PDA

View Full Version : System crashes with stop error

marshach
2008-02-11, 01:59
My system consistently crashes with a "stop error" when I try to run Spybot (version 1.5.2.20). In the "Crashing or Shut Down" thread (now closed - I do not understand why) someone suggested that CPU overheating could cause the problem. I understand CPU overheating is possible, but in my case I do not think CPU overheating is the cause. I installed a freeware program called Motherboard Monitor and I watched the CPU temp as Spybot was running. The CPU started at 125 F (about 52 C) and was at 131 F (55 C) when my computer crashed. I do not think 131 F is high enough to cause my PC shut down. I used WinDbg to look at the mini crash dump files. The problem is that each analysis shows a different culprit. In one case it was fltMgr.sys. Another time it was ntoskrnl.exe. Another time it showed "Probably caused by : memory_corruption". Other than shutting down while running Spybot, I have no other problems with my computer.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem? If there is an another open thread for this problem, please let me know.

2008-02-11, 03:10
the only time you get a stop error or have any prob is when u run spybot? What spybot version are you using? What operating system are you using? (EX. XP, Vista?) Are you using the latest version? The only solution that i can offer, seeing as I'm not a spybot team member, is to completely uninstall spybot and download the newest version on there home page. Hope that helps....

marshach
2008-02-12, 00:52
Thanks for the reply, but this has become a real hassle :scratch:. As I wrote, I am (was) attempting to use version 1.5.2.20. I am running Windows XP with all the latest updates. I uninstalled and re-installed as you suggested. It still crashed my PC. I uninstalled Norton Anti-virus to see if maybe a conflict was causing the crash. Spybot still crashed my PC. I should note that Ad-Aware also crashed my PC. The scan ran through to completion, but then the PC crashed. After all this, I tried to re-install Norton Anti-virus (AT&T/Yahoo is my ISP. Norton Anti-Virus software is included with the service.) AT&T/Yahoo would not let me install the Norton Anti-Virus until I first uninstalled Zone Alarm and Spybot, which sucks. I've used both Zone Alarm and Spybot for years without any problems, but I can't run my PC without Anti-virus, so I uninstalled both ZA and Spybot so I could re-install the Norton Anti-virus. Anyway, I guess the next step is to try a "burn-in" program to see if there is a defect in my RAM.

2008-02-12, 03:08
i know, i know, but sometimes the latest updates for your operating system can help a system with stop errors and the like. Could you write down and post exactly what the error message says? that would help a team member when they see this thread.

marshach
2008-02-12, 03:53
I have all the latest Windows Updates. There are no current high priority updates available. You suggested that I write down the stop error. The BSOD stop error message itself is fairly useless as it only specifies memory addresses. The only thing that might be useful to a Spybot team member is one of the mini crash dumps, but it is a lot of data. I can send or post it if they are interested.

As a final note, I used a freeware Microsoft utility called Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic to check my PC's memory. The PC passed all six tests.