PDA

View Full Version : can't install spybot

jasontift
2008-02-02, 20:39
don't matter which mirrior site i download from, once it goes to install, it does another download from 84.106.8.215 it says connecting but then it says unable to connect and I have to cancel install, Now I been using spybot since it came out this is the first time I've ever had this problem whats up?

spybotsandra
2008-02-02, 20:58
Hello,

Please try this direct installation file (http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/spybotsd152.exe).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

jasontift
2008-02-02, 21:04
seems it's 87.106.8.215 everything works until it trys to connect to that ip, it says connection cannot be made....I have nothing turned on that would block this ip address, I'm uisng windows xp and since I can post on the forum I know I'm online......

jasontift
2008-02-02, 21:10
got it working had to turn off updating during install, and all other options (such as seperate secure shredder) then it didn't try to download/install anything from 87.106.8.215 which let it install perfectly. I'm guessing whatever the above ip address was hosting they are no longer hosting.

now that it's installed, I cannot check for problems because I need the new detection rules which it can't find since I hit update/search it comes back saying no newer updates found.

thomfam
2008-02-04, 03:23
I have exactly the same problem with installing the latest spybot as Jasontift. His symptoms are word for word what I have. I tried the direct download as well. It goes to install, it gets to the update bit and comes up with updallocator (1 of 1) and connecting to 87.106.8.215. Then I get told it cannot connect to the server and to cancel the installation. I too tried installing without any 'extras' and it does install but now I cannot update anything in Spybot.

I go to 87.106.8.215 in my browser and get told this is a new server and I will be directed to the temporary server .... and nothing happens!

Back to 1.4 for me, at least it updates OK.

Would love a solution to the install problem!

tom1573
2008-02-04, 09:36
Uninstalled 1.5.1 before trying to install 1.5.2 then ran into
exactly same problem as jasontift and thomfam above.

Running XP-PRO-SP2 with IE7

tom1573
2008-02-04, 09:58
got it working had to turn off updating during install, and all other options (such as seperate secure shredder) then it didn't try to download/install anything from 87.106.8.215 which let it install perfectly.

That worked for me too. And, no problem getting updates afterward.

chi-va
2008-02-04, 14:10
Here is the explanation: During the installation you can choose that Spybot should automatically download updates from the default mirror 87.106.8.215. The problem is if too many users request downloads from the same mirror than this mirror cannot handle them all at the same time.

You can choose the download mirror yourself if you use the update feature in the main application. This could reduce the chance of an overloaded.

thomfam
2008-02-04, 22:23
Thanks Chi-va. That makes sense. However when I click on Update in the left hand side of the SpyBot program, a wizard opens and begins to Search for Downloads. There is no change to the rest of the SpyBot window and no option (like I used to get in 1.4) to select an alternative Mirror to download.

Am I missing something?

chi-va
2008-02-05, 00:08
Yes, it seems it doesn't work like it use to do. Do you have already installed Spybot-S&D 1.5.2 final? I cannot find the new tutorials for Spybot-S&D 1.5.2 on their homepage yet. So I'm afraid I cannot provide you links with screenshots because the update process is a little bit different from the way which you knows form Spybot-S&D 1.4. The new version has an external updater. With other words, after clicking on "Update" it will open a new updater window. If you continue the process it will first download a small update information file from one of the main mirrors. Then you have to choose a mirror before you can finally download the updates.

Do you have removed the old Spybot files before you have installed the new version? Maybe there is a conflict?

P.S.: I have found some screenshots of the new version:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd15/index.html

thomfam
2008-02-05, 00:51
Thanks for your reply. I have been using 1.4 for years and actually I have just uninstalled 1.52 and gone back again. I just hit on "update" in 1.4 and it updates everything.

I followed a link and got to the .ini file which 1.5.2 is trying to download. If I knew where to copy paste it I would have a go at that.

I have installed and then uninstalled 1.5.2 about 4 times now, I have done a full uninstall of 1.4 on one occasion and then updated to 1.5.2 and still the update problem remains.

I have sent an email to SpyBot about it.

When I browse to 87.106.8.215 I get:

"Our website is moving to new servers. Should you see this page, you have reached the new hardware which is not completely set up yet; you'll be redirected to the temporary website location in a few seconds, please excuse missing graphics ... "

Nothing happens after a few minutes let alone a few seconds!

chi-va
2008-02-05, 15:27
"Our website is moving to new servers..."

This could explain why you have problems with the updates. Maybe they need a little bit longer before it works like it use to do.

