PDA

View Full Version : Updated and find two S&D's in Add-Remove

urrguru
2008-02-10, 05:06
Didn't find Stickeys or FAQ's addressing what default updating of S&D is supposed to display in Windows Add-Remove Progs list.

Should SpyBot S&D users have two listings for it in Add-Remove Progs list?

Mine lists 'S&D' twice, one denoted as version 1.5.2 and the other as 1.5.2.20.

Oddly, 1.5.2's listing is denoted as last having been used 2/10/08 while 1.5.2.20 denotes last used as 3-28-07.

Did something go ary in my updating it or does everyone else find the same near duplicated 'A-R Progs' entries?

As to why the AR Progs list is indicating I haven't used the atest (just updated) version, I must assume its just another bug in A-R Progs list.

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-10, 05:57
I uninstalled my previous version of Spybot before upgrading, therefore I only have one entry. That entry is Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2.

You could try just deleting the extra Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2.20 entry by going into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > Uninstall Info > selecting it and then deleting it.

MadelineC
2008-02-10, 08:34
I had 2 entries for Spybot in Add or Remove Programs, 1 was for v1.4, the other had no version number. I removed both of them, reinstalled v1.5.2.20. Add or Remove Programs now has only one entry for Spybot with no version number. I guess it didn't matter, but it looks tidier now!

PepiMK
2008-02-11, 11:32
Two entries in uninstall are unavoidable when updating from 1.4, since 1.5 was designed to no longer have this problem when updating in the future, so the identification has changed.

Up to version 1.4, Spybot-S&D was identified through it's name, so the uninstall entry was internally named Spybot - Search & Destroy_is1 (found in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\).
Beginning with 1.5, we started using the imho better GUID scheme, so the new uninstall entry is named {B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A88D31DE6}_is1. The installer engine (InnoSetup) now cannot recognize previous installations, since it is looking for them through this name/GUID. But using the GUID has the advantage that we can display the version number in future versions, since changes would no longer cause this havoc (caused by identifying through name, which could not include version numbers therefore).

geemarie
2008-02-11, 17:01
I upgraded Spybot S&D to 1.5.2.20 yesterday. This morning I noticed two icons for Spybot on my desktop so I went into "add/remove programs" , saw two installs. One was 1.5.2 and the other was 1.5.2.20. Assuming 1.5.2 was the older (both had been accessed today), I removed 1.5.2. During removal, I was asked if I wanted to allow or deny a registry change. I assumed this was removing something associated with the old version in the registry so I clicked on allow. My computer then shut down as if it was rebooting and will not reboot. It comes up with a "Stop Error" and will not boot up. I am writing this from another computer/another location. Help!!! please.

kbz1960
2008-02-11, 17:25
Have you tried booting into safe mode and then removing the other entry for spybot?

To get into safe mode tap the F8 key while the computer is starting.

urrguru
2008-06-02, 23:57
Hmm, seems my initial post didn't e-mail me of replies. 'Issue' still unsolved.

Basically looking for what others are finding in A-R for SB', same update scenario would be ideal for replies (see below).

Maybe jake, maybe fouled up, but 2 list.

Checked stickeys, faq's w/o anythng on this.

Add-Rem's 1st SB' (1.5.2 40MB) lists as last used.

The other SB' (1.5.2.0 16MB) lists last used a year ago.

Kinda surprizing as I try to always download progs 1st, scan for V's, then install, plus I'm aware of prog's usually not disclosing if they install overthetop and such resultng issues, but this one seems to have gotten by me as strangely the only SB' ini I have stored s 1.40's (which my records indicate I did uninstall that version).

urrguru
2008-06-10, 04:39
Hi everybody,

Say, I see no search hits on the forum addressing issues like unknowingly installing over-the-top SB-S&D versions which are easily done as no installers yet prompt users otherwise.

In that after installing more than one SB-S&D is thereafter can be highly difficult or even impossible to properly unistall them w/o maybe wrecking our operating systems, so perhaps maybe this post will lead to a clearly titled stickey for the benefit of SB-S&D users (eg; 'Uninstall older SB-S&D versions first')?

Uninstall before installing tips -

Note that 'upgrading' can well be a misleading term as it's commonly misused by software hawkers and users alike.

Since upgrading and reinstalling aren't always made clear, software designers who properly finish their products always provide the software with a last second opt out at the installation step, that by providing either a precautionary or prohibitive prompt where users attempt to improperly install over-the-top.

