PDA

View Full Version : IE home page doesn't work anymore

Snarski
2006-02-12, 16:35
:scratch:
Which recovery option will allow me to use Internet Explorer's default home web page settings again?

After running SD IE no longer recognizes my home page, or any home page set by IE. It keeps going to the windows update site.

Spybot - Search and Destroy 1.4.
Version 2006 02 03
Updated to 2/10 searches

Thank you.

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-13, 20:14
The only thing that I am aware of in Spybot that might prevent you from setting your home page is a special "Advanced Mode" feature that helps prevent the changing of your home page by malware.

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > IE Tweaks.

There are three "Miscellaneous locks" on Spybot's IE tweaks page:
Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers
Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user)
Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE (current user)
If the " Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user)" is checked, uncheck it and see if you can change your home page.

In addition TeaTimer monitors registry changes which include Internet Explorer "Start Page" changes. If you have TeaTimer activated you must use the "Allow change" option when answering the pop-up dialog which would accompany a change to the Internet Explorer "Start Page".

You actually asked about a "recovery option". If the above information does not help and you feel the problem originated from a "Fix selected problems" that you did after a scan, please provide the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm log from when the problem started.

By default here are two Checks.yymmdd-hhmm logs produced during a scan. The second Checks.yymmdd-hhmm has the details of what the scan found. A Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm log is produced if you fix or attempt to fix something.

To post the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm log from the scan/fix there are two methods:
Method 1:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Pervious reports. Look for the last Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm file from the scan/fix before you had the problem. Open it. Right click > Select all. Right click > Copy. Paste to the post.
Method 2
The Checks.yymmdd-hhmm and Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm files are stored in the following folders:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the correct Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm file. Double click on it and it should open with Notepad. Copy and paste into the post.