PDA

View Full Version : Version 1.5.2 fails to load

Jonssen
2008-02-07, 10:54
Unfortunately Version 1.5.2 fails to load. I received Version 1.5.2 as part of an auto-update when I checked for updates to my original Version 1.4 today. The update and install appeared to effect normally, but the new version 1.5.2 causes an error message on attempting to run:-

Application error
X Exception EAccessViolation in module SPYBOTSD.EXE at 002E609B
Acces violation at address 006E609B in module 'SPYBOTSD.EXE'. Read of address FFFFFFFF.

I'm running W98 with all critical updates and IE6.0.2800.1106.

I've tried uninstalling V 1.5.2 as well as V 1.4, and making a clean basic install of V 1.5.2, but it results in the same fault. I've now removed V 1.5.2 and re-installed V 1.4, updated it (all bar the new version update, obviously) and V 1.4 is now back apparently operating normally.

I've not tried "immunisation" and don't usually use "tea-timer" anyway, as it stands at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

groucho
2008-02-07, 15:26
I had the same thing occur yesterday when the updates FORCED a user to get the new version.

Just not the same error message.

Isn't the other phrase for this: Drive By downloads?

I suspected it was Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0.0.125, but I paused it without installing the newer version.

Kinda Glad too!

I am NOT a (crash test dummy): aka Beta Tester type.

Is the latest version worth having, please?
Or is it too early to ask that?

I HATE --> :oops:

groucho

spybotsandra
2008-02-07, 16:04
Hello,

There were some things that needed to be improved: the immunization sometimes needed to be applied twice before sticking, many users wanted the file shredder back, and it was impossible to remove entries from the user blacklist in the Internet Explorer plugin. But first of all, we apologize for the long starting time of Spybot-S&D 1.5.1 to all users. This item has been fixed now in this new version 1.5.2.

So i suggest to upgrade.
You can also try it manually.
You will find links to several download locations on our website:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Jonssen
2008-02-09, 14:18
Well, first of all thanks to groucho for hijacking my thread :-( Rather rude that, I thought.

Thanks to Sandra for posting a reply, but unfortunately not to my original posting, so I'm no further forward. The point is, obviously, now that version 1.5.2 is an auto-update, by implication version 1.4 will become obsolete and unsupported. Not much good if version 1.5.2 won't load and run, of course.

Having tried it several times, each time with the same result and error message, it's pretty obvious to me that it's not going to load as this current version (1.5.2), at least for the time being.

Would Sandra care to comment?

Thanks.

Jonssen
2008-02-14, 20:59
Oh well, no one seems to want to reply to this... Where's the "boo-hoo" Smilie? Oh well, that'll do... :sad:

Could it be a google toolbar conflict - I see someone else mentioned that in another thread?

spybotsandra
2008-02-14, 21:08
Hello,

Did you already tried to uninstall your version and make a fresh download from Spybot's homepage?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

kidd_freeper
2008-02-14, 23:02
I have the EXACT same problem as Jonssen

I also have Windows 98 (first edition) and got the exact same error message (identical).

One difference is that I previously had version 1.5 installed (and it worked, although slowly). When I updated, version 1.5.2 was installed. Version 1.5.2 will not work...when I try to start Spybot S&D, I get the same error.

Yes, I've tried a clean install...removed 1.5.2, removed all the files from the directory and even ran the small registry clean-up file. It didn't make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

In the mean time, is there a location where I can download version 1.5.1 to see if that works?

honda12
2008-02-14, 23:13
hi kidd_freeper,

here is a site that allows you to download previous versions: filehippo (http://filehippo.com/download_spybot_search_destroy/)

kidd_freeper
2008-02-15, 21:31
Thanks Honda

Version 1.5.1.15 did not run after loading either. Same error.

I could not find version 1.5.0. I'm going back to version 1.4 for now

One thing...I noticed when I loaded 1.5.2 onto my machine with WindowsXP, that it needed a restart to complete the installation. Versions 1.5.2 and 1.5.1.15 did not ask for a restart after installation with the Windows98 machine. (Version 1.5.2 works fine with the WindowsXP computer)

Jonssen
2008-02-17, 01:00
Hello,

Did you already tried to uninstall your version and make a fresh download from Spybot's homepage?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Hello Sandra,

Yes, indeed I did (as I said in my first posting...) ;)

Kind regs, Bob.

SoulSeekerHS
2008-02-19, 12:31
So its not only me heh

I have the same problem.
On a PC running Win98 SE with all updates, I updated version 1.4 to version 1.52.
When starting version 1.52 it only loads to the second bar of the startup-screen.
Only diffrence: I dont get an error msg, it just freezes my entire system!!

I uninstalled 1.52, deleted all remains and did a fresh install, same result.

Will now roll back to v.1.4 till this is fixed...

If I can assist in anyway (providing specific info etc.) let me know.

fremen
2008-02-19, 12:49
Hi for all,
i have the same problem ...
windows 98 not load ver. 1.52

I hope you resolve this bug.

Yodama
2008-02-19, 14:51
hello,

I cannot provide a solution as of yet but it appears that the issue is related to the memory management with Windows 98.

If you have not done so please try to set the virtual memory to a fixed value. It is usually recommended to assign at least 2,5 times the value of physical memory available.
For instance if you have 128MB RAM , you should assign at least 320MB for the virtual memory.
On the Windows 98SE Testcomputer (128MB Ram , K6@400MHz), I assigned 512 MB for virtual Memory.
This setting appeared to increase stability.

Please let me know if this works for you.

fremen
2008-02-20, 09:54
Yodama thank you for your answer,
I did as I have suggested, but the problem is always the same:
Excepition EAccessViolation in module SPYBOTSD.EXE at 002E609B.
Access Violation at address 006E609B in module "SPYBOTSD.EXE".
Read of address FFFFFFFF
I configured the operating system so:
S.O. Windows 98
Memory installed 320MB
Virtual Memory Minimum 320 MB
Virtual Memory Minimum 640 MB

Thanks in advance for your help

serglass
2008-04-14, 17:38
Unfortunately Version 1.5.2 fails to load. I received Version 1.5.2 as part of an auto-update when I checked for updates to my original Version 1.4 today. The update and install appeared to effect normally, but the new version 1.5.2 causes an error message on attempting to run:-

Application error
X Exception EAccessViolation in module SPYBOTSD.EXE at 002E609B
Acces violation at address 006E609B in module 'SPYBOTSD.EXE'. Read of address FFFFFFFF.

I'm running W98 with all critical updates and IE6.0.2800.1106.

I've tried uninstalling V 1.5.2 as well as V 1.4, and making a clean basic install of V 1.5.2, but it results in the same fault. I've now removed V 1.5.2 and re-installed V 1.4, updated it (all bar the new version update, obviously) and V 1.4 is now back apparently operating normally.

I've not tried "immunisation" and don't usually use "tea-timer" anyway, as it stands at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hey folks:
I have the same issue and realize that if I first load drwatson the spybot do not crash, jejejeje !!!

I don't know why is that, because I have 6 pc running similar configuration and in 3 of them i have no problem, but in the others the spybot crash.

Goodluck