PDA

View Full Version : low speed

angel8
2008-01-21, 18:41
Hi to everybody, and thanks in advance to whom will be able to help me!
First of all I should mention I'm working in China. I want to underline this aspect because I know that some some problem about internet connection are commonin this country. By the way it's not only the spped on internet connection I'm worry about, but even the speed on normal daily work on my computer it's under process.
On a first step I thought I was under any malware or spyware. I tryed many and different spyware detector ... no improvement. Now I cleaned all these software from my computer. I only have installed Norton and since some days only even Spybot-S&D. I should say that the only trojan running on my PC was found by Spybot-S&D!
Even I destoyed this trojan, I had not any big improvement on my PC speed.
The only thing that seams to help my PC to "wake up" while working it when I simultanusly press "CTRL" & "ALT" (!)
Last but not least another important information to help you to give me usefull advice how to improve PC speed, it's that I'm working on wide range internet connetction and the speed it's 100Mbps.
I do not know if anyone can help me, I hope so!
Thanks and Ciao for the far China!

ndmmxiaomayi
2008-01-29, 14:28
Internet speeds are determined by your ISP, not the cable that connects to your modem or router.

If you are sure that your computer is clean, see here - http://www.castlecops.com/t175256-Slow_Computer_Check_here_first_it_may_not_be_malware.html

If unsure, you can get someone to check here - http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

DrWhoFL
2008-01-29, 16:35
You could be connected to the fastest internet connection in the world, and if your computer CPU is laboring under a huge load of Services, TSR's and programs running, your internet response will be slow.

Removing Norton is the very first thing I do to every computer I work on. (I work on home computers only)
It's invasive and not even a very good AV program and can bring some PC's right down to a crawl.
Removing Norton would be my first recommendation as a computer tech of many years.
Replace it with AVG 7.5 FREE for a much happier PC.

Then clean out all the temporary internet files, temp files, histories, cookies, etc. and DEFRAG your HD.

I wrote a XPCleanup.bat program that dumps about thirty different folders in the HD. Putting a shortcut to that batch file in the Startup folder, assures a free cleanup every time the PC is booted up.

There are many cleanup programs that do a very good job. The easiest one to get and use is already included with Windows. It's called Disk Cleanup and is in the System tools menu. Make a shortcut to it and put that on your desktop for easy access. Run it at least once a week, followed by a defrag, for a nice little Weekly Maintenance routine.

Good Luck,
The Doctor :bigthumb: