PDA

View Full Version : Comodo BOClean any good or same?

Iminfected
2008-02-10, 05:31
Does anyone know anything about this program? Does this do the same thing as Spywareguard, Spywareblaster? Is this program worth useing in addition to these others? I do currently use it in conjunction with all the others that these forums reccomend. I use it, but I don't exactly know what it does.

honda12
2008-02-11, 15:11
BOclean, basically (to my understanding) checks your system at regular intervals. If it detects any 'malicous' changes to it (using it's database), BOclean will alert you.

I personally think that BOclean doesn't do that much for anyone. You say you are running spywareblaster and spyware guard - I would say that is probably enough protection. People shouldn't run more than 1 'real-time' protection program, as running more than 1 could:
- Slow down your system
- The programs could interfere with eachother
- That much protection is a bit overkill for the average user

hope that helps :)

Honda :cowboy:

honda12
2008-02-11, 15:20
Spyware guard also runs in a similar way to BOclean. But I would be more cautious about using spyware guard as it hasn't been updated in years

Spywareblaster is more prevention (like spybot's immunize function)

tashi
2008-02-11, 18:16
I used to run BOClean for testing purposes before it was sold to Comodo.

The original owner/dev was still involved in the program as a developer after the sale.

I have not used the program in over a year, however the original application was a Trojan hunter.

Iminfected
2008-02-12, 06:21
Thanks guys! Now I know, and knowing is half the battle! I've been useing it for a bit now. I haven't had any experiences with it good or bad as of yet.

Rednose
2008-02-13, 22:56
Hi Iminfected :)

What BOClean does was explained very well by Ewen, one of the Moderators of the Comodo Forum :

Where your typical AV examines a file when it is accessed, BOClean waits until the file components have been executed.

The critical difference is that a piece of malware could be packed/compressed/encrypted with a new packer/compressor/encryptor so, to a signature based scanner, it did not conform to any known signature. BOClean monitors all executions up to the point of where they go "active". At this point, it is then looking at the executable code, rather than the pretty box it came in, so to speak.

In the past, this has been referred to as the "clothed lady - naked lady" approach.

I couldn't say it better :bigthumb:

Greetz, Red.