PDA

View Full Version : Where is the .exe file??

xerxes
2008-02-08, 00:46
I have just installed version 1.5.2.20. The shortcut points to "C:\Program Files\Spybot 1.5.2\SpybotSD.exe" but this file does not exist! However the program runs fine when I click the shortcut!! I can't find a file called SpybotSD.exe anywhere on the system. Puzzled! :scratch:

Zenobia
2008-02-08, 02:02
SpybotSD.exe is now a hidden file,so you will not see it unless you have hidden files and folders showing on your version of windows.

xerxes
2008-02-08, 22:19
SpybotSD.exe is now a hidden file,so you will not see it unless you have hidden files and folders showing on your version of windows.

I thought of this subsequently, but in fact the folder was already set to show hidden files. However, when I unchecked 'Hide protected Operating System files', it appeared.

A bit of a stretch, describing it as an Operating System file???! Anyway, mystery solved.

grahamrice
2008-02-08, 23:32
I had the same problem, spent ages on a frustrating search for SpybotSD.exe in order to create a new shortcut. :hair:

There is no logic to make it a hidden file and certainly not a 'Protected Operating System file'.
Similar situation for TeaTimer.exe

Zenobia
2008-02-08, 23:56
If you uncheck 'Hide protected Operating System files' to make spybotSD.exe visible,just keep in mind that this also unhides other protected Operating System files,so if you have any users on your computer that may possibly delete these files if they aren't sure what they are,you might want to consider rechecking 'Hide protected Operating System files'.

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-09, 00:30
grahamrice:

There is no logic to make it a hidden file and certainly not a 'Protected Operating System file'.
Recently there has been malware deleting SpybotSD.exe (not to mention other legitimate anti-malware and anti-virus programs attempting to uninstall Spybot itself). I assume that the "logic" in giving SpybotSD.exe a "Protected Operating System file" attribute is an attempt to prevent that.