PDA

View Full Version : SDHelper

hhm7163
2008-01-23, 22:42
I had S&D for some years. Recently I could not get IE 6 to start. It eventually would start after a large number of attempts. Downloaded Firefox as a substitute until I figured it out. Found via a website that browser add-ons could be the problem. Went to Manage Add-Ons and it says that they could interfere. One of the add-ons was SDHelper. Thru process of elimination I found that SDHelper, when disabled, was the problem. No problem with any of the others and now no problem with IE promptly starting. I removed Spybot S&D and went with other well known products.
Anyone have a comment, solution, work-a-round?

md usa spybot fan
2008-01-23, 23:41
hhm7163:

SDHelper is a Browser Helper Object (BHO) that uses SDHelper.dll. What version of SDHelper.dll were you running?

Is the following statement correct?

... Thru process of elimination I found that SDHelper, when disabled, was the problem. ...
Are you saying that problem only occurs when the Spybot's SDHelper BHO is disabled?

hhm7163
2008-01-24, 18:23
I don't know the version. It is long gone now.

I meant when I disabled SDHelper my problem went away and I could then get IE to promptly start.
Therefore, SDHelper was the problem.

md usa spybot fan
2008-01-24, 20:50
hhm7163:

From your original query:

Anyone have a comment, solution, work-a-round?
I'm sorry but without addition information I'm at a loss.

From your latest post:

I don't know the version. It is long gone now.
Since you are no longer able to display the version of the SDHelper.dll that was causing the problem, can I assume that rather than just disable Spybot's resident SDHelper BHO that you actually the deleted the SDHelper.dll file itself by either: Deleting Spybot in it's entirely from your system.
--- Or ---
Deleting the SDHelper.dll file from Spybot's program library.

hhm7163
2008-01-25, 13:28
I removed S&D in entirety and don't plan on getting it back because of problem it caused. Apparently S&D needs SDHelper to properly operate.

md usa spybot fan
2008-01-25, 13:59
... Apparently S&D needs SDHelper to properly operate.
Not true. The use of features such as Immunization, TeaTimer as well as SDHelper are optional. Spybot can be still be used to scan and remove malware without any of those features being used.

hhm7163
2008-01-25, 19:03
Thanks. I thought I read at some site that SDHelper allows S&D to work with IE. So apparently I can opt out of SDHelper and all protection offered by S&D will apply to IE. Any protection not available by S&D without SDHelper activated? Are those options offered during download on a yes or no basis? I need to search for definitions of those options before I again download S&D. Any suggested place where they are explained?
I promise to go away after your (hoped for) reply.

PepiMK
2008-01-29, 10:19
Do you also use the Google toolbar?
If so, which version? That can be found behind the Settings button on the toolbar, menu Help there, then Infos.

johnw153
2008-02-12, 14:59
I have exactly the same problem with IE6 and S&D. It has taken me ages to pin down S&D as the culprit.

Starting IE6 would result in a IEXPLORE.EXE process starting, but no IE6 window except for maybe one in 6 to 8 attempts to start the app.

I've tried all sorts to fix this, but in the end using the IE6 Tools>Manage Add Ons ... menu and disabling the Spybot entries seems to have fixed the problem.

I am running Google Toolbar, version 4.0.1601.4978-big/en