PDA

View Full Version : Problem with IE7 and SpyBot plugin

SBS&Duser
2008-02-11, 02:04
In Internet Explorer 7, whenever I go to a link on www.imdb.com The Internet Movie Database, the SpyBot bad URL blocker pops up and identifies Advertising.com as the culprit.

I can Allow or Deny and still see the page I want, but the choice is not remembered. I have to do it each time (usually 3 times for each page).

Stats are recorded, but in Spyot S&D Configuration (on the IE Tools menu), Allowed & Denied tab, no entries are recorded - it remains completely blank regardless of whether I Allow or Deny anything. I would imagine items I allow or deny should appear there.

Is this a bug, or am I not doing something right?

TIA

2008-02-11, 02:40
if you don't want to see these messages, right click teatimer and click resident ie then click block all bad pages silently. Also, the reason its not listed there is it sounds like your confusing it with the list which is in teatimer under settings. I don't believe that the allow and deny option in the url blocker is recorded. i could be wrong though.

SBS&Duser
2008-02-11, 04:09
if you don't want to see these messages, right click teatimer and click resident ie then click block all bad pages silently.

Thanks, that did the trick. I was afraid that if I chose that option it would block me from desired sites, but it apparently doesn't.

Also, the reason its not listed there is it sounds like your confusing it with the list which is in teatimer under settings. I don't believe that the allow and deny option in the url blocker is recorded. i could be wrong though.

The very fact that there is a table with "URL" "Status" "Scope" headings in the Allowed and Denied tab suggests to me that corresponding entries should be recorded there, otherwise what is the table for?

2008-02-11, 04:11
the table that i see records numbers of items allowed and denied, is that what u meant? If so idk why its not bein recorded. A spybot team member would prob. be able to help you there more then I could.

2008-02-11, 04:13
clicking block all bad pages silently does block "bad" pages, such as known pages to put spyware or viruises on your computer, it also blocks bad cookies and such, such as tracking cookies i believe.

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-11, 05:54
SBS&Duser:

Stats are recorded, but in Spyot S&D Configuration (on the IE Tools menu), Allowed & Denied tab, no entries are recorded - it remains completely blank regardless of whether I Allow or Deny anything. I would imagine items I allow or deny should appear there.

The very fact that there is a table with "URL" "Status" "Scope" headings in the Allowed and Denied tab suggests to me that corresponding entries should be recorded there, otherwise what is the table for?
The "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" "Allowed & Denied" tab only show those items that were handled when you "Ask for blocking confirmation" and select "Always react this way" when you "Allow" or "Deny" the access. In other words it will only those items where you instructed SDHelper to "Allow" or "Deny" automatically in the future while in "Ask for blocking confirmation" mode.

The actual log of items blocked by Spybot's SDHelper is kept in the "SDHelper.log". There a couple of ways to access the "SDHelper.log":
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Select the "SDHelper.log" file and open it.
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the SDHelper.log file located in one of the following directories:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows Vista:
C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Double click on SDHelper.log file and it should open with Notepad.

SBS&Duser
2008-02-11, 07:17
SBS&Duser:

The "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" "Allowed & Denied" tab only show those items that were handled when you "Ask for blocking confirmation" and select "Always react this way" when you "Allow" or "Deny" the access. In other words it will only those items where you instructed SDHelper to "Allow" or "Deny" automatically in the future while in "Ask for blocking confirmation" mode.

Actually that's exactly what I was doing, but no "Always react this way" checkbox was visible (in IE7, WinXP Pro).

Oops Found it in the (empty) dropdown box. Instead of the default empty value, maybe it should have a visible entry?

If I choose "Always react this way" then those values are recorded in the table as expected.

Thanks to all for helping me with this one.