PDA

View Full Version : Can't run any executables

mcslain
2008-02-10, 20:25
Last week I received a virus in MS Messenger. My IT group said it was wkssvc.exe and removed it with some trojan killer that I ran. I thought everything was OK and later ran SpyBot. It found a few cookies it advised me to remove but nothing major. Then I started getting these messages from Spybot about registry changes that sounded sketchy. Stuff like "BAT Extension Handler "%1" %*" and a bunch of Winlogon Notifier changes for files like wlballon, termsrv, atiextevent and ifxwixen to name a few. I have been denying these changes. Now all of a sudden none of my programs will run. If I doubler click an icon on my desktop I get the error that 'This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.' I tried to do this and EXE isnt even in the file associations list, but when I try to add it Windows tells me it already exists. Very strange... and I have yet to go ahead and make the change in file type associations. Any idea what has happened here? Do I still have a virus or did my refusal to allow reg changes cause this maybe? I need help on a next step.

Thanks.
-mcslain

2008-02-11, 02:30
is right click teatimer and click settings. click the denied options tab, then click all the X's next to the denied options that are in the list, then click ok. Reboot, and do full scans with your antiviruis and spybot and any other antispyware programs in safe mode, and remove anything that is found. Hope that helps!

mcslain
2008-02-11, 14:01
I should have mentioned that I tried that before. The Black & White list only shows one blocked reg listing and it is just to stop Quicktime from getting added to autorun every time I upgrade iTunes. So for whatever reason there is nothing there to block. Probably of note, these decisions I had made on allowing or denying the reg entries like bat extesnion handler didnt say what application was requesting them. Which also led to my thinkng they should be blocked.

mcslain
2008-02-11, 16:40
ok... what i did was shut off the teatimer. then i could run a reg script that was said to restore the exe registry items to the defaults. with the teattimer running, the script changes to the reg were blocked. anyhow, this worked... although i was scared to death to run it. so far so good. now i have to figure out if other extensions like bat will run properly... and whatever else might have gone wrong in my denials to the registry. thanks!

2008-02-11, 17:45
glad to try to help any way i can :)