PDA

View Full Version : Finally got rid of CORE.CACHE.DSK

botoo
2008-01-20, 19:45
I tried all the virus removal programs and forum suggestions to get rid of my Virus' and yet the random IE pages kept coming up (mostly blank).

I finally found out that another file in the same directory as "core.cache.dsk" (windows/system32/drivers) was causing the problem. In my case it was named "motccqpp.sys" but it must be a random name. It caused "core.cache.dsk" to regenerate even after you got rid of it.

I remembered the file was created on the date my troubles began so I deleted it and deleted core.cache.dsk (you must use safe mode to do this), then reboot, and:

FIXED and no more problem.

ken545
2008-01-20, 21:59
Hello botoo

Welcome to Safer Networking.

Please read Before You Post (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)
All advice given by anyone volunteering here, is taken at own risk.
While best efforts are made to assist in removing infections safely, unexpected stuff can happen

Evidently you never took the time to read Before You Post. There is absolutly nothing I can do for you without seeing a HJT log. Not sure if your posting for help or just letting us know that you deleted that file. That file you deleted could be the tip of the iceburg.

If you require assistance than post a HJT log if not let me know and I will close this thread.

Download
Trendmicros Hijackthis (http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/_download/HJTInstall.exe) to your desktop, double click it to install, follow the prompts
and by default it will install in C:\Program Files\Trendmicro\Hijackthis\Highjackthis.exe

Open HJT Scan and Save a Log File, it will open in Notepad
Go to Format and make sure Wordwrap is Unchecked
Go to Edit> Select All.....Edit > Copy and Paste the new log into this thread by using the
Post Reply and not start a New Thread.

DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmlless or even required.

botoo
2008-01-21, 20:02
Hi,
I do not need assistance at this time. I believe I fixed my problem. Thank you.

Sorry if I did not use the proper procedure when posting.

Rich

ken545
2008-01-21, 23:56
Rich,

There may be more to fix than just that file you deleted, even though you may think you fixed it there may be more lurking on your system. With the threats going around today, deleting one or two files is not the answer to a clean system, but its Your call to post a log.

Ken