PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Update Mgr + Backweb...

sandybeach
2008-01-24, 10:06
Recently I described Backweb as spyware . I got it w/ installer disk for Logitech 3 button PS2 ball mouse. When asked why do I think so I described as such:

It calls home in background, without pop-up notifying me and uploads information about my computer & environment (I, nor any average consumer,have no way to know EXACTLY what info is uploaded beyond their word it is harmless) then downloads & installs with out asking specific permission each time. If I remove 50+ folders of Backweb and check for updates for mouse manually, the first thing in download is the Backweb components. Why? Apparently the info it uploads to home is much more valuable to them than just the model/serial# of my mouse. Too best of my limited knowledge, there has never been any change to my mouse's settings or properties via update.

Given the extensive list of info they gather from my computer (listed in their policy) just from visiting their site, i suspect their call home wants at least as much:

"Logitech automatically collects on our server logs certain information about your computer hardware and software when you visit our Web site or use Logitech´s online services, such as Logitech Desktop Messenger (“LDM”). This information may include: your IP address, cookie information, globally unique identifier system, operating system, description of any Logitech products connected and how such products are used, browser type, domain names, access times, service provider and referring Web site addresses."

Part of their privacy policy says(out of context):

"Logitech will not disclose your personal information to any third party without your approval, EXCEPT that we reserve the right to disclose your personal information: (a) to any of our affiliates, subsidiaries, third party service providers or advisers that we deem appropriate;"
Sounds like: "Anyone who'll pay us enough for it".

Sounds like spyware to me! Am I wrong?

Just because it's successful in gathering info making Backweb salable to big Corporations for wider distribution & use doesn't make it "safe" for my best interests rather than theirs.

There are legitimate uses for such a product but that depends on each corporations moral code v/s their insatiable need for greater profits at almost any cost & by almost any means available.

Enron & marketing of sub-prime mortgages are 2
examples.

In their defense, I'm sure approval for this is buried in their EULAs somewhere.

I have similar concerns for Wild Tangent software (beyond just the drivers).

Am I wrong?? Appreciate your learned opinions!:buried::scratch: ;)
Thank You for your time & thoughts!! Sandy

spybotsandra
2008-01-24, 11:06
Hello,

BackWeb Lite is a program that allows the download of files in the background. Among others (Cogeco, HP Center, Kodak, F-Secure) Logitech uses BackWeb for updates.

If you did delete BackWeb Lite, you might experience problems during updates.

There were some critical BackWeb versions in the past, but those which were critical (Western Digital-Version and the first Logitech-Version) are not available anymore.
The current versions (Kodak etc.) are no longer dangerous and are not ad- or spyware.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

sandybeach
2008-01-25, 06:46
always find comfort knowing you're on board for us in our time of need!!!!:wub::flowers: Sandy

spybotsandra
2008-01-25, 10:17
Your're welcome :)