PDA

View Full Version : Zip files

Teesa
2008-01-29, 03:10
I was curious to know if Spybot scans inside .zip files or not?

I just downloaded a bunch of screensavers for my childrens puter and wanted to make sure they were clean before transfering the savers [their puter doesn't have internet access and therefore no security prog's on it].

Will Spybot do this or do I need to extract them first? Please tell me I don't have to install each one to find out for sure, :eek:

Thanks!!

tashi
2008-01-29, 03:31
Hello,

I just downloaded a bunch of screensavers for my childrens puter and wanted to make sure they were clean before transfering the savers [their puter doesn't have internet access and therefore no security prog's on it].

Will Spybot do this or do I need to extract them first? Please tell me I don't have to install each one to find out for sure, :eek:

Thanks!!
Downloading screensavers can be a quick way to infection, see this topic:14 ways to get Infected without trying (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=22806&postcount=4) ;)

Where did you download them from and by which method. P2P program or?

Any zip file should be scanned with an anti virus program before unzipping though.

Cheers.

Teesa
2008-01-29, 06:32
I downloaded them from freesaver.com. Some were previously zipped, other's were .exe files. Spybot, Ad-Aware and AVG did not find anything wrong.

Is there a setting in Spybot to checkmark to make sure it looks or is it a given that it does? I don't remember any settings for .zip files, but then again, I hadn't thought of it before. :red:

tashi
2008-01-29, 09:48
I downloaded them from freesaver.com. Some were previously zipped, other's were .exe files.

Please see: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/freesaver.com

Careful out there, especially with .exe's. ;)

Spybot-S&D does not scan zip files, please use your anti virus program for such.

Best wishes. :)

Teesa
2008-01-31, 20:46
AVG did come up clean, but I'm going to extract them all and double check.

It's been years since I downloaded anything like that - the last one I remember doing was a desktop theme for when Buffy the Vampire Slayer came out!! :laugh: :laugh:

I do run scans when I do download things - guess it was rather pointless at the time since they're usually zipped, but I'm a faithful grrl who updates daily and runs weekly. I'm VERY strict, and rather persnickety, when it comes to MY puter :police:

Thanks for letting me know!

tashi
2008-01-31, 20:51
I'm VERY strict, and rather persnickety, when it comes to MY puter :police:

I know the feeling. :laugh: Sometimes my kid makes me :hair:

Teesa
2008-01-31, 22:33
Mine are 6 and 8, so still at the age that if they need something looked up, either I or Daddy do it.

It's funny when they ask me something that I don't know... they tell me, "Well, just Google it, Ummy!" :D: