PDA

View Full Version : compatibility problem wtih BitDefender 2008

cmackinn
2008-02-07, 13:54
I have a compatibility issue. My BitDefender Antivirus 2008 was disabled by the latest version of SpyBot. Installing SpyBot 1.5.2 on 6 February 08 caused BitDefender's anti-virus monitor to switch off and not respond to commands to turn back on. I had to uninstall SpyBot 1.5.2 and do a system restore before my BitDefender 2008 would work. Operating system is Windows XP.

Anybody else have this problem? Solutions?

TRDaggett
2008-02-08, 13:09
Hello, I'm in the forums looking for others with issues after the upgrade to the latest version of Spybot S&D.

I've been running Spybot for years and when I upgraded it yesterday (using the internal check for updates) everything was fine, and then I started having problems getting to web pages in Firefox, then my AVG Firewall shut off, then I lost all connectivity (to [both] PCs behind my router). I also had IE(7) open and it started opening up new windows and wouldn't stop. Every time I closed one, a few seconds later another would open.

I ended up doing a system restore, then scanned with AVG, and after that with SUPERAntiSpyware. I also checked things out with Process Explorer, Rootkit Revealer, Helios Lite, StartupRun, and HJT. The AV scans only found legit admin tools (damn false-positives!), and the rootkit scans showed nothing abnormal.

[This] PC is running XP MCE, and the other is running XP Home SP2. All updates are current.

Everything is back to normal now, but I still don't know exactly what the problem was. I've uninstalled Spybot until I find out the cause.

I was about to start a new thread, but I saw yours and decided to start here and see if they're any similarities.
I think [my] issue might be some kind of conflict with the AVG 7.5 Internet Security Firewall.

Anyway, I'll have to start my own thread now, but I'll be watching this one to see what you discover. Good luck.