PDA

View Full Version : Spybot - 100% of CPU

sparcnz
2008-01-17, 12:05
Hi All,

New here, so sorry if this has been asked before.
I have recently upgraded my wivies computer (which was running slow) to a faster M/B and CPU (2.3 Celeron). This computer is running slower then my old AMD 1.8, even with more memory and a faster video card (previous 8Mhz, now 64Mhz).
In the upgrade I also upgraded Spybot to 1.5.

Now I can not say for sure that Spybot is causing the problem, but when I run Spybot S&D, to scan, it slows the computer down, and uses 100% of the CPU, checked viewing the display in Task Manager. I am running 512Mhz of ram, which is double I had in the previous computer.

I also have a little icon in my notification area, which I believe is scanning, as I get messages up when-ever I install a new program, or change a setup?

I am just about to delete the program to see if it runs better (faster).

I am at a lost as to what might be the problem. :( I have even stopped trying to install other programs until I find the problem).
If anyone can steer me in the right drirection, I'd be grateful.
As I said it might not be Spybot, just concerned over the high CPU usage, and the scan icon in the notification.

Regards

Kevin.

md usa spybot fan
2008-01-17, 14:41
Kevin:

Please go into Spybot > Help > About and look at the version of Spybot 1.5 you are running.

If you are running Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.1.15, there were many reports of Spybot 1.5.1.15 itself starting slowly and consuming a lot of CPU time. The problem has been found and fixed. See the following tracking task (which includes a link for a fix to the problem):
Find out about delayed user interface startup
http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=85
In addition there are another beta versions of Spybot 1.5 that solve the slow start as well as other known problems that have been encountered since the original release of Spybot 1.5. For example:
http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/beta/spybotsd15he-beta2.exe

Spybot is quite CPU intensive and always has been. If you are having difficulty running other things during a scan, you could try to lower the priority at which Spybot scans. If you go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings > in the option tree under Main Settings there is a Scan priority section. Choose "lower" or "lowest". Please note that scan time will most likely increase if you are using the system actively but you should be able to get other things done.

The system tray icon is associated with TeaTimer which is an active protection that monitors changes to certain system Registry keys such as System Startup, ActiveX Distribution Unit, Browser page and Browser Helper Object, etc. When any change is detected to these Registry keys a pop-up dialog is issued asking you to allow or deny the change and if you want TeaTimer to remember the decision. TeaTimer also monitors processes that are initiated in the system. If the process being initiated matches a list of processes in Spybot's detection files, the process is terminated and a dialog is issued to notify you and allow you to make choices as to how to handle the same process during future detections.

TeaTimer was not check as a default installation option in Spybot 1.3 and 1.4, but it is checked as a default installation option in Spybot 1.5.

To terminate TeaTimer and to stop it from running in the future, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident. Under the heading "Resident protection status", uncheck the following item: Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.