In doubly installing software, especially such that can be so potentially irreversibly damaging to a computer's registry, I find it a bit reprehensible that not only SB-S&D's designers have failed, but also the forum moderators might accept some responsibility for not yet having taken the initiative to have posted a clearly titled forum sticky and to have provided it the importance it desrves by placing it first in the list stickeys).

But here's what I did to, as best as I could, determine was most prudent to do. All I can say is that it worked for me and if others also do what I did, I don't guaranty it work out for too, but it did for me.

My paragraphs (below) are simplifying what I did as much as possible, but may not chronologically include the precautions I took before and while performing those 'simple' things.

So I suggest before 'doing the deed', first read. Also I recommend doing your own double-checking in case things have changed with SB-S&D or I've maybe overlooked any mistake(s).

Consider whether or not you run EHD's as program slaves (programs installed and run on/off EHD's and wheteher or not you include SB-S&D scans for any EHD, as if SB-S&D changed things on them, only things needing connected to the computer during these steps, needs connected.

If you use it, set a system restore point for all drives you're going to be using.

Also make a complete registry backup and do not store your reg' backups in a SpyBot folders, even though they 'may not' be deleted or overwritten during
uninstalls/reinstalls.

Open SB, where/if enabled, disable TeaTimer and SDHelper (any disable order will do), un-do immunization. Assumedly only one 'un-do' is good for all immunizations previously applied. I used the 'check again' and I 'un-did' again anyway.

Run another reg backup.

Backup all SB-S&D program files, look for them everywhere, hidden and protected folders too. That's painstaking and likely not needed, but be safe and give yourself the best chances of getting the uninstalled version back as close as possible as like it was before the uninstall if you find issues with the uninstall.

Run you most current version's uninstaller, re-boot (twice each time checking your system), go to add-remove programs list and then click that versions 'remove', it'll prompt it could't do that, but it then still removes the version's entry from the A-R list.

At your option, run ccleaner and/or another trusted registry cleaner, re-boot and then proceed with use of the next most current SB-S&D version's uninstaller.

Note that after uninstalling each most current SB-S&D, follow the same regiment of uninstall steps, including a complete registry backup before proceeding with the next most current SB-S&D uninstall.

Again after each version's uninstall and repeated re-booting and system checks, once again run a complete reg' backup, then I ran RegistryBooster before uninstalling the next most current SB-S&D.

After all SB-S&D's are uninstalled, their entries are removed from Add- Remove Prgos list, and you delete all other instances of SB-S&D folders, run a final reg' backup, set of re-boots and systems checks, tun a registry fixer if you choose, only then download a fresh SB-S&D executable.

Now that the system's verified as running properly, I'll save all backups until SB-S&D is reinstalled and there are indications things are running right (before deleting all those backup files).

I chose to clear the browser cache, temp files, run disk cleanup, and then I unticked my system restore and cleared it too of any possible malware.

Also in that I posted here with some other notes and they've strangely been removed from the forum, here's what came of posting requests for SB-S&D's current installer file's download file (previous total lack of disclosure for SB-S&D's file integrity and validity details):

After nearly a week of waiting and several e-mails, only after I quaetioned SB-S&D's laxness for security in their offering SB-S&D products w/o disclosing file validity and/or integrity details, I just received a SB-S&D e-mail back (disclosing the security details as follows).

I also see now their website at least lists an md5 for all their products, tools and updates. Maybe they're going to also begin disclosing file sizes so users also know the files are being completely downloaded and are not otherwise indicated as corrupted.

"spybotsd152.exe, md5: CC91B89CE4EBA400BAED4F626487D579, file size is 9,3 MB (9722720 Bytes)"

My display details for the 'exe is...
file size is as 9.27 MB (9722720 Bytes)
file version 1.5.2.0, yet the properties
'other version info' lists it as 1.5.2

Best regards and hep-e-trails to all,

urrguru

drragostea
2008-06-10, 04:49
urrguru, basically you're just posting the same exact info. you made in another post:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=29128

urrguru
2008-06-10, 04:58
Thank you for that, I thought it odd I didn't find my post there.

All I can say is that this post here, didn't get the attention or resolution, seemed it was becoming buried, so I posted the other post.

Again, I didn't intentionaly post here my last post.

Apologies to all.