PDA

View Full Version : Strange behavior after immunizing and updating

diverlee
2008-02-11, 05:55
I too had problems initially updating with version 1.5.2 (.22?) on my PC and other friends PCs I support. I finally decided to just remove the earlier version of Spybot Search & Destroy (S&D) using the Windows Control Panel, Add and Remove Programs function and resume with a fresh install of the newer S&D program. That seemed to work fine.

My problem started after loading the new version of S&D, including Immunizing, and then trying to run TrendMicro Internet Security 2007 (TM). TM would hang during the spyware scan operation. It would start the operation and report that 244 objects were scanned and then stopped reporting progress while the clock kept ticking. Not normal behavior. I duplicated this behavior on three different PCs.

After canceling TM and rebooting, I tried to remove the new version 1.5.2 of S&D, using Control Panel, Add and remove Programs. That resulted in an unusual delay while "populating" programs to be removed. After the screen finally populated, I removed S&D and rebooted. So far so good.

Without reloading S&D, I ran TM. It found 98 problems with the Hosts file. Many miscellaneous names, all suspect IMHO, with "Component ID" = 2324. Also, all had an IP address of 127.0.0.1.

I let TM remove all offenders. Rebooted and rescanned. No issues.

Now I am afraid to reload S&D and try TM again. Any others with this or similar problem? I love and use S&D and TM weekly and recommend same to others. But until this obvious conflict is resolved, I am at a loss.

I may be stupid, but not a newbie. DL.

kbz1960
2008-02-12, 17:12
Are you useing a paid version of TM or doing the online scan?

I read somewhere that the online scanner and I would assume the paid version falsely identify spybots immun list as adware memwatcher or something like that.

Maybe someone on the team can correct me if I'm wrong.

2008-02-13, 01:03
kbz1960 is correct. But again, not 100% sure. A spybot team member would know 4 sure.

bovie
2008-02-13, 02:17
i am surprised you got both working on the same system.i had avast and spybot working on my puter. decided to put TM on. uninstalled avast, went to install TM during the start up test TM detected Spybot and told me to uninstall it and try again. Don't believe this has changed

diverlee
2008-02-13, 05:38
Are you useing a paid version of TM or doing the online scan?

I read somewhere that the online scanner and I would assume the paid version falsely identify spybots immun list as adware memwatcher or something like that.

Maybe someone on the team can correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm using a paid full version of TM. When I run a scan with TM after updating S&D past 1.5.1.0, TM hangs during the spyware portion of the scan. I've duplicated this problem on three separate PCs, mine and two friends. Both friends use the same software and protection schemes that I use. I've used TM for years together with S&D, AdAware and SpywareBlaster. Never any issues until the recent update to S&D 1.5.2.2+.

I initially thought that the problem was from immunizing, but I proved myself wrong last night. In the interest of full disclosure, last night I noticed S&D has a new update called F/P Fixes. I haven't had time to explore what that is all about. It may well resolve my issues. Nor have I had a chance to review the TM forums.

This much I know, if I uninstall S&D version 1.5.2.+ and reinstall 1.5.1.0 or lower, TM scans just fine on all three systems. The problem is with either the S&D update or TM. What do think the chances are that TM will admit the problem is with their software?

I also noticed that after uninstalling the 1.5.2 update and running a TM scan, TM finds 98 problems with the Hosts file. I simply pointed that out in an effort to help further identify potential underlying issues.

On a separate note, without an email announcement, I would not know there was a response to my initial post. I can't seem to find my post. Did I post this in an unusual place? Or are there so many problems that it is simply pushing my post lower in the pecking order?:snorkle:

diverlee
2008-02-27, 06:25
I too had problems initially updating with version 1.5.2 (.22?) on my PC and other friends PCs I support. I finally decided to just remove the earlier version of Spybot Search & Destroy (S&D) using the Windows Control Panel, Add and Remove Programs function and resume with a fresh install of the newer S&D program. That seemed to work fine.

My problem started after loading the new version of S&D, including Immunizing, and then trying to run TrendMicro Internet Security 2007 (TM). TM would hang during the spyware scan operation. It would start the operation and report that 244 objects were scanned and then stopped reporting progress while the clock kept ticking. Not normal behavior. I duplicated this behavior on three different PCs.

After canceling TM and rebooting, I tried to remove the new version 1.5.2 of S&D, using Control Panel, Add and Remove Programs. That resulted in an unusual delay while "populating" programs to be removed. After the screen finally populated, I removed S&D and rebooted. So far so good.

Without reloading S&D, I ran TM. It found 98 problems with the Hosts file. Many miscellaneous names, all suspect IMHO, with "Component ID" = 2324. Also, all had an IP address of 127.0.0.1.

I let TM remove all offenders. Rebooted and rescanned. No issues.

Now I am afraid to reload S&D and try TM again. Any others with this or similar problem? I love and use S&D and TM weekly and recommend same to others. But until this obvious conflict is resolved, I am at a loss.

I may be stupid, but not a newbie. DL.

I ultimately resolved the conflict by upgrading my Trend Micro Internet Security 2007 to the 2008 version.

Only one year into a three year subscription, I was disappointed I had to upgrade my antivirus software for compatibilty. Moreover, an upgrade should not have been necessary so soon to avoid conflicting with such a popular and useful tool as Spybot - Search and Destroy.