PDA

View Full Version : Updater failure

Corday
2008-02-08, 22:10
Try to use Update feature in 1.5.2. Worked fine in 1.4. Shows message saying sdupdater closing then after 3 seconds Error message. Computer freezes. Three finger salute doesn't end program. Need to reboot. Reinstalled .exe 3 times + new download.. Tried no proxy + proxy possibilities. Same results. Using AOL dialup.

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-08, 22:36
Reinstalled .exe 3 times + new download..
Reinstalled what ".exe 3 times"? Plus what "new download"?

Corday
2008-02-08, 22:52
Reinstalled what ".exe 3 times"? Plus what "new download"?
Spybot.exe. Redownloaded entire program from 3 different sources.

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-08, 22:53
Spybot.exe ???

Corday
2008-02-08, 23:00
Spybot.exe ???
It's the entire 1.5.2 program.

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-08, 23:38
Corday:

Since you are on dialup, I suggest that you skip doing the updates during the installation and do them after the installation completes so that you are not subject to transmission problems during the installation:
Download the installation program spybotsd152.exe from one of the mirror sites listed here:
Mirror selection - The home of Spybot-S&D!
http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html
Execute spybotsd152.exe.
When you get to the "Select Components" screen during the installation, uncheck "Download updates immediately" (see attachment).
After the installation completes go into Spybot > Update to download updates.
Note: If you have a firewall the updates in Spybot 1.5 are done using SDUpdate.exe not SpybotSD.exe as in the past. Therefore SDUpdate.exe must be authorized to access the internet through your firewall.

Corday
2008-02-09, 20:24
Corday:

Since you are on dialup, I suggest that you skip doing the updates during the installation and do them after the installation completes so that you are not subject to transmission problems during the installation:
Download the installation program spybotsd152.exe from one of the mirror sites listed here:
Mirror selection - The home of Spybot-S&D!
http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html
Execute spybotsd152.exe.
When you get to the "Select Components" screen during the installation, uncheck "Download updates immediately" (see attachment).
After the installation completes go into Spybot > Update to download updates.
Note: If you have a firewall the updates in Spybot 1.5 are done using SDUpdate.exe not SpybotSD.exe as in the past. Therefore SDUpdate.exe must be authorized to access the internet through your firewall.
Thanks! All OK

iwebster
2008-02-11, 05:49
Before I read your message board, I had tried the steps you've recommended to Corday.

It doesn't matter... at least on an old machine with Win98.

Spybot 152 install works fine... but, when I hit the manual update... the system resources go to ZERO... even if I unload most all background progs (running only my AV & firewall).

Thus,
before Spybot 152, system free resources = 65%
after Spybot 152, system free resources = 15%
when Spybot 152 update runs, system free resources = 0%

System of course freezes and must do a cold boot.

P.S. Got plenty big progs (such as Photoshop 7) that aren't near as memory hungry as Spybot 152.

Been using Spybot v1.4 for years... no problem, I regret I let you guys upgrade before I realize you've honked up my Spybot prog. (or at least I can't update it anymore).

Corday
2008-02-11, 15:49
Before I read your message board, I had tried the steps you've recommended to Corday.

It doesn't matter... at least on an old machine with Win98.

Spybot 152 install works fine... but, when I hit the manual update... the system resources go to ZERO... even if I unload most all background progs (running only my AV & firewall).

Thus,
before Spybot 152, system free resources = 65%
after Spybot 152, system free resources = 15%
when Spybot 152 update runs, system free resources = 0%

System of course freezes and must do a cold boot.

P.S. Got plenty big progs (such as Photoshop 7) that aren't near as memory hungry as Spybot 152.

Been using Spybot v1.4 for years... no problem, I regret I let you guys upgrade before I realize you've honked up my Spybot prog. (or at least I can't update it anymore).

I got around the problem by using the updater from the start menu rather than the interface one on SpybotSD. Probably some remnant of 1.4 remains screwing things up. Using Windows ME (mediocore edition).

iwebster
2008-02-14, 05:59
Corday,

Thanks for your feedback.
Your right !!

I ran the updater from the start menu, and it works!

Spybot 1.52 is now fully functional.

The programmers still need to improve their product, so that users don't have to do trial & error to make the features work. Hopefully, the programmers read these forums.

Thanks again,
iwebster

MadelineC
2008-02-14, 08:20
Just for the record, I'm on dial-up and installed Spybot 1.5.2 while connected to the Internet, but with no browser running. I didn't disable my security programs and I was able to install the program successfully, including the update. I also checked for updates and got some after installation. Maybe I was just lucky!
The program works very well too.

Augmentor
2008-05-12, 05:45
I had the exact same problem. and tried reinstalling 1.5.2 twice. After a half day of pounding away at it on my own, I found this thread by way of Google. I was able to finish the updating by way of the START menu, just as described.

I'd like to add that in order for that method to work at all, you have to shut off Spybot or you get the exact same error. Once you've done that, everything goes smoothly.

Augmentor