So what options are left? You can still use Spybot-S&D 1.5.2 with the manual detection updates. It is not the best solution but it should work:

Manual detection updates:
http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe

Download the package and execute it. Then it should automatically extract the detections in the correct folder.

thomfam
2008-02-05, 22:02
Thanks Chi-va. I did that, manual updates etc and got 1.5.2 to work. But if I want it all automated I will continue to use 1.4.

It is a problem nowadays, software manufacturers seem to release new programs before the have the support facilities to make new software fully usable by everyone.

I thought SpyBot would have been better than this, i.e. a fully professional organization. Quite surprising really that this problem should occur.

I will try to reinstall 1.5.2 in a few weeks again, meanwhile 1.4 has been doing everything I want it to do so I will continue to use it.

I will continue to wait for my email reply from SpyBot. It has already been a few days since I contacted them. I have also sent a PM to jasontift to let me know when his problem has been solved.

Peterj
2008-02-05, 22:19
Hi guys, hope you don't mind me putting this to you. As a new member I posted this and got a solution that may help you.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=23808
Cheers Pete

thomfam
2008-02-06, 02:03
Thanks PeterJ, any input is always welcome.

Tried your 'method' unsuccessfully.

I found this link in your thread from SpybotSandra:
"For more information on updating please have a look at this link on our website:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/update.html" took me to an 'old' view of updates.

I never get a page looking like this as Spybot 1.5.2 as it has its own separate Download Wizard.

Yet another uninstall of 1.5.2 and I will reinstall 1.4.

Thanks mate for your help.

thomfam
2008-02-11, 06:01
I found a copy of 1.5.1 today so I had a go at installing it. Fully removed Spybot 1.4, did a registry cleanup, a restart and then installed 1.5.1.

Exactly the same problem as with 1.5.2! It would not download any updates so it would not install.

I haven't received an email reply from Spybot on this problem either since sending it off some time ago.

Does anybody have any 'cure' for this problem?

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-11, 06:27
thomfam:

I suggest that you try skipping the updates during the installation and do them after the installation completes so that you are not subject to any connection problems during the installation:
Download the installation program spybotsd152.exe from one of the mirror sites listed here:
Mirror selection - The home of Spybot-S&D!
http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html
Execute spybotsd152.exe.
When you get to the "Select Components" screen during the installation, uncheck "Download updates immediately" (see attachment).
After the installation completes go into Spybot > Update to download updates.
Note: If you have a firewall the updates in Spybot 1.5 are done using SDUpdate.exe not SpybotSD.exe as in the past. Therefore SDUpdate.exe must be authorized to access the internet through your firewall.

thomfam
2008-02-12, 04:35
Thanks for your response md usa spybot fan. I saw your 'solution' in another thread. Yesterday I browsed all threads which talked about 'update' or install problems. (There seems to be quite a few of them!) I tried your suggestion unsuccessfully yesterday and it did not solve my problem.

Uninstalled 1.4, then ran a Reg Cleaner to get rid of any other 'leftovers', used your link to download 1.5.2, installed as per your instructions (the same as in your graphic) and got into the Firewall and selected update.exe. I am running Vista Home Premium and I would have thought I would have been asked via the Firewall had 1.5.2 asked to connect to the net.

Then went to update and was told there are no newer updates available. Obviously there are.

Back to 1.4 again, installed and updated perfectly within minutes.

Still looking for a solution (as many others are) or a new release!

Again I entered 87.106.8.215 in the browser and get the following page which continually reloads:

Servers moving...

Our website is moving to new servers. Should you see this page, you have reached the new hardware which is not completely set up yet; you'll be redirected to the temporary website location in a few seconds, please excuse missing graphics ...

Has anyone been able to solve this problem?

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-12, 05:35
thomfam:

... and got into the Firewall and selected update.exe. ...
It is SDUpdate.exe not "update.exe"!

If SDUpdate.exe is not authorized to access the internet you will get "No newer updates available".

thomfam
2008-02-13, 02:58
I got 1.5.2 to download by changing my Firewall. I had meant SDUpdate.exe in my post, my quick typing I am afraid!

I have been using Comodo Firewall but I turned it off in favour of the Windows Vista Firewall. Comodo was becoming a little too invasive for my liking.

Anyway, I fired Comodo up again, turned off Windows Firewall and as soon as I got into "Update" after installing 1.5.2, Comodo asked for permission to allow sdupdate.exe to connect to the internet and the rest was just plain sailing.

During the downloads I got one crook checksum but that will be sorted out when I next update.

All seems to be working fine.

Food for thought for others having problems, it is most likely a Firewall issue.

Thanks to md usa spybot fan for keeping me at it.