PDA

View Full Version : Updates deselect selected cookies

Rosenfeld
2005-11-04, 21:32
The last two times that I updated, the 40 log-in cookies that I have selected to keep were deselected. First time I did not notice and let Spybot delete cookies (to clean up the ones I didn't want) and lost all of them. A bit of a nuisance as I had to go to all the web sites and log in again to recreate the cookies.

Second time (today), I checked first, they were deselected. Selected them again, ran a scan, it showed them all available to be deleted. Closed then opened Spybot, checked that the ones I wanted to keep were still selected, this time the scan only showed the number of unselected ones as available for deletion, thus working correctly.

It would be helpful if selected cookies settings were not annulled by updates, to avoid losing them.

bitman
2005-11-06, 13:01
I've heard of this issue before with Windows XP, but haven't seen it on other platforms that I can recall. My suspicion at the time was that it related to Fast User Switching, since this was used regularly by the person with the problem and the list seemed to 'come and go' intermittently.

Do you possibly use this to perform your updates? Might want to check the file containing the excluded cookies before and after the next update to confirm they're really listed or not. It could be the file is being masked somehow, which is what I suspected the FUS was causing to happen.

I believe you're already aware of this, but the excluded cookies list is located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes\Cookies.sbe

Rosenfeld
2005-11-06, 19:33
Thanks for response. Yes, I have XP home SP2.
Mine is the only user account and I have admin rights. I'm set up to bypass the logon screen and go directly to my desktop on at startup. All installs and updates are done from that account.
I checked and did have fast user switching enabled. I have disabled it now, since it's pretty useless with only one user account (guest account is diabled as well). I checked and can still log off from my account if I want to log in as system administrator (in safe mode as it's Home edition).

I'll see what happens at the next update.

Rosenfeld
2005-11-11, 18:43
Just to confirm that with fast user switching off, the latest update today (11/11), selected cookies settings were preserved.
Thanks.