PDA

View Full Version : Tools-System Startup-Explorer.exe

TreeHead
2008-01-20, 01:04
Within the "Tools" area, while reviewing "System Startup", I noted the following entry (which I copied from "View Report"):

Located: System.ini, Shell
where: C:\WINDOWS\system.ini...
command: Explorer.exe
file:
size: 0
MD5: D41D8CD98F00B204E9800998ECF8427E
Warning: if the file is actually larger than 0 bytes,
the checksum could not be properly calculated!

ALL of the several "Database Status" descriptions indicate the above as "Not required - Virus - Spyware - Malware or other resource hog". Additionally, although I am able to toggle all other items listed in "System Startup", I cannot toggle (uncheck or otherwise deactivate) this particular item. I regularly check "System Startup" entries. Although this entry (Explorer.exe) is not shown in BOLD, I do believe it is new (within past two weeks). And YES, I am starting to have trouble while on the internet. Any advice, please?

Tom.K
2008-01-20, 08:49
Is startup highlighted with red color?
Go to Spybot-S&D>Tools>Process list and find explorer.exe.
If you find 2 processes, show their paths (real Explorer.exe should be in C:\WINDOWS\) and do not stop them because you can stop the real.

TreeHead
2008-01-20, 18:22
I found Explorer.exe in the upper window of Process list and highlighted it. In the lower window, Process Info., file name is shown as C:\Windows\Explorer.exe which you indicated is to be expected.

Nevertheless, I am confused and concerned by the "Database Status" which warns on ALL entries for this item
"Not required - Virus - Spyware - Malware or other resource hog" and which advises that Explorer.exe "would not normally appear in the MSCONFIG/STARTUP unless you added it manually". I don't recall ever "adding it manually" nor does Windows Explorer open up (to view) during startup. Additionally, I don't find any such entry in the actual Windows ME - MSCONFIG/STARTUP utility.

Do I, as indicated by Spybot, have a problem or is this some kind of mistake?

*NOTE- The "folder" icon along with several other icons (Cardfile, Calculator, Show Desktop, Internet Explorer and Email) appears near the "Start" button.

TreeHead
2008-01-20, 19:03
Forgot to mention recent error messages "Explorer has caused an erro in SHELL32.DLL" "Explorer will now close".

Tom.K
2008-01-20, 20:07
Can you find in system.ini which command is used for explorer.exe? If you have hijackthis, run it and find entry (DO NOT fix or delete anything!) F# (# - number) which contains something like this: system.ini: load=explorer.exe (or something else). Do not paste log!

TreeHead
2008-01-21, 01:18
Although HJT is on my PC, I've never actually used it (till now).
Immediately after doing the scan (w/ logfile), I did not see anything with words "Explorer.exe" in the scan portion (which is the one with the small boxes in front of the entries).
I do have the following info. which I hope will provide some insight:

From logfile of HJT:
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE

From c:\windows\system.ini (opened with Notepad)
shell=Explorer.exe