PDA

View Full Version : Advanced problems with Resident client

Cyborg Ninja
2008-01-25, 18:50
This may be a difficult problem to solve and is very technical. I'm going to skip a lot of background information here. My desktop computer runs WinXP Pro SP2 and I recently downloaded and installed Spybot and its Resident. In reality, I didn't want the Resident to startup all the time but I did not stop it via msconfig until later. I was in Safe Mode I believe and running a program called Process Explorer, which is like Task Manager on steroids. I ended two svchost processes, for reasons I don't need to get into here. Then I rebooted my computer. However, these two svchost processes now will not run. I normally would have 5 running, but now have only 3. So several programs dependent on running through svchost are not working, such as the audio and the network. When I go into services.msc and try to start a service that uses svchost, it will usually give me an error like "Cannot start in safe mode" or whatever. However, I am not in safe mode, and I think that is a red herring, so don't take it literally. I tried looking at registry entries for svchost and it was too complicated for me to guess at.

What can I do now?

md usa spybot fan
2008-01-25, 21:22
What can I do now?
Try doing a System Restore to a restore point prior to when you went into Safe Mode, terminated svchost processes, etc.

Cyborg Ninja
2008-01-25, 21:44
That worked, thanks. I didn't think System Restore was running properly on that desktop, but it turned out it was my other desktop that had it disabled. Still have to figure out what is causing my hardware interrupts and DPCs, but at least now I have my normal config back.

md usa spybot fan
2008-01-25, 22:39
You're welcome. Glad to have helped.

I’m sorry that you're down on Spybot because of its poor QA testing. It may not be the best situation, but you have to remember that Spybot has a very small staff supported by donations and that they depend a great deal on the users to do their QA testing for them. I guess they can't count on you being one of them any longer.