PDA

View Full Version : PremiumSearch

Jimothy
2008-02-09, 15:15
I was told to repost my thread from the malware forum to this forum, so here goes:

I appreciate any advice i can get on this matter.

I updated my spybot today to the newest version and did a search. The expected handful of tracking cookies came up, as well as something new, labelled "PremiumSearch".

It was a .gif file, located in the temp folder entitled simply "t". I looked at the date it was created and was 2005, though im sure there must be ways of faking that.

Anyway, i did some research. Found out it changes the host files so checked those and none of the search engines are being redirected, which seemes to be the primary point of this particular spyware. No new toolbars either. My computer hasn't been giving me any problems i.e. no suspicious behaviour. I don't run p2p software, i keep everything updated.

Anyway, spybot deleted the image no problem. I'm just wondering whether this was a false positive or if i'm in danger and the spyware is very well hidden.

Thanks,

Jimothy

tashi
2008-02-09, 17:20
Hi there.

Anyway, spybot deleted the image no problem. I'm just wondering whether this was a false positive or if i'm in danger and the spyware is very well hidden.

The instructions to report possible False Positives (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=16) by producing a log of items detected.

But as it was fixed and the computer is running normally, I doubt there is anything to be concerned about. :)

Cheers.