PDA

View Full Version : No Newer Updates to S&D

VaGuy
2006-02-11, 18:07
Hi - I just joined the forums today because I'm wondering why I can't update Spybot S&D. I go every few days to update S&D and Ad-Aware SE. No problem with the latter but I keep getting "No Newer Updates" when I try to update S&D. Is it just me? It seems like it's been many weeks - even a couple of months. I have 1.3 installed. Thanks for any enlightenment you can provide this new guy from Virginia.

By the way, many thanks to our German and Swedish friends who make these tools available to all of us.

VaGuy

computernitwit
2006-02-11, 18:13
VaGuy,

Hi, I joined today aswell, is there any reason why you haven't upgraded to 1.4, just out of interest

C

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-11, 19:10
VaGuy:

The update process starts with a download of a control file (spybotsd.ini) within SpybotSD.exe from either security.kolla.de (Spybot 1.3) or www.safer-networking.org (Spybot 1.4). This file contains a list of the update servers and the available updates. Once this file is downloaded and processed Spybot would either present a list of possible updates or indicate that no updates are available.

In Spybot 1.3 if that file cannot be downloaded, the update process will time out in 15 seconds and you will receive a "No newer updates available" message. When this happens, the "No server selected" button (between the "Check for Updates" and the "Download Updates" buttons) will not change to a server list because list of update servers is not available to the program.

There is another way to check if the spybotsd.ini is being downloaded or the download is timing out. Go into Spybot > Update (left pane) > click the "Show log" button (right pane) > then scroll to the bottom of the list. Are there any downloads shown for:
mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss xM Downloaded update info file. (http://security.kolla.de/updates/spybotsd.ini)
Is the spybotsd.ini file being downloaded?

tashi
2006-02-11, 19:20
Edit: Oops..... didnt see you md usa spybot fan.

VaGuy
2006-02-11, 19:46
Many thanks for the advice folks. I'm going to uninstall 1.3 and go get 1.4.

To C. in Chester, UK (coincidence - I live in Chester, VA!) I do wonder why my regular visits to S&D for updates didn't result in one saying "update to 1.4 now"??? I would have upgraded to 1.4 if I had been prompted to. BTW, I love Chester. I used to go to N. Wales on business quite often by rail from my home in London and usually stopped in Chester. Very beautiful town.

Thanks again to all of you for the advice.

Regards,
VaGuy:D

VaGuy
2006-02-11, 21:01
Hello Friends,

I went to download S&D 1.4 and noticed it said supports "the three main browsers, IE, Netscape, and Opera." I never uninstalled IE but my default browser is now Firefox because I've been told it's much less open to viruses and other attacks. Am I now unable to use S&D? That would be a shame. I wonder if there's a similar program that works with Firefox (Ad-aware seems to update and run normally with Firefox, but I liked having the two complementary anti-spyware systems - like wearing a belt and suspenders!)

Thanks again for any advice and guidance you may have.:scratch:

Regards,
VaGuy

VaGuy
2006-02-11, 21:06
Hello Friends,

I went to download S&D 1.4 and noticed it said supports "the three main browsers, IE, Netscape, and Opera." I never uninstalled IE but my default browser is now Firefox because I've been told it's much less open to viruses and other attacks. Am I now unable to use S&D? That would be a shame. I wonder if there's a similar program that works with Firefox (Ad-aware seems to update and run normally with Firefox, but I liked having the two complementary anti-spyware systems - like wearing a belt and suspenders!)

Thanks again for any advice and guidance you may have.

Regards,
VaGuy
VaGuy is online now Edit/Delete Message:scratch:

Zenobia
2006-02-11, 21:18
You can still use Spybot if you use Firefox.I use Firefox myself(my favorite browser.) :)
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/42.html

VaGuy
2006-02-11, 21:33
Zenobia,

Thanks for the reply. I'll go ahead and download S&D 1.4. I'm glad I get to keep Firefox - I've read so much scary stuff about IE. Nice lioness pic.

R,
VaGuy:o

Zenobia
2006-02-11, 22:18
You're welcome.
Thanks-it's a baby pic of the Zenobia lioness. :)

p.s.If you still have update problems after downloading 1.4,post back,so md usa sf can help you.