock the thread. That's a sign of weakness guys.

:rolleyes:

You may lock the thread, I will make another site my first destination now. May very well get rid of Spybot, it's running like molasses anyway. Although I understand there's a 1.5.2 update in the pipeline, which I will probably try out first.

- Disappointed

spybotsandra
2008-01-12, 17:19
Hello,

As MisterW already said we will deal with this on monday when he is back at work an can provide any screenshots.

Anyway....you do not want to believe us....we have tested this product carefully. But perhaps you will believe another anti-spyware software that is also detecting RegistryFix?
Link (http://spywarefiles.prevx.com/RRCJBD56702/REGISTRYFIX.EXE.html)
Guess all of us are bad and we all have this false positive on your beloved software, and only you are right...

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

registryfix
2008-01-12, 18:51
Hello,

As MisterW already said we will deal with this on monday when he is back at work an can provide any screenshots.

Anyway....you do not want to believe us....we have tested this product carefully. But perhaps you will believe another anti-spyware software that is also detecting RegistryFix?
Link (http://spywarefiles.prevx.com/RRCJBD56702/REGISTRYFIX.EXE.html)
Guess all of us are bad and we all have this false positive on your beloved software, and only you are right...

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Are we just making things up as we go along? This link is not talking about our software, simply an exe named registryfix.exe. You can even verify that by viewing the behaviors listed :

"The following behaviors have been observed for this object:
Installs programs.
Deletes programs.
Invokes dll components.
Creates Run Keys.
Modifies the hostsfile.
Runs other programs.
Communicates with web sites using httpout protocols.
Inspects email address books.
Creates known malware.
Creates copies of itself.
Modifies Vulnerable System Files."

Either way, Mike, while I appreciate your enthusiasm about our software and the detection of our software, I am confident spybot will work with us in a reasonable way to correct the listing once we provide whatever information we can. On that note, I feel it's best to leave it to be dealt with between the two companies involved.

I have already initiated contact with Markus and hope to remedy the situation soon.

-Michael

Mike...
2008-01-12, 19:08
That new link is indeed talking about something totally unrelated... :oops:

I will let it rest now and am confident that you can work it out.

:)

honda12
2008-01-12, 23:23
this is Mcafee's site advisor report: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/registryfix.com

it seems that some people believe that registryfix contains adware and other 'baddies', while others say it is legitimate software.

MisterW
2008-01-14, 16:35
Michael,
I just sent you a mail. RegistryFix will be reviewed in the next days.

Regards,
Markus

Tom.K
2008-01-14, 19:23
this is Mcafee's site advisor report: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/registryfix.com

it seems that some people believe that registryfix contains adware and other 'baddies', while others say it is legitimate software.
McAfee SiteAdvisor report for Company URL: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/noadware.net

RegistryFix info:
Company:Marketflip Technologies, LLC

Description: Software belongs to Marketflip Technologies. Its domain is registered through domains by proxy. Neither license nor website state proper contact information or any information about the company. This software is identical to ErrorClean which is also from Marketflip Technologies.

arinborn
2009-04-02, 20:45
Clean install XP SP1, on old PC. Message box appeared SYSTEM FAILURE etc. Directed to go to registryupdate.com This a part of registry fix. While it appears to be a prompt from Microsoft I strongly believe it is ad/spyware, as it keeps popping up. I ran a free registry scan and repair tool called Advanced SystemCare Free that I found on Cnet. 250,000 downloads versus next most popular, CCleaner, with around 50,000. Once I've downloaded all Microsoft patches and Service Packs, I'll run Spybot to delouse this ad/spy-ware.

Mike...
2009-04-02, 23:52
A blast from the past!

IMHO, a message like that does not magically pop up on a system that has just had Windows reinstalled. And a clean (non-repair, I hope) install of XP SP1 really ought to be a clean install of XP SP3. Slipstream... Then install firewall and anti-virus, only then connect to the net, then get all other MS updates. Then do "other stuff"...

Still haven't had any issues with RegistryFix. The current version is 7.1 and is not being reported by Spybot (or anything else).

Advanced SystemCare Free, now that doesn't sound kosher to me. Go Crap Cleaner! :laugh:

Hope you can clean up the mess and learn a thing or two along the way. :wink: